🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491498643.860944.jpg

Used my boot to clear some pine straw and leaves from an iron signal in the woods today and got a bit of a surprise. Luckily it had already been triggered...

Upvote 9

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it doesn't look like it Got Rusty yet so My 30+ year estimate is probably way off :laughing7:

I Don't really want to stat a Debate but, One of the complaints I seem to remember was that some Animals would Chew their Leg/foot off
to get out. Which of course suggests to me, animals don't feel pain like we do.
I'd never chew a limb off me without passing out first.

And you may be right that the Bear type traps with teeth were the real Target

Jeff, I've only seen one animal chew at it's foot. Raccoons. They are nimble and ONLY chew what is under the pan, not above it. Above pan still has blood flow and hurts. Under pan, given enough time, the foot/toes go numb. They don't feel what they are chewing/fighting, so with a larger trap a coon will chew. If the trap is coon size, he can't get his mouth under the pan to chew. Size specific is important for all species to prevent harm. Incidentals happen though.

Geo, didn't mean to come across sounding condescending. Just trying to open your mind a bit. I trap for a living, so I get worked up when people believe false info about it. (I rarely use foot traps with work, but I have fur trapped 14 of last 18 seasons using them for fox, coyote, coon, beaver and fisher).

Still wondering if the trap found was laying on ground or staked down. A trap is usually double staked w/18" rebar. That anchor would indicate a coyote trap (#3), having two holes for the stakes.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I've only seen one animal chew at it's foot. Raccoons. They are nimble and ONLY chew what is under the pan, not above it. Above pan still has blood flow and hurts. Under pan, given enough time, the foot/toes go numb. They don't feel what they are chewing/fighting, so with a larger trap a coon will chew. If the trap is coon size, he can't get his mouth under the pan to chew. Size specific is important for all species to prevent harm. Incidentals happen though.

Geo, didn't mean to come across sounding condescending. Just trying to open your mind a bit. I trap for a living, so I get worked up when people believe false info about it. (I rarely use foot traps with work, but I have fur trapped 14 of last 18 seasons using them for fox, coyote, coon, beaver and fisher).

Still wondering if the trap found was laying on ground or staked down. A trap is usually double staked w/18" rebar. That anchor would indicate a coyote trap (#3), having two holes for the stakes.

Hey I'm totally cool with it.

I know that typed words always come across worse than what they appear, that's why I took a lighthearted approach to my reply.

I truly know nothing about them, but thought that they were banned?

It could be a Canadian thing, it could be a regional thing, and could just be something I made up in my head.........just because I do things like that. LOL......

Besides you know what PETA stands for..........People Eating Tasty Animals?

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I was in the woods in a heavy hunting area, you could see 3 tree stands from where I found the trap. I typically disc iron, but was trying to find an old home site from an 1876 land survey, never found it. It was not attached to anything and up against the trunk of a 30" dia tree (left it there), so it sounds like it was dropped by a trapper. I did not really think that I was going to lose a toe, but definitely surprised and instantly stopped kicking at the pine straw when I recognized it was a trap. Did not want to really test it... Good to know that in the future not to have to worry about these small traps

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Luckier that you didn't just run a pinpointer over it after you got a signal.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geo, off the top of my head, I know that RI, MA and CA banned foot traps. I'd have to look up the others. Without getting into politics, the Dem/Lib leaning states are usually against trapping. CT still has them, but we fight every year to keep them.
When I was in Newfoundland on a moose hunt, I was told no foot holds were legal there either.

BTW Pa-dirt, did you find a trap tag? If so, you could return it to the original owner. Or just hang it on your wall.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use coil springs like the one in the picture too. If I remember right it's illegal to even have a foot hold trap in your possession in the state of nj...d2

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at least it's good to know that I didn't make part of that story up. LOL......

Foot traps don't really bother me, I've worn one for over 20 years now............shhhhh, here she comes!

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have trapped since I was around 10 years old, my 9 year old has some of his own too, it's a great hobby to get young ones outdoors, the first set I tough my boy how to do he cought a beautiful red fox. And now it hangs on the wall and he shows it to every newcomer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread