Los Lunas NM

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Arbuckles3: I don't know how easy Alamocita Creek is to access but
if you start from Magdelena go NW on 169 into the Alamo Band
Navaho Rez. East of Alamo is where to go. This is in the Cebolla
Wilderness just North of Cibola National Forest. Spellings taken
from a Western Geographics map I've had for 20 years.
The creek rises in the Datil Mountains, possibly near the Lost Adams
Diggings.
Hopefully some of the New Mexican experts will chime in. . . lastleg

OP
OP
A

arbuckles3

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Los Lunas NM
thanks lastleg i was going to take the rio salado up to the creek but after looking on your directions that way will put me a lot closer with less time being on horseback lol since i haven't been on him all winter 8 hours horseback makes for a bad next day lol
once again thanks louis

actionstriping

Oct 16, 2007
i know of the area you are talking about , we spent some time out there earlyer in the year found some petroglifs where it gos into the rio salido . i did send a pic of it to your email

jag1022

Nov 23, 2008
Socorro, NM
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II sl
If you are heading out there I would be interested in going. I live in Socorro.

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / Nokta Impact / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arbuckles3,

I found the story in W.C. Jameson's book titled "New Mexico Treasure Tales". Another source was in a magazine called "Treasure Trails (Winter 1973) titled "New Mexico's Lost Gold-Laden Wagon Train", author: K. Carson, also try "A Guide to Treasure in New Mexico" by: Thomas Penfield and look the heading - Catron County.

By the way, who was this 'old man' you'd talked about? Is he a relative or friend? As far as I know is that the gold has not been discovered yet. :wink:

Best of Luck,

TC-NM

OP
OP
A

arbuckles3

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Los Lunas NM
hey tc the old man was a friend of my fathers the story was told to me 20 years ago
i have read the treasure tales book and thats why i am posting the question here because ive never heard of the story from any one else

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Arbuckles:

Before you get your hopes too high consider this.

Wagon trains east or west went the easiest way possible. That's why
the Sante Fe Trails travelled on less mountainous routes. The Raton
Pass entry was an exception. When they went to Bent's Trading Post
at La Junta, CO they were forced to cross this pass to get to Santa Fe.

If you can research and prove that some wagons coming east from
the goldfields wound up at Alamocita go on and pursue it. Remember
treasure finding requires LOGIC. The majority of supposed lost gold
stories start with an implausable notion.

All the best with your research. It can't hurt taking a look-see.

lastleg

OP
OP
A

arbuckles3

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Los Lunas NM
i agree lastleg and this can be some pretty rough country espically for a wagon train but you never know and besides money can never buy happiness for me its the thrill of the chase and being out in the back country

thanks man

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Right you are Arbuckles. The thrill of the hunt and seeing the actual
sites if what keeps the TH'er feeling alive. Good hunting.

lastleg

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
from "Four Days From Fort Wingate" by Richard French...

(I can only get parts of it>>>) "....From that intersection, this trail "Very Old Road," continued to the east-northeast where it soon entered the valley of Alamocita Creek. It followed the drainage of Alamocita Creek to where the creek entered the Rio Salado River. Along the Rio Salado, the trail went through old Spanish town of Riley and eventually connected with the big trails on the Rio Grande. ...."

My newspaper search is not giving me anything... :-[ :-\

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
lastleg said:
A big 'thankew' to Ron & Ann. lastleg

Your most welcomed....it would not allow me to view the page prior....so that is all I could get. I don't know if it helps any....but it was worth a shot :)

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
I ventured out there a couple of years ago...while looking at some land. followed the creek and noticed a couple of likely spots. I did ask at the library and a few old residences, but no one seemed to have any input. The Indians in Magdalena know, but they aren't talking. The area is easy to get to and there was never anyone around, but I just couldn't find a place to start. I will be going back out in a couple of months. If u find any pertinant info, let me know.

OP
OP
A

arbuckles3

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Los Lunas NM
black cloud if i find anything i will let ya know
i live about 20 miles from it in los lunas so its pretty easy for me to get there an back for a day trip but i will keep ya posted thanks

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Maybe you are confusing wagon train with a detachment of soldiers who were bringing a gold shipmentto Denver mint ....When it didnt arrive ,searchers from Fort Whipple were sent to Alamocita Creek and found their bodies buried under of the charred remains of their wagons....Years later in 1889,an old Apache living in Magdalena confessed to a newspaper interviewer as being one of the warriors in the raid.He said he had helped hide the gold in a cave near the creek and then filled the opening with sand and brush to make it look like the surrounding area.
A rancher named McCord traveled to the site many times afterwards looking for the gold....the remains of the wagons and graves are still there....

OP
OP
A

arbuckles3

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Los Lunas NM
hey gypsy thats in the book that i have but i was also told this story when i was a kid so im looking to see if any one else has heard the story but not from the book

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread