Acquired Old ship anchor - any info most appreciated.

Stormyweather

May 22, 2022
Old ship anchor

20220522_150704-jpg.2028167

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 7

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No metal crossbar and the flukes are wrong. Looks like old pattern British admiralty anchor.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No metal crossbar. Looks like old pattern British admiralty anchor.
Crossbars are often missing OR removed in many cases.
And flukes are so severely deteriorated to the point of non recognition.
With this even... the style is still within overall kedge AND Admiralty styles... which IMO is often one in the same... it is a "long shank" version.

This style has been around for eons... and yes... Could be earlier for sure though.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find thats for sure. Did you spray it with something to preserve it ? Did you find it diving ?

OP
OP
S

Stormyweather

May 22, 2022
Nice find thats for sure. Did you spray it with something to preserve it ? Did you find it diving ?
What would you recommend I cover it with to help preserve it? I acquired it from a bayside home on Campobello Is., NB, Canada.

DJV

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to use to/how to preserve it? Suggestions? (THANKS.)
I'm no expert in metal restoration / preservation, but I can tell you what I did for for my old anchors. A lot of what you can do depends on the fragility of the remaining metal. You'll need to carefully assess the piece for stability, then, carefully, remove any loose metal. Then apply a film of light oil to the piece to stop any further rusting. Applying a rust-proofing paint may also be an option, but I've never chose to do that. Ultimately, it would be best to consult a metallurgist for advice. It would be a crying shame to see that beautiful anchor deteriorate to a pile of rust-dust!

OP
OP
S

Stormyweather

May 22, 2022
I'm no expert in metal restoration / preservation, but I can tell you what I did for for my old anchors. A lot of what you can do depends on the fragility of the remaining metal. You'll need to carefully assess the piece for stability, then, carefully, remove any loose metal. Then apply a film of light oil to the piece to stop any further rusting. Applying a rust-proofing paint may also be an option, but I've never chose to do that. Ultimately, it would be best to consult a metallurgist for advice. It would be a crying shame to see that beautiful anchor deteriorate to a pile of rust-dust!
TY so much!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i used to find civil war Cannon shells i would clean them up real good. Then after they was dry i would spray them wigth a clear coat type spray. I just used a cheap spray. Just enough to keep the air off of it.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd ask the folks at the Huntsman Marine Science Centre for their assistance. Perhaps they may know of wreck in the area that would be a candidate for your anchor.
Address: 1 Lower Campus Rd, St. Andrews, NB E5B 2L7, Canada

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

Victoria Day might affect these hours

Phone: +1 506-529-1200
Don.....

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
If the anchor has been out of the water for a long time, it's not likely to deteriorate quickly now. Its deterioration should be mostly done except for surface rusting if it is left in the weather. The striations suggest forging rather than casting and may help date it.
I'm no expert but have recovered many iron artifacts from the soil and from fresh water. I have also pressure impregnated porous cast iron cannonballs from the ocean that would have totally disintegrated if not treated. The salt throughout their interior just keeps attracting moisture and eating away. Not so with the forged items I have found. Their internal structure seems to be impervious., so they deteriorate from the outside in.

OP
OP
S

Stormyweather

May 22, 2022
When i used to find civil war Cannon shells i would clean them up real good. Then after they was dry i would spray them wigth a clear coat type spray. I just used a cheap spray. Just enough to keep the air off of it.
TY!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you going to post pictures of the crossbar or ? ? ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread