All things hardrock ...

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your willingness to accept my word without scientific proof to back up my claim is a mistake.

Platinum has five sisters, she no longer reins as the supreme queen.

Platinum1023.00-3.00
Palladium2255.00+59.00
Rhodium16900.000.00
Everyone makes mistakes that the fire assay can assist in making a scientific decision what minerals to go after. If you already know what is there then the fire assay is good to keep tabs on the extraction of ore as far as values go. It is still only a tool.

If the other minerals are not rich enough to off set the costs of processing then it really is not worth extracting.

Separating the minerals of value should be not done out in the field unless you have the time, equipment, and ability to do. The use of fire and chemicals can always be part of the process and one can include this at any time even at any stage of extraction / concentration.

The U.S.A. mints always did a fire assay before you could sell to them in the past. This shows how important this really is as scientific proof.

Does this mean that you can not use other tools to make decisions of how much more ore to block out for extraction. This is a decision and process that you have to decide.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Page one of three assay, Assembler do you see anything of value that may have been missed by the trained eye.

Top row is machine referance sample used for the assay, Assembler as you can see this has a high barium content so it would take about three tons of clay to recover a kilogram of barium.

Keep your trained eye on the ball.

View attachment 2009440
BaBarium550.0055.00USD per 100 grams
BeBeryllium831.605,750.00CNY per kilogram
LaLanthanum7.007.00
USD per kilogram
VVanadium22.6022.60USD per kilogram

GaGallium278.20278.20USD per kilogram
View attachment 2009585
Page one of three assay, Assembler do you see anything of value that may have been missed by the trained eye.

Top row is machine referance sample used for the assay, Assembler as you can see this has a high barium content so it would take about three tons of clay to recover a kilogram of barium.

Keep your trained eye on the ball.

View attachment 2009440
BaBarium550.0055.00USD per 100 grams
BeBeryllium831.605,750.00CNY per kilogram
LaLanthanum7.007.00
USD per kilogram
VVanadium22.6022.60USD per kilogram

GaGallium278.20278.20USD per kilogram
I got a beryllium rock pick..
20220211_153937_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
this thread gettin a little out there again too many links n you tube stuff let stick to our personal GOLD mining experiences not make it about all this technical weirdness.
We are for the most part recreational type miners here,
In a gold prospecting forum.
Thnks ....
Gt..
20220211_140641_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Going small scale mining is a choice and can be enjoyable.
What is considered small scale ?
I'm wondering just how many folk are actually doing hardrock mining it seems to be dying off I haven't ran into anyone in my district doin this... Heck you would think me being the only known mill in the valley I would at least get a miner stopin in once in awhile I'm thinking there ain't many folks doin it these days....
Times have changed that's for sure....
Gt...

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm wondering just how many folk are actually doing hardrock mining it seems to be dying off I haven't ran into anyone in my district doin this... Heck you would think me being the only known mill in the valley I would at least get a miner stopin in once in awhile I'm thinking there ain't many folks doin it these days....
Gt...
I think small scale is 1 - 3 tons in 1 - 4 days depending on the terrain, movement and the rock.

You are right that it appears that hard rock is in a slump right now. I think it will pick up the more inflation kicks in.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even 1 ton a week is still doing good small scale if the conditions / rock gets tougher to gather due to pinching or just harder to find.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Setting up equipment on flat grounds is a different ball game for small scale with little restrictions on any type of equipment you want to use.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Even 1 ton a week is still doing good small scale if the conditions / rock gets tougher to gather due to pinching or just harder to find.
Thing are getting tougher most stuff is played out, I think it's up to the big guys with bucks to spend on exploring deep mines that have low grade values left over, maybe find a lucky strike hidden away grab a small Bonanza.
For me it's just about over I got a small stock pile, but finding another vein that's untouched, I don't think it is gonna happen my area has been gone over so many times it's pretty much played out..
Glad I'm old now I would hate to be a young hardrock miner these with the bug real bad.
Just not enough left, down here that is it might be different in other areas.
I still keep lookin long as the legs n health hold out, I could go placerin or bleepin but my heart's in the hardrock prospects...
Gt...

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Setting up equipment on flat grounds is a different ball game for small scale with little restrictions on any type of equipment you want to use.
Best thing to do is haul you ore to a mill site it's always been done that way if you do like me mines on private property nobody can poke there nose in my business.
Gt...

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best thing to do is haul you ore to a mill site it's always been done that way if you do like me mines on private property nobody can poke there nose in my business.
Gt...
Yes a mill site is the best no question about it. This will happen down the road however the fires the last two years have ruled this out. With a mill site one can make a flat spot to set up things.

Making a new road is not in the budget to a mill site at this time. Have to work where the rock is and move as little as possible on 50 degree slope to crush etc.

Most skiders that move timber around here don't go over about 20 - 25 degree slopes tops.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The days of driving to flat grounds around here in a truck are coming to a end. Steep slopes is where better surface rock can still be found.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The days of driving to flat grounds around here in a truck are coming to a end. Steep slopes is where better surface rock can still be found.
This doesn't make any sense, what is wrong with bagging your ore and hauling it out by hand. the gold price is way up. How wide is your vein?
One can get pack mules to haul that's not a legal issue I don't think.
They are cheaper than equipment..less up keep and they will drive them self's back down the mnt everyday just to get some dinner,
By there self's!

You must not want to mine that bad Makin a lot of excuses here not to mine .
Folks mined a hell of a lot of ground by hand back in the day you make us modern miners look soft...
I've mined much ore up on the 50 degree slope made many flats on the side of the mnt from stacked rock n overburden, stacked n sacked ore an hauled it by hand to my truck, it's gold mining that's what miners do work hard..
For me $$$ profit would be nice but at the end of the day I'm just an old rock miner ..
Backing up to a hole is a luxury for sure but it don't always happen. time is our most elusive commodity if it's wasted whining about not being able to work you will loose..
Gt .....

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This doesn't make any sense, what is wrong with bagging your ore and hauling it out by hand. the gold price is way up. How wide is your vein?
One can get pack mules to haul that's not a legal issue I don't think.
They are cheaper than equipment..less up keep and they will drive them self's back down the mnt everyday just to get some dinner,
By there self's!

You must not want to mine that bad Makin a lot of excuses here not to mine .
Folks mined a hell of a lot of ground by hand back in the day you make us modern miners look soft...
I've mined much ore up on the 50 degree slope made many flats on the side of the mnt from stacked rock n overburden, stacked n sacked ore an hauled it by hand to my truck, it's gold mining that's what miners do work hard..
For me $$$ profit would be nice but at the end of the day I'm just an old rock miner ..
Backing up to a hole is a luxury for sure but it don't always happen. time is our most elusive commodity if it's wasted whining about not being able to work you will loose..
Gt .....
Good point. I also think that a steel cable would help move ore rock to where it could be processed.

I just need to think it out a little more that is all.

Some canvas bags on a steel cable sounds good right now.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy to work 1 ton a week…lol

Even though I hope to return to Reno some day to search for some ever elusive so-called quartz…

Tomorrow….Always tomorrow…So much for today is the day… :)

Ed T

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gt...
Shoot if you were closer to Oregon I'd be over right now to see the mill operate! I'd be happy to get 1 ton a day. Come June hoping to fire mine up if I can find some decent ore. Been prospecting with the detector, tracing the strike of veins mapping everything out in ONx. Been through 1,000 of feet of tunnels. Best I found so far runs 0.14opt gold and .16opt silver. Used a cheap china digital computer scope to take the picture. Crushed to about 80 mesh. Planning on prospecting and hopefully mining 3 months this year solid. Have to wait till the kids are on summer vacation. Start with dig some of the overburden off a vein the old timers surface mined and possibly drift into the sidehill if the vein has consistent values. Gain 1 foot of back for every foot in because the hill is so steep. They surface mined it for a good 300 feet so there's alot of vein left underneath.. If it turns out the vein is barren or pockety I'll forget about drifting on it and look for pockets. Being they surface mined it for such a long consistent stretch though I suspect that it has ore throughout. Won't know till the snow melts and I can get digging!

Attachments

• Upper Monarch stope.jpg
    Upper Monarch stope.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 53

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread