Age of .22 Bullet Found in Felled Cedar

RaxDaxle

Sep 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

New to the forum!

I was clearing land on my property up in Northern Minnesota this weekend (near the Boundary Waters), and when I was bucking logs into lengths of firewood, I spotted something shiny and silver lodged in a log, near the core of the log. After carefully digging it out, I found what appears to be a .22 bullet.

--> Log was about 18" in diameter. Bullet near the center of the log (white cedar). No sign of scarring on the tree from entry.
--> Thinking that given the location of the bullet (core of an 18" cedar), there's no way a .22 bullet could get that deep, unless it hit the tree when the tree was young. Guessing the tree was AT LEAST 50 years old.

Anybody got any guesses on how old this thing is? I grazed the bottom of the bullet with my chainsaw, so if there were identifying markings, they're gone. The town nearby is quite small and has lots of old blood. I thought it would be fun to get a rough estimate on the age of the bullet, then try and track down the person who shot it by talking with locals in the community... then give it to them as a gift (if I can find the person). They were most likely hunting grouse in the area, before there was a road.

Anybody got any ideas?

Bullet1.jpg bullet2.jpg Bullet3.jpg

Upvote 3

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately, with just the lead bullet there is no way to date the item.

OP
OP
R

RaxDaxle

Sep 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just dawned on me... Next time I'm up there, I can find a log from the same tree, and count the number of rings to give me a rough estimate of years of growth beyond the depth of where I found the bullet... That'll get me within 10 years or so.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My eyes are not as good as they were,but that appears to be Marlin Micro-Groove type rifling marks,You can easily find when Marlin started using that style rifling and combined with your ring counting you,ll probably get close.Like your bullet and the back story,let us know how it turns out,I,d love to know.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Good clue, the microgroove rifling. I see it too. Two sets of old eyes do not lie!
If the bullet was fired into the tree, it would travel quite a distance in soft cedar. The annual ring it stopped at would not be the age of the tree when it was hit. The first ring damaged by the bullet in its path would be.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something about that bullet rings a bell for me,the rather pronounced step down from the full caliber shank to the nose or ogive portion looks very familiar,brand specific is what I,m trying to say.If I think of it I,ll be sure to post it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread