Aluminum pull tabs, cans, brass and copper.

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Arizona and the great southwest!
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone saving their aluminum pull tabs, cans, copper, brass etc. to trade them in for $$ later on.

I’m finding enough of these pull tabs I might just start saving them to turn them in for profit later.

Might start separate bins for brass and copper as well.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone saving their aluminum pull tabs, cans, copper, brass etc. to trade them in for $$ later on.

I’m finding enough of these pull tabs I might just start saving them to turn them in for profit later.

Yes, I am. Keeping them separated for ease of recycling. I have a detecting buddy that semi relies on that metal for some income....

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am. Keeping them separated for ease of recycling. I have a detecting buddy that semi relies on that metal for some income....
Might as well. It’s like I come across it all the time might as well flip some profit on it 👍

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep scrap of all kinds, even bullet casings those have to be separate from other brass as they pay different prices for shells and they also need to check to make sure all the primers have been fired off, it wouldn't be good to start melting brass and have a bunch of shells exploding.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep scrap of all kinds, even bullet casings those have to be separate from other brass as they pay different prices for shells and they also need to check to make sure all the primers have been fired off, it wouldn't be good to start melting brass and have a bunch of shells exploding.
I put all the tabs in cans about half full & give em a squish. Brass goes in plastic bags and is sold to some reloaders (more $$ than scrap.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put all the tabs in cans about half full & give em a squish. Brass goes in plastic bags and is sold to some reloaders (more $$ than scrap.
Picking up and saving scrap metals is a good way to get a little spending money.I took in a small load of copper last week and No.2 was at 2.80 a pound and No.1 at 3.20.Aluminum varies all across the US,from as low as .40 a Lb. to near a dollar. Brass usually around 1.80 plus or minus. Check with a yard near you as to their requirements on separation and types of metal.It varies a lot depending on the State and yard. Don,t forget lead,it can go for as much as .75 a pound. Reloaders will buy lead too,so check that option,especially if you can locate some bullet casters or jig molders.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picking up and saving scrap metals is a good way to get a little spending money.I took in a small load of copper last week and No.2 was at 2.80 a pound and No.1 at 3.20.Aluminum varies all across the US,from as low as .40 a Lb. to near a dollar. Brass usually around 1.80 plus or minus. Check with a yard near you as to their requirements on separation and types of metal.It varies a lot depending on the State and yard. Don,t forget lead,it can go for as much as .75 a pound. Reloaders will buy lead too,so check that option,especially if you can locate some bullet casters or jig molders.
Brass Pro Shops carries all the above. If you're going to go to that much trouble, just melt it into 1lb ingots.

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get a lot more for recycling in Cali than Arizona. 👍

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to save aluminum cans etc, the price is worthless, so nope

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

There was an origination that would bring tabs to the scrap yard. I wondered how many tabs were in this load so I started to weigh some on the gram scale-it took 24/26 tabs to make an once.
So for every 400 tabs you'll receive 40 cents.
I don't think that they are too profitable. :laughing7:
Remember they have to be clean of dirt-so washing/rinsing a tad is required.
But a few pennies here, and there do add up for sure.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There was an origination that would bring tabs to the scrap yard. I wondered how many tabs were in this load so I started to weigh some on the gram scale-it took 24/26 tabs to make an once.
I cleaned out part of the shop last year.
It adds up over the years 🤣
Barrel x 3 mostly iron
Small bins, buckets, nonferrous.
20210410_175905.jpg

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, but they’ll take both aluminum cans and pull tabs. Aluminum is aluminum. So if you’re recycling cans just toss the rinsed, extra pull tabs found in the field, in with the cans. It’s all weight. My wife thinks I’m cheap anyway 😂🙄👍

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, but they’ll take both aluminum cans and pull tabs. Aluminum is aluminum. So if you’re recycling cans just toss the rinsed, extra pull tabs found in the field, in with the cans. It’s all weight. My wife thinks I’m cheap anyway 😂🙄👍
It's all weight, but if the cans weighs too much then the ?? comes up why so heavy.
The 24/26 number might of been cans per pound, come to think about it some more.
I hear you on the cheap, recycle the rubber bands till they snap, then again retie them for a few more goes.🤣

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all weight, but if the cans weighs too much then the ?? comes up why so heavy.
The 24/26 number might of been cans per pound, come to think about it some more.
I hear you on the cheap, recycle the rubber bands till they snap, then again retie them for a few more goes.🤣

Ahhhhh.... never thought about the rubber bands. I’ll implement the procedure 👍👍👍

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once a year i scrap out... Last year if I remember correctly was around 250.

This year i don't have as much so... not taken in yet.

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once a year i scrap out... Last year if I remember correctly was around 250.

This year i don't have as much so... not taken in yet.

I don’t know but we go through a lot of diet 7-up in cans. Told the wife we start saving them. That and the aluminum I find in the field.
Might help pay for New Years dinner 😆👍

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass Pro Shops carries all the above. If you're going to go to that much trouble, just melt it into 1lb ingots.
I used to cast bullets and jigs and sinkers too.Most all the lead I find I melt,flux to clean and cast into 1 lb.ingots as you suggest.No Bass Pro nearby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread