Action west of Winchester, VA

JChambers

Mar 25, 2007
New Jersey
Yes there were, it all depends on what area of WV you are looking for exactly. One of the best readings on the subject is Henry Kyd Douglass' accounts entitled, "I rode with Sonewall". Early on in the book he talks of all the early movements and actions of Stonewall's division. Tell me what you are looking for specifically I can surely help.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually still in VA, the address is Winchester, but it's 9 miles west of the city. All of the battle maps I have seen have the concentration of troops in the city and in Kernstown. The area I am looking for is between Hayfield and Mountain Falls. I have attached a map of the area, within the blue circle is where I am referring.

I appreciate your help!!

Attachments

• BackMountain.jpg
    BackMountain.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 334

JChambers

Mar 25, 2007
New Jersey
The area around Winchester was widely used by both sides during the war. The city itself changed hands nine times during the course of the fights. Im not sure of any campsites or major fights that took place out there, but I will do research for you. Im usually pretty good at this so I will help you as much as I can. You may want to check out the book by Henry Kyd Douglas thta I mentioned earlier, it gives very detailed accounts of Jackson's valley campaign and his actions around Winchester. Maybe even Company H. by Sam Watkins...I know that there were a lot of troop movements around the area. I'll get back to you with whatever I can find.

JChambers

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
If you can find a place to hunt near Kernstown, you will be lucky. It is a booming area. I live nearby and there has been alot of growth there. Stories have it that as it was being excavated alot, and I mean alot, of detectors found some awesome things.

I'm wishing ya luck!!!!

DM

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JChambers,

I appreciate the help, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Digginman,

If I find a place near Kernstown, I will be sure to give you a shout and we can hook up.

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in Winchester. It looks like you are in the Shawnee Land area. There was Civil War action all around Winchester. There were 3 battles in Winchester and 2 in Kernstown. In there area you have circled there are no battlefields but probably has old relics. If you can find a spring or well there may have been CW camps there.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RockyDig said:
I live in Winchester. It looks like you are in the Shawnee Land area. There was Civil War action all around Winchester. There were 3 battles in Winchester and 2 in Kernstown. In there area you have circled there are no battlefields but probably has old relics. If you can find a spring or well there may have been CW camps there.

There is an old foundry down the road from the house. Would this have been used during the war?

JChambers

Mar 25, 2007
New Jersey
The foundry probably would not have been used at the time, but there is most likely a water source somewhere nearby the foundry. Check that area out and you will most likely find a site.

JC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread