After all these years, finally silver!

cougar14

Aug 6, 2017
Concord
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting coming up on 5 years, successful enough to purchase an Equinox 800 mostly from finds from my ole Garrett Ace 400. As best I can remember, I've found around 2100 quarters, 1500 dimes, maybe 200 nickels, uncounted pennies, 4 Kennedy halves and 6 dollar coins, until yesterday. Got a solid 27, dug around 4 inches, looked like a little light was shining on it. A 1956 Rosie.
I understand finding silver in California is not expected to be productive, but Jeez, all these dudes who post they find silver every time they go out makes me go hmmm. Not saying I don't believe you, but..... It's still fun every time I get out.

Upvote 26

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Like said previously in this post, do the research and try to go to places that were popular during the silver coin era. Me and 5 other guys I hunt with have our best luck at old city parks that have been long neglected by the city and have turned into woods again. We get out 4 or 5 times per week and find something silver on a regular basis, wether it be coins or jewelry, but there are always days when we find nothing but relics or buttons or other bizarre stuff. I do think that the west coast will have less in the ground due to that fact that people haven’t been there as long as they have on the east coast. We hunt 9 of the parks on a regular basis, all different times of year in all weather conditions with a wide variety of machines as well. Do your research, use historic aerials.com, use lidar apps and make the effort to go where nobody wants to, it pays off.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver coin. If I remember right, it took me a few years to find my first silver coin. I'm glad they come a little quicker than that now ! Maybe you opened your flood gates.

OP
OP
C

cougar14

Aug 6, 2017
Concord
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess lightning really strikes twice - found another silver today!!! It's a 194_s, can't make out the last number yet, different park from my first last week. Not deep, guess it's been in circulation until recently. Took a pic of the first one, 1956, and the new one, hope I can figure out how to attach a pic. Like to find a silver quarter now, make my year.
Resized_20200725_165630.jpg

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Cougar14, congrats on your 1st & 2nd silver - I agree with "GoDeep" above - I plead guilty as being one of "those guys" that found a lot of SILVER coins and very old coins near the surface and many silver coins only 3 or 4 inches in the ground - because I started hunting over 49 years ago in 1971 with a Whites Beachcomber $75 new detector that had Zero discrimination and ONLY one tone and dug everything. In the first few years about 90% of all dimes thru DOLLARS were SILVER & Yes I even dug a Morgan & a Peace dollar in one outing & remember fondly that was in one very small School yard in Sandwich Illinois in 1972 - Oh, the "good old days"! Also many "seated & barber" silvers.

Last edited:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going! You've been very patient waiting for that beauty to turn up. Such great feeling seeing that silver coin gleem bright in the hole!

Oct 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Find old sites! Best place I have found silver was a farm field where I remembered a house burned down in the late 70's. Found 5 or 6 quarters including a standing liberty quarter and lots of silver dimes. I have been detecting for apx 6 years and have found over 50 silvers. Some sites have silver, some don't. I even found a silver thimble and 2 silver walking liberty half dollars in my garden. I have found 3 large cents and an 1849 sitting liberty half dime. Never give up, just research locations. My best finds have been within a mile of my home in the country, including a county court seal. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread