Ace 400 First Impressions.... ... FAIL

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife wanted to start going with me Detecting, i wanted to get her something good yet simple as not to descourage her with more complex Machines.
I have two major flaws about it for me.
Fist, Its extremely Loud and annoying. NO VOLUME CONTROL REALLY. Niether of us like wearing headphones which is the only way to turn it down.
Second, No Ground Bal, Seriously?
Although Wce has good reviews i gotta say im unimpressed it reminds me of a cheap chinese 59.00 machine.
Field test to come later.
for 339.00 im unimpressed.
I should have gotten her the Discoverty 3300 id had great luck with that machine easy to use and adjust and found lots if coins and rings untill the rings paid for my Whites XLT.
I myself now run a Nokta Impact Pro version. its a bit of a learning curve but i will.say it goes Deep Real Deep.. my only fight is pinpointing it keeps missing the pinpoint but im nit used to a DD coil i always used the Whites 950 coil... any tips are appreciated on these subjects.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, in that price range, you should have just gotten another Simplex.

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, in that price range, you should have just gotten another Simplex.
That was my error nit sure why i said Simplex mine is a nokta Impact pro and was 600.00 ish but was the bug package with extras. im.still learning the machine. its complicated. i did nit hoose the simplex for one reason! it has usb chrager and internal battery. so what do u do after that bettery fails ... seems a hassle. shes getting used to the ace and it seems to do the job i did end up taping over the volume speaker it helps.

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why people have a problem with the latest batteries......internal or not. I wish everything I own that takes batteries used Li ion's or LiPo's. Just because they may be internal doesn't mean they aren't replaceable. My Equinox internal battery is still going strong after almost 4 years now. I have an external spare battery and have yet to use it!

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my 400, but I knew going in that it didn't have volume control or manual ground balance.
It also doesn't come with a cup holder or third row setting, but I also knew that before buying it.

I'm joking, but you can't really blame the machine. Both those points are pretty well known about the ACE series.
The latest Apex model has both those attributes.

I guess I'm lucky, I have gotten away with no manual ground balance sense 2008. I understand that some folks live where you can't detect without it. My headphones have volume control, but I have done the duck tape on my 250 with good results too.

I hope you can exchange your 400 for something she will like better.

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my 400, but I knew going in that it didn't have volume control or manual ground balance.
It also doesn't come with a cup holder or third row setting, but I also knew that before buying it.

I'm joking, but you can't really blame the machine. Both those points are pretty well known about the ACE series.
The latest Apex model has both those attributes.

I guess I'm lucky, I have gotten away with no manual ground balance sense 2008. I understand that some folks live where you can't detect without it. My headphones have volume control, but I have done the duck tape on my 250 with good results too.

I hope you can exchange your 400 for something she will like better.
nah were using it.. one issue is every time i turn on pin pointer the 400 starts screaming even four feet away ..thats annoying tried turning sensitivity down no lo luck..

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nah were using it.. one issue is every time i turn on pin pointer the 400 starts screaming even four feet away ..thats annoying tried turning sensitivity down no lo luck..
If you have your manual, page 6 talks about the minor adjustments you can make to the Frequency. "Changing Frequency", it is used to help avoid interference from other electrical noise. Like another detector, power lines or even a pin pointer. You might try it and see if it helps.
I have been lucky to have never needed to change it.

You can find the manual in PDF form online.

Good luck.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know others have said it, but I cannot see spending that amount of money on anything less than the Simplex. Its just what your asking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread