AKA LOST SAN SABA Silver mines in Menard, TX "area"...

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Re: AKA LOST SAN SABA Silver mines in Menard, TX "area"...

The stories I have heard point to a "Banking Mission" near Menard...near the San Saba River down in Texas. ( or a while back..New Spain)...Then maybe connected to a site over in Mills Co. TX. another mission/depository...some call "Dry Pond"?..hmm

Oddrock

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

One version has it that a military post (presidio) was erected on the north bank of the San Saba river before the mission was founded, and that the Viceroy had dragged his heels deliberately in making the grant so as to get his own stake in it. I even have suspicions about the assayer who performed the initial assays, <Aldaco> telling Miranda that he needed to have at least 40 mule loads worth of the ore to make a proper assessment of the values. The presidio was named San Luis de las Amarillas, and the mines must have been rich if Gov Miranda can be believed - "the mines which are in the Cerro de las Almagres are so rich that I guarantee to give to every settler in the province of Texas a full claim...The principal vein is more than two varas in width and in its westward lead appears to be of immeasurable thickness."
<letter from Don Bernardo de Miranda, Lt General of the province of Texas to the Viceroy, Feb 1756>

This is but scratching the surface - I look forward to your replies.
Oroblanco

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Seems like it WAS a "banking system" of SILVER MINES (aka Almagre Mines)... in TREASURE TROVE by Tim Haydock, pg 132-137.... "In the Llano region, near Honey Creek... 'the mines which are in the Cerro del Almalgre are so numerous...'" etc, etc (p 132). Get the book on amazon. com (used)... you'll be glad, you did! :wink: RAINING out... Coffee? :coffee2: :coffee2: ;D

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Muchas gracias mi compadre! :read2: :thumbsup:

Coffee? Of course! :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC

Are you located in San Antonio? Myself and a fellow co-worker are thinking about heading out and seeing what we can find. We are located at Fort Sam.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Sarge, if you are asking me, no I live in SD along ways from there but wish you the best of luck, and hope you will come back here and tell us about your adventures and finds! :thumbsup:
Roy ~ Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
No such thing as the Lost San Saba mine. Original Los Almagres is near Llano, is filled in by dirt from the shaft next to it, but yes there is ore around, not very good ore and that is that. If you want Pura Plata, go east out of Brady, Texas about 20-25 miles, go up the creeks and look for black rocks. They will be pure silver.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
One version has it that a military post (presidio) was erected on the north bank of the San Saba river before the mission was founded, and that the Viceroy had dragged his heels deliberately in making the grant so as to get his own stake in it. I even have suspicions about the assayer who performed the initial assays, <Aldaco> telling Miranda that he needed to have at least 40 mule loads worth of the ore to make a proper assessment of the values. The presidio was named San Luis de las Amarillas, and the mines must have been rich if Gov Miranda can be believed - "the mines which are in the Cerro de las Almagres are so rich that I guarantee to give to every settler in the province of Texas a full claim...The principal vein is more than two varas in width and in its westward lead appears to be of immeasurable thickness."
<letter from Don Bernardo de Miranda, Lt General of the province of Texas to the Viceroy, Feb 1756>

This is but scratching the surface - I look forward to your replies.

Miranda wasn't the governor. He was a SGT. that was promoted to Lt. and given the title of Lt.-General which meant that he was a Lt., but was in charge of the little expedition that went to the Llano area, found silver ore(Los Almagres) and made some interesting claims as to its worth. He wanted to be Capt. of the presidio if it was founded there. The San Saba stuff is all legend, none of it true and I suggest you read C. F. Eckhardt's book, "The Lost San Saba Mines". It is real history. By the way, Charlie is still alive(I think) and writes for Texas Escapes now(I think). Just telling it like it is...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions