invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, I found this button made of shell (I think) on top of the ground about 4 feet from where I dug this one-piece button. Other things dug in the vicinity were a LC, several other one-piece buttons, and a Scovill button - to name a few. The stone house that once stood there was built before 1818 and torn down in the late 1930s. Any help w/ the age would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Buttons1.jpg
    Buttons1.jpg
    833.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Buttons2.jpg
    Buttons2.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 57

Evan in CA

Dec 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a mother of peals button, very old I don?t now what years they were used

Upvote 0

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a mother of peals button, very old I don?t now what years they were used

Evan, thanks. I group MoP & shell together. Based on what I've read there was a demand for these buttons in the early 20th c. Just wonder if its older.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

Lenrac2, thanks. First place I detected in over 20 years not detected previously. Found most everything last year, but returned this year and detected between a woven wire fence and a rock (12" wide) w/ my Sharpshooter coil. That is where the tiny Imperial Standard button was found. Guess it pays to detect between a rock and a hard place! BTW I gave that button to a 10 year-old boy who along w/ his mom was picking up some tips.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These two were found on a late 1800s site and are about 1.25 inch in diameter. They are very fragile, I dont know how they lasted very long as they were used daily back then. I would not recommend any water cleaning or a lot of handling if it is this same type shell....Buttons are cool finds, always a welcome find for me.

zzsfr.JPG

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found a few examples of 'shell' buttons on c1830 - 60 sites as well. :thumbsup:
The examples I found were either two or four hole design.

The button you found looks to be a two-hole design.
Dave

Attachments

• 20160512_204518_resized_1-crop.jpg
    20160512_204518_resized_1-crop.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 29
  • WP_20161231_15_10_01_Rich (2).jpg
    WP_20161231_15_10_01_Rich (2).jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These two were found on a late 1800s site and are about 1.25 inch in diameter. They are very fragile, I dont know how they lasted very long as they were used daily back then. I would not recommend any water cleaning or a lot of handling if it is this same type shell....Buttons are cool finds, always a welcome find for me.

View attachment 1936166

villagenut, thanks for the examples and cleaning advice. Because the one I found was on the surface, it was already clean, so I put it in a 2"x2" coin holder for the time being.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few examples of 'shell' buttons on c1830 - 60 sites as well. :thumbsup:
The examples I found were either two or four hole design.

The button you found looks to be a two-hole design.
Dave

Hi Dave, the buttons you found are really detailed and appear in good shape! I'm reading the article "Development of the American Pearl Shell Button Industry", which discusses production in America & abroad rather than specifics on how to date a button. Still its a start...

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those coin holders are a bit of a squeeze, i would think, for a thin shell button. Be careful

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those coin holders are a bit of a squeeze, i would think, for a thin shell button. Be careful

villagenut, thanks for the concern. The button is so tiny that it seems to fit in a dime holder okay.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Dave, the buttons you found are really detailed and appear in good shape! I'm reading the article "Development of the American Pearl Shell Button Industry", which discusses production in America & abroad rather than specifics on how to date a button. Still its a start...
As you know buddy, unless they're set in brass or have some other metal attached, these tend to be 'eyeball finds' in the field.
I look at all shell, bone and glass button finds as a bonus. :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you know buddy, unless they're set in brass or have some other metal attached, these tend to be 'eyeball finds' in the field.
I look at all shell, bone and glass button finds as a bonus. :thumbsup:
Dave

Dave, I couldn't agree more:hello:. That little button is the one artifact I'm keeping in my collection from that property - the rest went to the historical society. Best of luck detecting - can't wait to see you next great find.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, I couldn't agree more:hello:. That little button is the one artifact I'm keeping in my collection from that property - the rest went to the historical society. Best of luck detecting - can't wait to see you next great find.
You're a very generous guy to always be donating a portion your finds, I tend to keep the good stuff for myself. :laughing7:

Thanks for the compliment too :thumbsup:
This morning I'm heading back to a hay field I detected on Friday, the weather looks pretty mild here today.
I found this Plumb Hammer there on Friday, I'll likely tumble it with some other stuff next week.

Best of luck to you buddy,
Dave

Attachments

• 20210706_062655.jpg
    20210706_062655.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a very generous guy to always be donating a portion your finds, I tend to keep the good stuff for myself. :laughing7:

Thanks for the compliment too :thumbsup:
This morning I'm heading back to a hay field I detected on Friday, the weather looks pretty mild here today.
I found this Plumb Hammer there on Friday, I'll likely tumble it with some other stuff next week.

Best of luck to you buddy,
Dave

Dave, thanks for the kudos. IMHO each detectorist has the right to do with their finds as they see fit (finder's keepers). After all if not for the detectorist, the artifacts would still be buried and possibly dissolving back into the earth.

What a cool hammer head.:hello2: I found (what I think) is the left half of one of those at my last permission. Cleaned it up, painted it w/ Rust Reformer, and gave it to the owner (a local park district), along w/ a bunch of other iron goodies. Hope you have success today. Just heard it pour rain here - so not much chance of me going out this AM. But we needed the rain more than I needed to detect!

Upvote 0

colby65

Jul 10, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shells have rings, much like tree rings, which give clues about oyster growth and age. Scientists can use local conditions (i.e. environmental clues - cold winters with slow growth and a dense age ring, warm summers with faster growth and a less dense ring) to determine the age of the Shell.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shells have rings, much like tree rings, which give clues about oyster growth and age. Scientists can use local conditions (i.e. environmental clues - cold winters with slow growth and a dense age ring, warm summers with faster growth and a less dense ring) to determine the age of the Shell.

colby65, thanks for the insight & welcome to TNet! I remember reading about the rings somewhere. I should've been more specific and asked about when was the button made versus the age of the shell used to make the button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the best laid plans...Rather than keep the shell button for my collection I decided to give it as an early birthday gift to a lady who used to live on the property where it was found. This Thursday she'll turn 1-0-3! See below for a picture of the button along w/ her b/d card & note I put inside. Couldn't find a card for 103, so improvised. If not for her, I'd never would have found where the old stone house once stood.

Because she likes history she enjoyed hearing how I found this button and mentored the 10 year-old boy.

Attachments

• 20210716_101625.jpg
    20210716_101625.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 40
  • HAPPY 103 BIRTHDAY PAULINE.pdf
    203.8 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid visiting my grandpa in Burlington Iowa probably around 1963-64, he'd take me fishing or just for walks along the banks and bluffs of the Mississippi. I remember seeing all these shells with multiple holes in them all along the sandy banks and asking my grandpa how those hole got in all these shells. He told me of a once large button factory that was just above the banks of the river was there above where all those holed mussel shells were found. I've found a few old shell button here and there and each one I find brings back that old memory of me and grandpa just hanging out so long ago.
https://www.thehawkeye.com/article/20170528/lifestyle/305289947

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid visiting my grandpa in Burlington Iowa probably around 1963-64, he'd take me fishing or just for walks along the banks and bluffs of the Mississippi. I remember seeing all these shells with multiple holes in them all along the sandy banks and asking my grandpa how those hole got in all these shells. He told me of a once large button factory that was just above the banks of the river was there above where all those holed mussel shells were found. I've found a few old shell button here and there and each one I find brings back that old memory of me and grandpa just hanging out so long ago.
https://www.thehawkeye.com/article/20170528/lifestyle/305289947

tamrock, thanks for the info on the shell button industry in your area. Glad you were able to spend time w/ your grandpa & that you hold on to those memories.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread