All cooped up (Identification Help)

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, i use to travel quite frequently. I truly enjoyed searching the creekbeds for my diamond in the rough, sifting through the sandy banks of the river, and kicking rocks in the field next door. Due to a minor set back, and limited resources I'm stuck at the house. Now the field next to my house i had permission to walk, and that's where I've found most of my arrows. Recently, the field was leased to "The Hunter" who has informed me that he'd appreciate it if I'd stay out of "his" field. Over the years, I've always referred to it as "my" field. Well, turns out money talks, and guess who walks. Its been difficult for me, but i must respect The Hunter's request. So here i am, Positive Patty. Trying to make the best of a not so bad situation. The Hunter may own the field, but guess who owns the woods? I've decided to focus my attention to my own backyard. This old house was built over a hundred years ago. Theres 4 old barns, a chicken coop, and deeper in the woods, there are 2 log cabins. Honestly, im a bit scared to go deep into the woods alone, so ive decided to start at the chicken coop right out back. I started digging around inside the coop, but quickly got ran out by the spiders and rats that were obviously uncomfortable with my presence. Outside the coop i noticed some small pretty rocks ontop the dirt, so i dug beneath them. It seems the deeper i go the bigger and more vibrant these rocks become. I hit what appears to be an old water pipe, looks like made of brick. That's where most of these rocks have settled in. I love rocks, of all kinds. But i know very little about them. And im anxious to learn more. And i found buckets full this morning, and i was hoping someone could tell me more about them. Thank you. That is all.

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_141605193.jpg
    IMG_20230531_141605193.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20230531_141711084.jpg
    IMG_20230531_141711084.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230531_163204612.jpg
    IMG_20230531_163204612.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230531_141838883.jpg
    IMG_20230531_141838883.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230531_141923877.jpg
    IMG_20230531_141923877.jpg
    998.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230531_141624450.jpg
    IMG_20230531_141624450.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230531_141640131.jpg
    IMG_20230531_141640131.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230531_143227247.jpg
    IMG_20230531_143227247.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230531_163519390.jpg
    IMG_20230531_163519390.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Upvote 16
OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, i use to travel quite frequently. I truly enjoyed searching the creekbeds for my diamond in the rough, sifting through the sandy banks of the river, and kicking rocks in the field next door. Due to a minor set back, and limited resources I'm stuck at the house. Now the field next to my house i had permission to walk, and that's where I've found most of my arrows. Recently, the field was leased to "The Hunter" who has informed me that he'd appreciate it if I'd stay out of "his" field. Over the years, I've always referred to it as "my" field. Well, turns out money talks, and guess who walks. Its been difficult for me, but i must respect The Hunter's request. So here i am, Positive Patty. Trying to make the best of a not so bad situation. The Hunter may own the field, but guess who owns the woods? I've decided to focus my attention to my own backyard. This old house was built over a hundred years ago. Theres 4 old barns, a chicken coop, and deeper in the woods, there are 2 log cabins. Honestly, im a bit scared to go deep into the woods alone, so ive decided to start at the chicken coop right out back. I started digging around inside the coop, but quickly got ran out by the spiders and rats that were obviously uncomfortable with my presence. Outside the coop i noticed some small pretty rocks ontop the dirt, so i dug beneath them. It seems the deeper i go the bigger and more vibrant these rocks become. I hit what appears to be an old water pipe, looks like made of brick. That's where most of these rocks have settled in. I love rocks, of all kinds. But i know very little about them. And im anxious to learn more. And i found buckets full this morning, and i was hoping someone could tell me more about them. Thank you. That is all.
I'd like to add how the light shines right through these rocks. Especially once the are grinded down. I shape rocks into hearts. Its another pass time for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_142713086.jpg
    IMG_20230531_142713086.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 9

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

jersey

Jun 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l love rocks ,too. and these are very pretty , so cool how you shape them into hearts.
Maybe the rock , gems forum will know.

OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
l love rocks ,too. and these are very pretty , so cool how you shape them into hearts.
Thank you. I was a bit embarrassed

I’m not an expert, but I’d say you have some quartzite and chalcedony for sure. I’m a rock fan too. I’m still learning. Keep posting as you advance toward the log cabins.🍀
Okay, thank you. And i will definitely keep posting. I feel like theres something by those cabins. Maybe not rocks, but something of value.

OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you. I was a bit embarrassed to share my heart. But now i feel more confident about my work. And thanks for pointing me into the right direction.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of tools are you using to shape the hearts? You must be in to lapidary. Looks like you have a great source for those quartz pebbles. People that have tumblers would surely buy those from you.

OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What kind of tools are you using to shape the hearts? You must be in to lapidary. Looks like you have a great source for those quartz pebbles. People that have tumblers would surely buy those from you.
I have so many rocks, beautiful ones, and not so beautiful ones. I wanted to do something with them, especially the not so beautiful ones. Give them a chance to shine. So I started shaping them into hearts. At first I was using a metal hand file and sandpaper. It took a while but it was worth my time. A fella i work for seen what i was doing and happened to have an extra bench grinder. Bonus! Now it takes me abt 10 to 20 min. For an even better end result. I wouldn't mind selling them, i just haven't figured out a way to yet. I thought about a yard sale or something but i live in an extremely small town. Not sure there's many folks around here with tumblers.

jersey

Jun 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the bench grinder wet/ dry .
I have looked into them once.

OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im not sure what that means, but i grind most of the rocks dry. However, when i work with flint, it gets hot quickly. So i dip it in water here and there. I feel like if i could find a way to keep the rock wet, I'd get a better result. The grinder does sit out in the weather, so water doesn't seem to cause any damage. I also have a Dremel. Which works well for grinding, and its a cheaper alternative.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
To try selling, maybe get a spot at a flea market or swap meet. Test the market and see how it goes. Maybe team up with someone who does flea markets and share the cost ($10-$20 here for small set up outside).

jersey

Jun 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my glass grinder uses water and cutting tile.
it keeps the dust down.
no sure but grinding quartz you need to use water ?

OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To try selling, maybe get a spot at a flea market or swap meet. Test the market and see how it goes. Maybe team up with someone who does flea markets and share the cost ($10-$20 here for small set up outside).
Thank you. Flea market is a good idea.

OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my glass grinder uses water and cutting tile.
it keeps the dust down.
no sure but grinding quartz you need to use water ?
I would love a tile cutter! And the dust sure is a problem. It hits me in the face from time to time. Not sure how healthy that is. Other than that, I haven't had a problem grinding the quartz without water. It takes longer than most rocks, the quartz sure is tough. To restore the luster to the stone after grinding, i use super fine sandpaper. Then i take a car buffer, spin it upside down, and press my stone against the pad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread