Advice on new machine

sandscraper

Jun 30, 2022
Holden beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. New member here and excited to find a community to share my passion with. I have been using entry level machines for a few years now mainly due to financial reasons, I can now afford to step up to better equipment. I am looking for a new machine in the $600-$1000 range and the more I research the more confused about what I want I get. I will be hunting primarily on the beachs and wet salty areas in SE North Carolina. I am hoping there are some users out there in the same area that might be able to fill me on machines they have had success with. Detectors I am looking at are Garrett at pro & max, minelab nox 600 & 800, fisher f75, Nokta legend, Garrett ace, vanquish 540. I don’t mind spending the money if it makes a difference but hate to drop a wad of money on a new machine that isn’t going to perform any better in the salty wet areas I tend to hunt. Really appreciate any advice from anyone. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 5

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the Garrett ATs or Ace or any single frequency VLF machine, they do not do well in wet salt sand. That leaves you with the multi frequency machines or pulse induction detectors. PI machines do not discriminate much so you probably will like the multi frequency machines more. The Garrett multi frequency seem to have poor reviews. I'd get the top multi frequency machine I could afford.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. New member here and excited to find a community to share my passion with. I have been using entry level machines for a few years now mainly due to financial reasons, I can now afford to step up to better equipment. I am looking for a new machine in the $600-$1000 range and the more I research the more confused about what I want I get. I will be hunting primarily on the beachs and wet salty areas in SE North Carolina. I am hoping there are some users out there in the same area that might be able to fill me on machines they have had success with. Detectors I am looking at are Garrett at pro & max, minelab nox 600 & 800, fisher f75, Nokta legend, Garrett ace, vanquish 540. I don’t mind spending the money if it makes a difference but hate to drop a wad of money on a new machine that isn’t going to perform any better in the salty wet areas I tend to hunt. Really appreciate any advice from anyone. Thanks in advance.
Try the NOkta Legend -great quality and price!
I use the Simplex , another consideration
Sounds like you are doing research
You could use a waterproof machine
Good luck and happy hunting!
Welcome to TNet

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with gunsil, forget the Garretts and the Fisher F75, Get a waterproof true multifrequency machine for salt water beach use. In your price range, the Legend and Equinox would fit the bill. I haven't tried the Legend yet, but, I have 1000's of hours on the Equinox. I can highly recommend it for all types of hunting on land and shallow water. If you plan on diving, you'd have to have a bit better budget.

Tony-Ok

Jun 27, 2019
Oklahoma City Ok
Detector(s) used
XP ORX and Minelab 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you said mainly salty wet , I would go with the NM Legend …. Very new MSF. Waterproof, built well . It is UPDATEABLE……… of the 2 Garrett’s you listed, the Pro has way better audio.The Nox 600,800 can go in the water but …… some have had leaking problems. No on the F75. If you get the ML 540 dropped in the water, it’s toast !!! No on the ACE .Safest and best bet is the NM Legend !!! My 2 cents after 42 years in the metal detecting hobby !!! HH Tony

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your prices range I would recommend buying two machines not one. A Minelab 540 pro pack for $500 and a quest x10 pro at $200 for the beach. I have both. Spending more money for just one machine is not logical to me. The higher priced the machine is usually means it is a longer learning curve and for some can just mean a lot of frustration.. try two machines and have more fun.

OP
OP
S

sandscraper

Jun 30, 2022
Holden beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your prices range I would recommend buying two machines not one. A Minelab 540 pro pack for $500 and a quest x10 pro at $200 for the beach. I have both. Spending more money for just one machine is not logical to me. The higher priced the machine is usually means it is a longer learning curve and for some can just mean a lot of frustration.. try two machines and have more fun.
I hadn’t thought about 2 different machines. The 540 was one of my top contenders. Today I am between the equinox 600 and nokta legend. I am really wanting a new detector that has enough features and customization that I can learn and grow with. Not necessarily the last detector I buy, but one that will keep me learning new things and hopefully finding more targets. I’m really leaning toward the legend, but it’s newness and being made in turkey are giving me cold feet. I like that the 600 is tried, true, and tested and have heard much more good than bad about it.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn’t thought about 2 different machines. The 540 was one of my top contenders. Today I am between the equinox 600 and nokta legend. I am really wanting a new detector that has enough features and customization that I can learn and grow with. Not necessarily the last detector I buy, but one that will keep me learning new things and hopefully finding more targets. I’m really leaning toward the legend, but it’s newness and being made in turkey are giving me cold feet. I like that the 600 is tried, true, and tested and have heard much more good than bad about it.
The 600 is a good machine for sure. I considered it too. I am sure you will enjoy it. Hard to beat Minelab.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try them all out and get one you CAN UNDERSTAND what the machine is TELLING YOU !!!. Your ability to understand the machine is VITAL> One someone else can understand still might not be FOR YOU !! Go try therm ALL OUT !!!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P s. The quest x10 pro is waterproof. A plus for the beach.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P s. The quest x10 pro is waterproof. A plus for the beach.
Except it only "selectable" multi-frequency.....not the ticket for salt water.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except it only "selectable" multi-frequency.....not the ticket for salt water.
True. But still a good beach machine for $200 He wanted to stay between $600 and $1000 Looks like your machines are much more expensive. I have the x10 pro and a Minelab vanquish and the x10 is on par with the vanquish with the v8 coil For old farm sites.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sandscraper

Jun 30, 2022
Holden beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled the trigger on the Nokta Legend. I bought through a reputable local shop and got an incredible deal. I’ve had for a few weeks now and so far I couldn’t be happier…actually I absolutely love it. I took it out on the beach for the first time and found a 139 gram 14k chain at about 6 inches and a rose gold ring at no less than 14 inches. The depth of the ring blew my mind…I couldn’t believe finding something at that depth. I feel like I went from a 1970 VW Beetle to a 2022 Tesla plaid edition.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled the trigger on the Nokta Legend. I bought through a reputable local shop and got an incredible deal. I’ve had for a few weeks now and so far I couldn’t be happier…actually I absolutely love it. I took it out on the beach for the first time and found a 139 gram 14k chain at about 6 inches and a rose gold ring at no less than 14 inches. The depth of the ring blew my mind…I couldn’t believe finding something at that depth. I feel like I went from a 1970 VW Beetle to a 2022 Tesla plaid edition.
I got to say with an "endorsement" like that I may need a new one AFTER ALL!

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox

Spill

Oct 15, 2022
Do you think it's worth getting the pro package for the sniper coil? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a legend and now I'm down to looking at the different packages

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread