🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Alluvial Gold?

Jackstraw20

Jan 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend sent me a photo of what he says is alluvial gold he has found in ancient riverbeds in Colorado over the years. Can anyone verify if he is correct and this is truly "alluvial gold."
Thanks very much!
20220512_095826.jpg

Attachments

• 20220512_044243.jpg
    20220512_044243.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 346
  • 20220512_043225.jpg
    20220512_043225.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 138
  • 20220512_042750.jpg
    20220512_042750.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
  • 20220512_095546.jpg
    20220512_095546.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 112

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why not just phone around and find a pawn shop or a non-ferrous recycling company that has a XRF tester.
Then you can post the results up.
There seems to be one common element of all these type posts.
Nobody has had the testing done.
Really why is that?
If I thought for a minute I had something as you state, well the test would be first on the to do list.

Upvote 8

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience, not here but in a jewelry store in the mountains in Colorado, say, if you have to ask, you don't have gold.
Sorry.
Some people need more convincing. Some people just know they have found a fortune. I found a great treasure. My kids and grandkids.

Upvote 7

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you do that, take a small piece and see if it crushes. If it is solid gold it will not crush. If it crushes, crush it again as fine as you can, and the pan it to see if any stays in the bottom of the pan. It will save you some time and money.

Upvote 6

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By simmering I mean I brought them to an almost boil in water. I have an electric kiln and am waiting for a new piece that goes inside and heats the gold and I am going to mortar & pestle a few grams, add a little borax, then heat the gold up to melting point and pour into a square ingot crucible. Seems like an okay idea right?
Not sure what a boil in water does for you. Melting point of gold in over 1900F

Upvote 5

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted,I know little about this subject so I too am confused a bit. At first we were talking alluvial gold,which I at least have an idea about and now we,re talking rocks,found by eye with platinum and palladium. Please enlighten this old country boy so I can at least follow the discussion. Would be much appreciated since I find this interesting.
It is starting to appear to be a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Upvote 5

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just popped into my head from an ancient quote by somebody or other!:laughing7::happy3:
Winston Churchill - 1939 - “I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest.”

Some things never change. ;-)

Upvote 5

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I crush that gold and it test around 22kt. Grant you guys think I'm an idiot, but that isn't the case
#1-What did you crush?
#2-The pictures that you posted up in #79 shows a lot of different rocks, so which one, or all of them?

#3-Just trying to get a sense on what you are claiming to be 22kt. all of it or part of it?

#4-Did you crush the sample that the Bic lighter is sitting on?

#5-What was the weight pre/post of crushing and what was the recovery?

Sorry to burden you with the 5 questions

I find all of this quite amazing that such a rich source of gold can be obtained so readily as you claim.

Upvote 5

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting.

Looks like siltstone with flakes of mica to me. I may be wrong on that but most certainly not gold. If you look closely you can see cracks in some of the stones. And as flinthunter pointed out, no weathering from a stream bed is apparent. Well maybe a slight amount but not what would be expected.
Specific gravity?

Upvote 4

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just phone around and find a pawn shop or a non-ferrous recycling company that has a XRF tester.
Then you can post the results up.
There seems to be one common element of all these type posts.
Nobody has had the testing done.
Really why is that?
If I thought for a minute I had something as you state, well the test would be first on the to do list.
THANK YOU!!!

Upvote 4

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am confused. Your original post said a friend sent you pictures of alluvial gold he had found and you wanted help from us with identification. But as your thread goes along you reference what you are doing with the alleged gold and even reference finding more. So what is story with that?
Pepper answered on assay options.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
#1-What did you crush?
#2-The pictures that you posted up in #79 shows a lot of different rocks, so which one, or all of them?

#3-Just trying to get a sense on what you are claiming to be 22kt. all of it or part of it?

#4-Did you crush the sample that the Bic lighter is sitting on?

#5-What was the weight pre/post of crushing and what was the recovery?

Sorry to burden you with the 5 questions

I find all of this quite amazing that such a rich source of gold can be obtained so readily as you claim.
I personally think it's incredible.

Upvote 4

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Soaked them all in Sulphuric Acid for 6 days and they didn't lose any color, I also boiled them and they conglomerated together in a soft malleable solid piece. I have also taken a few flakes, added some borax, and hit it with some map gas in a crucible. Gold was definitely seen under a microscope after I had created a "button" to the naked eye it looked more silver, but there was noticeable gold in the after product. Plus, I have used sulphuric acid many times and it eats away just about everything other than high grade gold ores. These all seem promising to me?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
You took the photo your friend in Colorado sent you, then soaked it in acid? I’m confused. I don’t see any gold in the pictures (this time either). Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm iffy on this. If this yellow material came out of an ancient riverbed it should be rounded and worn smooth. Everything has sharp edges and corners. That doesn't mean there is not gold in it, it just means that in my opinion, what we are seeing is not pure gold.

Upvote 3

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've lived in CO all my life and spent a good amount of time looking for gold and I don't see any gold in the pics. Like others have said, take a piece and pummel it into dust and pan it. He clearly has three gold pans to put to use. It will all wash away except the heavy's which will include black sand. The gold will shine like no tomorrow in the black sand and against the green pan. Pyrite will kind of look like gold but when you shade it, it no longer shines. Plus, it will more than likely wash away with the light material, and, it flakes apart. Gold will shine in the sun or shaded with your hand. It's unmistakable once you know.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread