ACE 350 or the AT Pro?

wdkingery

Mar 7, 2011
Hello all. This is my first post so i don't know if i've entered flamer hell (as on my mustang forum.)

The title says it all: i can afford the AT Pro, but the only thing i see that is of more value, and it is a good one, is the Pro audio setting; i like the idea of swinging that thing and getting a changing sound as i come across a find.

Is that even how it works?

best question yet: is there a cheaper-than-the-AT Pro detector out there that has the changing audio?

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only you can answer that , but if it was me and I could afford it I would buy the AT Pro . The pro mode will come in handy as you use the detector more . And it is water proof , that means more than taking it under water also. The rain ,splash things of that sort.

And yes there are cheaper detectors out there , so you have to ask yourself how much you want to put into this hobby ?
Nothing wrong with the 350 , it's just a lesser unit compared to the AT Pro !

Good luck !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daedalus said:
Only you can answer that , but if it was me and I could afford it I would buy the AT Pro . The pro mode will come in handy as you use the detector more . And it is water proof , that means more than taking it under water also. The rain ,splash things of that sort.

And yes there are cheaper detectors out there , so you have to ask yourself how much you want to put into this hobby ?
Nothing wrong with the 350 , it's just a lesser unit compared to the AT Pro !

Good luck !

The AT Pro is waterproof, the ACE is not, you can detect in the rain with the AT PRO and it will not hurt it, you can't with the Ace, You can take AT PRO in the water chest deep and not worry about it, the Ace you can't, the ACE coil is water proof, raise the coil above the controls, step in one hole, trip or what ever and your ACE detector is a good paperweight...

There area few a little cheaper, but can't say they are better......And by the way did I mention the AT PRO is waterproof, you can throw it in the shower or under a hose to clean it up........That is also a big advantage if you get caught in a sudden rain storm or shower...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

Treasure Hunter is right as aways. :thumbsup:

The 350 is still a good detector, but does not have the changing tones, better disc, Iron Audio, choice of waterproof head phones if you fall down in the water let alone get the 350 wet.

Are there cheaper detectors out there that have changing tones for helping ID the target? NO.
Excal's cost over $1000, same with CZ-21's, and forget the White's, etc.

Check out the manufacturers web sites for lots more info.

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
This is a question I have been seriously agonizing over and finally took action to. For the past three years I have have owned two ace 250's and had a lot of use from them. Believe me, I have been in the field with other folks that have $1200 detectors and done better than them with the ace 250. Those two detectors have pulled some amazing things from the ground and paid for themselves many times over. Well, both my coils are shot, and I am a little tired of the range and depth of the machine. several times I have been out detecting in rain and had water get into the system, or dirt, or mud, and had to clean the machine. I have also run into frequency problems with the Ace 250 that has prevented me fom detecting near streets or over head lines. Sooooo I finally did this... bought the AT Pro (found out it's backordered at Kellyco) and flipped for a new double D coil for the Ace 250 since they are on a 3 day sale. The total came to $709 with coil covers for both.....I think that I will be very happy this spring!!!!!!! :icon_thumright: HH Michellets

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the two I would have to go for the AT Pro but only as your limiting yourself to Garrett products.

If you don't intend going into the water there's lots of audio discriminating machines including some Polish/Bulgarian that offer some discrimination in the all metal mode. As the Garretts U.K. price has been set rather high there's lots of alternatives over in Europe. The DFX has audio discrimination, tone audio frequency to allow you to match your hearing and lots of features from the choice of single or dual frequency, adjustable sweep speed, adjustable hot rock rejection, adjustable filters, mixed mode etc etc all for $100+ less. These extra features may suit your detecting style better or be what you need to tame your local sites.

If there's a detecting club near you I'd see what the successful members are using.

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between the 2 go with the AT PRO.....350 is a great detector but my opinion the AT PRO can get deeper and better on target ID.......Good luck............

ultraflight77

Dec 24, 2010
South bend,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Compadre
If you can afford it get the at pro,The binary pro audio will allow you to hear faint signals that a standard audio detector will miss.At pro is waterproof! It has a standard mode that works like the 350 which will aid a beginner then you can advance to the pro mode. You may grow out of the 350 and wish you would have gotton the AT pro. I know thats how it goes for me,I buy something, grow out of it and spend more $ than if I would have bought the more expensive one in the 1st place >:(. Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

czoom

Feb 11, 2011
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Garrett ACE 250
No ground balancing with Ace 350. AT pro has many more great features. Both are great though.

gradechecker69

Jul 2, 2012
Southern OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT-Pro, Sovereign Elite and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm like ultraflight, I grew out of my Ace 350. The 350 is a great machine and has made me some great finds. With winter not to far away I want a waterproof machine and the other features as well. I have a pro in the mail as we speak!>:D

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you see that the AT Pro would be a better choice if you can afford it, now you have to ask yourself AT Pro or AT Gold and this would depend on where you live. If you live where there is gold bearing rock and plan on hunting the old gold ghost towns then the AT Gold may be for you. Salt water then may be the Pro would be a better choice.
Just something else you may want consider.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is waterproof, the ACE is not, you can detect in the rain with the AT PRO and it will not hurt it, you can't with the Ace, You can take AT PRO in the water chest deep and not worry about it, the Ace you can't, the ACE coil is water proof, raise the coil above the controls, step in one hole, trip or what ever and your ACE detector is a good paperweight...

There area few a little cheaper, but can't say they are better......And by the way did I mention the AT PRO is waterproof, you can throw it in the shower or under a hose to clean it up........That is also a big advantage if you get caught in a sudden rain storm or shower...

This!....I couldnt have said it any better except...when it does rain just watch all the others run for the car/shelter...as you stay out there digging all the goodies...YES this happens to me!

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
kayden said:
the others run for the car/shelter...
This is something other than here in Sweden,
I have never ever seen anyone else with a metaldetector in my country, have read about some ppl here on forums but never seen In real..
Good thing is no competition. :)

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was facing a similar choice (the 350 versus the AT Pro) and researched this over the last ten days.
I was really tempted by the large price difference to take a chance on the 350. I had to give this a lot of consideration but realized that I'd just eventually upgrade to a more capable model. For me the better ground balance, the waterproofness, and the variable tones of Pro Mode sold me. I wound up ordering from Bart from BigBoysToys; I ordered the AT Pro. Lesche, and a PP. Bart provided some good information, great prices, and really fast shipping. The package from Bart arrived last night. My wife and did some quick bench tests to get familiar with the tones in Pro mode and gave it a test drive on our property. We're both delighted!

-Wolfgang

Jcar

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Wolfgang,

I was curious as to which machine you decided to go with from your previous posts. Congrats on the AT Pro :-)

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Really happy with my choice but due to the price I had to really carefully consider this and it wound up being almost a no-brainer after a while.

Last edited:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you made the right call the at pro is an amazing machine and its waterproof cant go wrong

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an ACE 350 for a while, found some GREAT things!! I upgraded to the AT Pro and found all the even GREATER things my ACE 350 couldn't reach or straight up didn't detect.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone mention the AT-Pro is waterproof........:laughing7:

Larry

Top Member Reactions