ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seek permission to detect private property. I don't know about the laws on detecting public land in Georgia, but there a lot of people on here from Georgia. Maybe some of them will chime in. Good Luck!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I think I would quit the hobby if all I could do is ask for private's permissions, if I had that scenario when I started. I wouldn't invest a lot into new gear for a while anyways.

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I was wondering if anyone has any advice for metal detecting in georgia since we cannot metal detect public property? I would appreciate any advice you have, i have been itching to dig a coin up! Thanks!
Tell me more.. I've not heard of not being able to hunt public property.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if anyone has any advice for metal detecting in georgia since we cannot metal detect public property? I would appreciate any advice you have, i have been itching to dig a coin up! Thanks!
I,m not from Georgia but i remember threads from Georgia members about detecting tot lots and the like. Welcome to Tnet!

OP
OP
F

Frogpoint

Greenie
Oct 26, 2021
Tell me more.. I've not heard of not being able to hunt public property.
So according to law it is illegal to hunt public property in georgia stated here.
  1. It is not legal to surface collect, dig, or metal detect on state property. This includes Civil War sites. (OCGA 12-3-10(n), 12-3-52)

OP
OP
F

Frogpoint

Greenie
Oct 26, 2021
I think I would quit the hobby if all I could do is ask for private's permissions, if I had that scenario when I started. I wouldn't invest a lot into new gear for a while anyways.
Yeah thats what the struggle for me is I have detecting my whole 6 acres and found neat things but I want to find a coin so bad!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So according to law it is illegal to hunt public property in georgia stated here.
  1. It is not legal to surface collect, dig, or metal detect on state property. This includes Civil War sites. (OCGA 12-3-10(n), 12-3-52)
That doesn,t rule out City or County properties. Check on the rules for those before you give up.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
That doesn,t rule out City or County properties. Check on the rules for those before you give up.
Yes, that is how it is here in Texas. "State owned property" is off limits, and historical sites for the most part. City land and city parks are allowed, until some karen decides she doesn't like what you are doing.

So state owned property is avoided but curb strips and city parks are allowed.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that is how it is here in Texas. "State owned property" is off limits, and historical sites for the most part. City land and city parks are allowed, until some karen decides she doesn't like what you are doing.

You,ve got to use your head and think.Not all property is State owned. Many Corps of Engineer properties are fair game,some are not.That,s why research and just asking around are important. Many lakes are city or county owned and have boat ramps,good places to detect. Schools? Usually every school is a separate case,some will allow you to detect and some won,t.Depends on the Superintendent or Principal at that school.If you don,t ask,you,ll never know. How about County Fairgrounds? There,s endless possibilities if you think about it.Don,t give up just because you read one regulation that seems to ban all detecting. I,m lucky in that I live in a very small town and I,m well known as is my family going back a while. No calling out the SWAT team if somebody spots me under the football bleachers at the High School.

OP
OP
F

Frogpoint

Greenie
Oct 26, 2021
You,ve got to use your head and think.Not all property is State owned. Many Corps of Engineer properties are fair game,some are not.That,s why research and just asking around are important. Many lakes are city or county owned and have boat ramps,good places to detect. Schools? Usually every school is a separate case,some will allow you to detect and some won,t.Depends on the Superintendent or Principal at that school.If you don,t ask,you,ll never know. How about County Fairgrounds? There,s endless possibilities if you think about it.Don,t give up just because you read one regulation that seems to ban all detecting. I,m lucky in that I live in a very small town and I,m well known as is my family going back a while. No calling out the SWAT team if somebody spots me under the football bleachers at the High School.
Lol thank you I will do more research!

OP
OP
F

Frogpoint

Greenie
Oct 26, 2021

Thank you for this information!

OP
OP
F

Frogpoint

Greenie
Oct 26, 2021
Michigan has the same restrictions on state land as well, except for a few specifically named beach areas. Almost all the parks where I live, in W Michigan are city and county though.

So I'm free to find can slaw and pull tabs as much as I want.

--Matt
Thank you for your input!

Shiningstar2

Apr 6, 2021
Loganville, Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in georgia & i metal detect. The best advice i can give you is to search family & friends places. Then you could go for a drive, in north ga & anywhere you see fields that have been or are plowed, is a good place to start. Stop & ask permission to search the field. Most people will let you hunt. The plowed fields are known for native american artifacts & some civil war artifacts. Old home places are good too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread