jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Los Angeles herald. (Los Angeles [Calif.]), 27 July 1908.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=268

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the locations in this story match. Goldrun Oregon does not exist based on my research into Oregon ghost towns and historical post offices. Goose lake straddles Oregon/California border south of lake view Oregon. Warren or warren’s lake is no where near this area. Also, that part of Oregon/California not known for prospects.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a ways from Goose Lake. Good Bet than lake names are wrong. I’ll check with Lakeview historical society see if they have info on Goldrun location. Post what I find here. There are mines in that area just across the Oregon/Nevada state line. So part of the story fits. I have driven the road from Lakeview OR to Winemucca NV several times. Used to be paved. Now graded. No services from Lakeview until Denio Junction. Wide open antelope country. Big promotion in 1950s to build interstate highway from “Winemucca to the sea”. Shortest route from Middle of country to southern Oregon and coast. State troopers only patrolled once a week. Had to carry gas cans and water. 100 mile stretch of high desert between gas stops. We used to hunt mule deer in Steens mountains NE of Lakeview in 60s. Beautiful country and wide open. The corner of Oregon/Nevada/Idaho still pristine country.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last part of the article sounds like a real estate promotion. Thank god it never was settled. Thanks for posting the story. Brings back memories from my youth!

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The starting points are Lakeview OR and Likely CA. If distances are correct puts Goldrun in area from Adel Oregon northward towards Hart Mountain.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, Goldrun was incorporated July 2, 1908 by John W. Lofftus. Township 35, Range 24, Section 30.
(Listed in the Lakeview City Historical Survey Subdivision Index). Lake County Examiner newspaper from August 20, 1908 ran ad to purchase LOTs for $50 dollars each. (at least 10 references to Goldrun in Lake County Examiner during time frame). Township was located north of Plush (by Hart Lake) near Miners Draw in the Coyote Hills. PLush is 39 miles NE of Lakeview. (Info available from BLM Land Catalog Map from BLM Mining website. Take Hogback Road to Miners Draw, drive NE a few miles and you'll see mining activity. No remnants of the town remain. So the story has legs...Goldrun was a real place with very limited mining activity.

here's the interesting part. The article in post #1 cites E.H. Loftus as the source of the story...and that he and his brother found the lost cabin mine. Guess who is listed as the owner of the property on the township survey for "Goldrun"? John W. Lofftus. 2 items in the story are verifiable. Goldrun did exist as a mining township sometime around 1908. Based on the Township Survey and the 1908 Los Angeles herald Lost Cabin story, the Loftuss (Lofftus) brothers had filed claims in Lake County Oregon in 1908 time frame. Gives the story some legs...now to find 2 lakes and bald hills...

Attachments

• goldrun oregon.pdf
    192.7 KB · Views: 110

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your killing me Jeff. here's my process: (1) I am going to start searching timeline, dates, routes of travel for the Loftus brothers to and from Goldrun and pinpoint on a map.
(2) The "Oregon Wagon Road" ran through that area. Gotta find its path from nearest railroad terminus at the time (Likely, CA).
(3) Plot potential routes of travel from the (a) wagon road to the (b) railroad terminus.
(4) Plot ghost towns, mine camps, ranches, military roads/outposts in area.
(5) Plot shortest routes, days of travel based on terrain, river/stream crossings
Identify 3 possible routes and then, and only then, start looking for 2 lakes and the bald hills.
I've been in that country. The lakes very well could have changed. Army Corpes of Engineers very active in southern/eastern Oregon after WW2
with water projects. Those damn bald hills are everywhere in that part of the country so that's the last clue I will look for.

Anybody out there want to weigh in please do. There are no bad ideas at this early stage of researching a treasure lead.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More documents supporting existence of Township of Goldrun.
BLM Section MAP with location and newspaper ad selling Lots for $50.

Attachments

• Goldrun BLM Section map.pdf
    238.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Goldrun newspaper add 1908.pdf
    210.8 KB · Views: 101

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
report from Oregon Bureau of Mines attached. No activity at mining site as of 1916, ten years
after 1906 initial reports. Appears that Lost Cabin site failed to produce any notable gold and
played out rather early on after initial prospect. Will post more newspaper accounts later.

Attachments

• Oregon Bureau of Mines 1916.pdf
    96.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Lake County Report.pdf
    345.9 KB · Views: 97

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Uncle has a mine/claim in NV. The last time he tried to enter the mine he sent in smoke bombs. At least 20 rattlesnakes came out but many times that remained inside and upset. He has had problems with them for 50 years. Cousins will spend a couple days there once in a while. On a good weekend they will scratch or pan $150, usually $25 - $35. No one will tempt the snakes after a cousin found one at eye level on a ledge.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last post on "Goldrun" and Lofftus gold claims just north of Plush, Oregon. Appears a lot of interest initially,
several newspaper articles in local and state papers about first discoveries,
possibilities, land purchases, etc. It all petered out pretty quickly. After reading the newspaper accounts
and mining record it appears the Lofftus Brothers used the "Lost Cabin Mine" story to initially spur interest
from investors. there is nothing in the area today. No buildings or equipment. Evidence of mining activity
only thing left. If you are interested in the boom or bust era of eastern Oregon you can read from articles
found on website: www.oregonnews.uoregon.edu "Historic Oregon Newspapers". in search menu type in
"Lofftus" and "Goldrun" to read articles about subject.

Attachments

• Goldrun8.png
    Goldrun8.png
    948.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Goldrun9.png
    Goldrun9.png
    568.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Goldrun1.png
    Goldrun1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • Goldrun2.png
    Goldrun2.png
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • Goldrun3.png
    Goldrun3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 125

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Uncle has a mine/claim in NV. The last time he tried to enter the mine he sent in smoke bombs. At least 20 rattlesnakes came out but many times that remained inside and upset. He has had problems with them for 50 years. Cousins will spend a couple days there once in a while. On a good weekend they will scratch or pan $150, usually $25 - $35. No one will tempt the snakes after a cousin found one at eye level on a ledge.

Captn John, what part of Nevada is your uncles claim? Ever drive the loneliest highway in the US? I have. US 50 from Colorado, through Utah, clear cross Nevada. Folks that settled Nevada were tough as nails. Lots of great prospecting, mining, and treasure tales there.

Kevin H

KHydSAR

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2020
Astoria, OR
Detector(s) used
MineLab XTERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the problem here is a transcription error in the original directing newspaper article. If you replace "Warren's Lake" with "Warner Lakes," it drops you right in the Coyote Hills.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Found" mines, "lost" mines and "gold rich" country are always great selling points to attract new settlers to the area, didn't matter if there was any significant quantity of gold or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread