Almost-a-must Books for New Mexico THers and MDers

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
New Mexico in Maps, Jerry L. Williams, UNM Press, 1986 – long out of print but the best single and comprehensive historical map resource I’ve ever seen. Worth paying out-of-print prices for.

Great River, Paul Horgan The best chronicle of the history of New Mexico and Texas I’ve ever read. I still refer to it frequently

The California Column in New Mexico, Darlis A Miller, a must for Civil War and post-Civil War researchers – lots of specifics

Joseph Reddeford Walker and the Arizona Expedition, Daniel Ellis Conner [early 1860s memoirs]

Marvelous Country, Samuel Cozzens [late 1850s]

The Deaths of the Bravos, John Myers Myers

Recollections of a Western Ranchman, William French, 1880s

Kiva, Cross and Crown, The Pecos Indians in New Mexico 1540-1840, John L. Kessell, UNM Press, 1990

By Force of Arms – The Journals of Diego de Vargas, 1691-1693, UNM Press 1990

The Gila Trail – The Texas Argonauts and the California Gold Rush [Diary] Benjamin Butler Harris, Oklahoma University Press, 1986

Violence in Lincoln County 1869-1881, William Keleher [the book to own if you’re only going to own one about the Lincoln Co War]

Ranch on the Ruidoso, Story of a Pioneer Family in New Mexico, 1871 – 1968 Wilbur Coe, lots of details about locations of you name it

Charles Goodnight, Cowman and Plainsman – J. Evetts Haley – This ought to be in the library of every NM and Texas MD searcher

Coronado’s Quest, A Grove Day – Long out of print but a lot of solid research and detail on locations

Countless others maybe other members will wish to add. Ben Kemp comes to mind offhand, along with the guy I can't recall the author name of at the moment Vigilantes In Socorro County.

This might serve as a starting place, anyway.

Jack

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Great post! My GGGrandmother was Charles Goodnight's disowned sister. I would like to obtain a copy of this book, but where to look? Any help appreciated. Orogrande

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
OroGrande said:
Great post! My GGGrandmother was Charles Goodnight's disowned sister. I would like to obtain a copy of this book, but where to look? Any help appreciated. Orogrande

31 copies available from the 'Used' dealers on Amazon for $6.50 up.

Probably you can find other sellers but 6.50s going to be hard to beat.

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Goodnight-Cowman-Plainsman-Evetts/dp/0806114533?tag=dogpile-20
http://snipurl.com/2f27p [www_amazon_com]

Charles Goodnight, Cowman and Plainsman (Paperback)
by J. Evetts Haley (Author) "ONE day in the fall of 1849, a fine old Indian warrior named Caddo Jake was at the Goodnight home, where he regularly came for..." (more)
Key Phrases: comanchero trade, cow thief, cow business, Palo Duro, New Mexico, Fort Sumner (more...)

3 Reviews
5 star: (3)
4 star: (0)
3 star: (0)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

See all 3 customer reviews...

(3 customer reviews)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $24.95
Price: $16.47 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $8.48 (34%)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Only 2 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

Want it delivered Thursday, June 12? Order it in the next 6 hours and 56 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

31 used & new available from $6.50

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. I will get a copy, should make for interesting reading. "Oro"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread