Acquired Old ship anchor - any info most appreciated.

Stormyweather

May 22, 2022
Old ship anchor

20220522_150704-jpg.2028167

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
S

Stormyweather

May 22, 2022
If the anchor has been out of the water for a long time, it's not likely to deteriorate quickly now. Its deterioration should be mostly done except for surface rusting if it is left in the weather. The striations suggest forging rather than casting and may help date it.
I'm no expert but have recovered many iron artifacts from the soil and from fresh water. I have also pressure impregnated porous cast iron cannonballs from the ocean that would have totally disintegrated if not treated. The salt throughout their interior just keeps attracting moisture and eating away. Not so with the forged items I have found. Their internal structure seems to be impervious., so they deteriorate from the outside in.
This totally makes sense and it has been out of the water for a long time.. . Years for sure.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting, From the way it rusted, looks like it was pretty deep in mud, probably pulled from harbor bottom in the 1980's.
The knowledge regarding this item/topic is amazing. Not only was the anchor recovered in the waters of NS Canada we have now the Boston Tea party/burned ships/deep in the mud.

Really-this is utterly amazing research from a incomplete picture of the anchor. (waiting for the piece that is on the other side of the tree to be photographed)
I sit and I go :dontknow:how some have such knowledge on different things.
I learn something new everyday.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The knowledge regarding this item/topic is amazing. Not only was the anchor recovered in the waters of NS Canada we have now the Boston Tea party/burned ships/deep in the mud.

Really-this is utterly amazing research from a incomplete picture of the anchor. (waiting for the piece that is on the other side of the tree to be photographed)
I sit and I go :dontknow:how some have such knowledge on different things.
I learn something new everyday.
heh heh heh

DJV

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i used to find civil war Cannon shells i would clean them up real good. Then after they was dry i would spray them wigth a clear coat type spray. I just used a cheap spray. Just enough to keep the air off of it.
How has the clear-coat stood up to the test of time? Is it preventing further deterioration?

King Canslaw

Nov 30, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old ship anchor

20220522_150704-jpg.2028167
dang man that is awe some my man. it mite be from a spanesh gallon. I was sellin some old cadillac converters i had at savage yard and saw one of theseanchors in the scrape iron pile when i made offer to by it the guy said he cood not sell it because he taut it was from spanesh gallon and worth a lot of money. i said hey man i have a lot of money in cadillac converters here, let us trade. he scrathed his beerd an said he probly better not sell it. i most started crying be cuz i wanted it badly.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you don't find any info from the previous named place try contacting The Lagina Brothers from the Oak Island Mystery. Thats right up their alley if from the 1700;s.
They could probably run at least a whole season off that anchor.
The twists are endless.
Seriously they can milk it for what it's worth.

OP
OP
S

Stormyweather

May 22, 2022
I,ll give 50.00,not including shipping.Seriously,it,s a cool anchor,but lacking any documentation that ties it to a specific,famous ship,it,s just a cool anchor.Posting it 3 or 4 times ain,t gonna make it more valuable.
FYI: I am interested in it's history and/or any info about its age, what kind of ship it'd been used on, etc. I had hoped that my complete lack of knowledge could be added to by others who have knowledge of such things, that's all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice anchor.. Stormyweather, crash was just joking about buying.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ll give 50.00,not including shipping.Seriously,it,s a cool anchor,but lacking any documentation that ties it to a specific,famous ship,it,s just a cool anchor.Posting it 3 or 4 times ain,t gonna make it more valuable.
Was indeed a joke,get the part about shipping? Think about what that would cost. My point is that other than an anchor there,s nothing that ties it to any ship or type of ship and only vague guesses as to age.I said it,s a cool anchor,I meant that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread