ACE Wouldn't power up

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 400 had been put away for the winter. All was well when I removed the batteries last year.

Put new batteries in and it wouldn't come on. Put the batteries in my working ACE 250 to test them.

All the contact points looked good, and shinny. But the first spring contact coming out of the control box looked a little tarnished. Shinned it up a bit with a finger nail file and now all is well. Plan to clean it up a little better before I take it out next.

This is now my back-up after buying an Apex. Thinking about a bigger coil. I'm working on getting a couple of large field permissions, I think the bigger coil would be of use there. Plus that coil would work on my 400 and on my 250. Got a friend planning to hunt with me this year, he will be using one or the other.

This contact issue could happen to any of the ACE series that use 4 AA batteries. It is made worse when folks don't take the batteries out when it sits for months.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you try putting a couple rolled up pieces of aluminum foil to try and make contact ?

OP
OP
seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you try putting a couple rolled up pieces of aluminum foil to try and make contact ?
Once I cleaned the tarnished spring all is good. The batteries all fit tight.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT !!!!
Never leave batteries in a machine .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions