Ziggenation

Greenie
Oct 26, 2014
Elbe, Washington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have this crazy dream. I want to hire a bush pilot to drop me in a remote part of the Keani Peninsula with some supplies, a tent and a sluice box. I have started doing the research and wanted to reach out to the community as well. I want to get out past all the claims, on National Forest land, where it is less likely that the old timers cleaned everything out. Just a couple of buckets, a shovel and a sluice box.

Where do I start with this? I know it must be possible, but how to begin. Any guidance would be extremely appreciated.

Upvote 3

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides the equipment you listed your gonna need a gun....A Big Gun .
And I dont know about that "National Forest land " part :icon_scratch:

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're under 40 years of age, good health, knowledgeable about minerals. Go for it. BUT before you do; turn off all tv's, computers and your power for 30 days and see how you fare. Then if you are still sane, go to the woods and camp for another 30 days.
After cutting yourself off from all civilization on your initial trial run and you haven't lost your mind and if you are still inclined, go to the Bush, Good Luck!
Send me some pics

NAHMINT

Dec 19, 2021
VANCOUVER ISLAND BRITISH COLUMBIA can.
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
My ex.wife lived in HEALEY AK. for many years,off the STAMPEDE TRAIL about 25-30 miles from the ''BLUE BUS. Many people got in trouble on that short adventure........We have a small percent interest in a placer mine , up in WELLS/BARKERVILLE B.C. We ALWAYS pack shotguns with slugs...and lots of BUG LOTION....... Remember what happened to TIM TREADWELL up there...
I respect your idea to ''head out'' into the wilds,but its something that needs a lot of prep and research.\..........I wish you luck.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best money ever you will spend is to equip yourself with this and a small solar panel.
12ga. with a box of buck/slug suggested also
1/2 gallon of bug dope-unless you opt to use mud
Food/cooking gear=length of time
Don't forget the chairman...
Best of luck
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 7.56.32 AM.png

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Not sure if you reside in that area or not but I do.
Make sure you know land status. A huge percentage of the peninsula is National Wildlife Rufuge, Parks, or native owned. The Native land you cant tresspass on, the Parks (state or federal) are very particular.
The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge is huge & prospecting (or for that matter landing a bush plane whether on wheels or floats) is off limits. Then of course there are the local prospectors that have all had the same dream you do 8-)

There are much better parts of Alaska for what you want to do.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it where me and I was a rookie and/or first timer, I'd head to maybe Juneau (bring your raingear...lol). You'd have the comforts of the "big city" handy and lots of people to BS with that will eventually lead you to some of the local "gold guys" who might help you on your search. Known gold in the immediate area and surrounding areas near Juneau. Surrounding areas accessible by a couple roads and further out by boat and everybody in Juneau has a boat. You could possibly start hitting the culverts around town and possibly the old tailings from the mill right outta town? main thing is you have to mingle with the locals where ever you decide to go to find out what area(s) are ok to prospect? Biggest problem with chasing gold is finding a location without stepping on somebodys toes? If/when things go cowsheet for you and it's time to leave you can jump on the jet and head home? There's also a ton of bush pilots in town that'll be more than happy to take you anywhere.... If you encounter a moose, grizz or brownie with an attitude up there it might change your outlook on the whole wilderness adventure stuff.....

Talk to the locals and Vance above might be a real good place to start.....
jmo's

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summers days are longer up there, if it wouldn't be the need for sleep, you could almost go 24/7.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5195151.pdf

In this booklet, we explain basic gold panning techniques, how to find gold, discuss mining rights and guidelines, and identify areas available for recreational panning on the Chugach National Forest portion of Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula. Recreational gold panning on lands withdrawn from mineral entry is not a mining activity—it is a privilege. Be aware that panning, sluicing, and suction dredging can adversely affect water quality, thereby impacting vegetation, fish, wildlife, and ultimately people. During the process of separating soil from minerals, silt may b

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I have this crazy dream. I want to hire a bush pilot to drop me in a remote part of the Keani Peninsula with some supplies, a tent and a sluice box. I have started doing the research and wanted to reach out to the community as well. I want to get out past all the claims, on National Forest land, where it is less likely that the old timers cleaned everything out. Just a couple of buckets, a shovel and a sluice box.

Where do I start with this? I know it must be possible, but how to begin. Any guidance would be extremely appreciated.

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad was once going to do this trip .. There a place called May creek his family had a gold mine there at the base of Mount Holmes . There a 6000 Lb copper /gold nugget that was lost in the river there .. Remember pans and hands only those kings men guard the gold and please don/t feed the bears ...Good luck green horn

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Get experience first, mine other areas till you master the indicators, yes after years of experience it is possible to see the gold deposits. As for going places were the Oldtimers have not been, will not happen, sadly what you will mine is what they considered not worth mining. Good Luck

OP
OP
Ziggenation

Ziggenation

Greenie
Oct 26, 2014
Elbe, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're under 40 years of age, good health, knowledgeable about minerals. Go for it. BUT before you do; turn off all tv's, computers and your power for 30 days and see how you fare. Then if you are still sane, go to the woods and camp for another 30 days.
After cutting yourself off from all civilization on your initial trial run and you haven't lost your mind and if you are still inclined, go to the Bush, Good Luck!
Send me some pics
The isolation
Not sure if you reside in that area or not but I do.
Make sure you know land status. A huge percentage of the peninsula is National Wildlife Rufuge, Parks, or native owned. The Native land you cant tresspass on, the Parks (state or federal) are very particular.
The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge is huge & prospecting (or for that matter landing a bush plane whether on wheels or floats) is off limits. Then of course there are the local prospectors that have all had the same dream you do 8-)

There are much better parts of Alaska for what you want to do

OP
OP
Ziggenation

Ziggenation

Greenie
Oct 26, 2014
Elbe, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The isolation
Hi, thanks for that info. I've talked to someone at Hope mining Co about leasing a claim if being dropped off doesn't seem feasible. I'm very curious on your thoughts on the better areas of the state?

OP
OP
Ziggenation

Ziggenation

Greenie
Oct 26, 2014
Elbe, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it where me and I was a rookie and/or first timer, I'd head to maybe Juneau (bring your raingear...lol). You'd have the comforts of the "big city" handy and lots of people to BS with that will eventually lead you to some of the local "gold guys" who might help you on your search. Known gold in the immediate area and surrounding areas near Juneau. Surrounding areas accessible by a couple roads and further out by boat and everybody in Juneau has a boat. You could possibly start hitting the culverts around town and possibly the old tailings from the mill right outta town? main thing is you have to mingle with the locals where ever you decide to go to find out what area(s) are ok to prospect? Biggest problem with chasing gold is finding a location without stepping on somebodys toes? If/when things go cowsheet for you and it's time to leave you can jump on the jet and head home? There's also a ton of bush pilots in town that'll be more than happy to take you anywhere.... If you encounter a moose, grizz or brownie with an attitude up there it might change your outlook on the whole wilderness adventure stuff.....

Talk to the locals and Vance above might be a real good place to start.....
jmo's
Thank you for all of that, good stuff!

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's probably better areas up there than Juneau areas? You really need an AK local to take you by the hand to speed up the process, and it is a process if going in "blind".

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What people now consider remote. the prospectors considered normal. The Kenai Peninsula has no access issues. its a very active prospecting area.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
You are right to an extent Goldwasher, the issue is more one of government imposed restrictions on land use... A huge portion of the non urban areas on the peninsula you cant even ride a bike on. Much of it is hands & pans. You cant use portage wheels to move a canoe on the foot trails from one lake to another. Of course thats not the entire pennsula, but a large portion.
That said, there are definetly places to peospect, but if were coming to alaska for a couple of weeks to do a serious prospecting trip it's not where I'd start.

Go to this page and check out the refuge map. Now figure that at best most of the refuge is hands & pans. That literally means no shovel in many places...

Oh and a considerablte amount of native land you cannot tresspass on also

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread