OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Im gonna head back up to my prospect journal..
Leave here with a pic of that bead of Hg thats now fully pregnant, it will hold a bit more before it turns crumbly..
This is from last few days of sampling table cons and ore crushins...

20220315_143251.jpg

20220315_134126_HDR.jpg

Ore crushing sample station and crusher chute...

Anyways got about 1 ton crushed and wear plate got a spot all the way through, dadgum hard rocks.
I have to shut down crushin move my power plant back to the arrastra, tear down jaw crusher make new plates..
So it's back to grindin and washin pulp...
Gt..

Last edited:

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im gonna head back up to my prospect journal..
Leave here with a pic of that bead of Hg thats now fully pregnant, it will hold a bit more before it turns crumbly..
This is from last few days of sampling table cons and ore crushins...

View attachment 2015762

View attachment 2015763
Ore crushing sample station and crusher chute...

Anyways got about 1 ton crushed and wear plate got a spot all the way through, dadgum hard rocks.
I have to shut down crushin move my power plant back to the arrastra, tear down jaw crusher make new plates..
So it's back to grindin and washin pulp...
Gt..
Question: What are you using for your wear plate? I've had good luck with hard facing high-wear parts or better yet using this stuff:

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Question: What are you using for your wear plate? I've had good luck with hard facing high-wear parts or better yet using this stuff:

I use a 1/8 piece of steel it's on the sides of what I guess you would call the throat body of the crusher, it's made of cast iron so it needs to be protected.
I should of put a little hard face on the plate but didn't getter done. I knew better but was trying get running again, now I'm paying for it by being shut down on the crushing side of the mill...
I procrastinated.....
Gt....

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This in reference to southforks gold ore thread where it was said old timers used potato as retort
The old timers used a potato to hold there amalgam as you have to have much heat to get rid of the Hg.
Just heating a spud wouldn't do sqaut so it doesn't work as retort...
Here's how it was done, cut potato in half hollow out big enough to hold amalgam.
Wrap some wire around it place in camp fire, in morning fish out charcoal potato open up, magical pig sponge gold .
Gt..

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Start conversation on the charging of Mercury.
Would like to hear folks experiences on this matter..
We would do this at Mitchels place, he was a bit of a control freek so I never actually saw him preparing the Hg, I read a bit about it and I don't believe he was doin it Right .
Gt ..

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start conversation on the charging of Mercury.
Would like to hear folks experiences on this matter..
We would do this at Mitchels place, he was a bit of a control freek so I never actually saw him preparing the Hg, I read a bit about it and I don't believe he was doin it Right .
Gt ..
I've charged mercury in the past with Ken Williams help. Here's the link to his old page that has been saved for everyone. Charging mercury is listed towards the bottom of this page -

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most underground excavations I've ever been involved with is done with drilling and blasting. I recently got involved with a different way of underground advancement through rock. This job ran into some ground which is less typical to the softer ground conditions they normally work their way through. I'm afraid this harder ground the more it's going to cost, is all I can come up with. Not something engineers and projects managers generally like to hear. My concern is will I be able to come up with the necessary needed consumables to tackle the problem. I'm get'n to old for these type of stressful situations. It just ain't the same as when I was younger and ready to hit it with all I can. To much coffee, to much nicotine seems to go hand and hand in hard rock mining. I should've been a cowboy 🤠

Attachments

• 20231127_103156.jpg
    20231127_103156.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231127_100643.jpg
    20231127_100643.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most underground excavations I've ever been involved with is done with drilling and blasting. I recently got involved with a different way of underground advancement through rock. This job ran into some ground which is less typical to the softer ground conditions they normally work their way through. I'm afraid this harder ground the more it's going to cost, is all I can come up with. Not something engineers and projects managers generally like to hear. My concern is will I be able to come up with the necessary needed consumables to tackle the problem. I'm get'n to old for these type of stressful situations. It just ain't the same as when I was younger and ready to hit it with all I can. To much coffee, to much nicotine seems to go hand and hand in hard rock mining. I should've been a cowboy 🤠
Yes, looks like you have a real challenge.

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Barely a weekend warrior. Hard rock + placer together = a more complete sampling picture for AU.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm surprised that there is not more interest in people making engine stamp mills of many different sizes.
Not everyone has $700 for a mini jaw crusher or mini impact mill for an angle grinder, or the tools to make their own. I am surprised there isn't more interest in micro or nano stamp mills that are either hand driven, foot-powered or driven by a small engine, electric or gas. A stamp mill doesn't have to be like the monstrous ones from the past. Just need a way to have multiple stamps or hammers going at once, in a way that is lightweight, portable, and usable on any steepness of terrain.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not everyone has $700 for a mini jaw crusher or mini impact mill for an angle grinder, or the tools to make their own. I am surprised there isn't more interest in micro or nano stamp mills that are either hand driven, foot-powered or driven by a small engine, electric or gas. A stamp mill doesn't have to be like the monstrous ones from the past. Just need a way to have multiple stamps or hammers going at once, in a way that is lightweight, portable, and usable on any steepness of terrain.
The simplest stamp mill is an earth compactor operated on top of a steel plate. Around 6-8Hp is not a light set up. Be prepared for a lot of noise.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Small stamp mills are impractical. What makes you think a mini stampmill would be cheaper than an impact mill? With a stamp mill you still need a jaw crusher. Stamp mills also require water.

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Barely a weekend warrior. Hard rock + placer together = a more complete sampling picture for AU.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The simplest stamp mill is an earth compactor operated on top of a steel plate. Around 6-8Hp is not a light set up. Be prepared for a lot of noise.

@Assembler - wow, that would be a crazy to have a gas-powered tamper / earth compactor going as a stamp mill. Bet it works well if one can handle the vibration and has the required gear.

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to have a friend that went by "pick ax " that used to live in Colorado and then moved to Texas and was friends with L . Leeper . is this you ?? if so , GLAD to see you up'n posting here !

Haha, no, I am a Canadian up in the Okanagan region of BC, Canada near Kelowna.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@Assembler - wow, that would be a crazy to have a gas-powered tamper / earth compactor going as a stamp mill. Bet it works well if one can handle the vibration and has the required gear.
Having the tamper contained within a steel box will help the process and catch any flying rock / materials.
The idea is to start with larger rocks and instead of using a sledge hammer use the 80 - 100lbs gas tamper as the new sledge hammer to help with the reduction in the size of the rock / rocks.

Having a stand with chain to lift and remove the tamper will reduce the wear on the body some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread