Am I close to the gold?

wendyjo

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2022
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hello I am new here and I done caught the gold fever. I live in the northeast ga mountains just south of Dahlonega. I have a small stream in my backyard and I have been exploring, cleaning out the trash people throw and anyways also looking for gold and diamonds and such. I’m pretty positive I have found silver and I have been doing a lot of research on finding gold. So I found a spot in my creek, where the rock changes drastically also at this point I have found a lot of broken crumbling quartz rock. Everything I have read and learned online is happening in my creek I just can’t seem to find the gold or maybe I have it don’t even know it. my soils are blue and silver red and then of course brown upstream can anyone help me out here? Am I close? Thank you in advance

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those samples you have to find crush it then pan it. That's how you'll know if there are any gold pieces in the host rock. You may be close. Try getting down in the creek as close to the bottom of it as you can, ignore rocks, get the find stuff and pan that. Slowly.

OP
OP
W

wendyjo

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2022
For those samples you have to find crush it then pan it. That's how you'll know if there are any gold pieces in the host rock. You may be close. Try getting down in the creek as close to the bottom of it as you can, ignore rocks, get the find stuff and pan that. Slowly.
Thanks I will try and ignore rocks lol. Dumb question here… how does someone know when the have hit the bottom of a creek?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find gold in quartz that runs red more than you will in a white quartz although in California some nice specimins have been found in white quartz when I say red quartz I mean quartz that has been stained by iron running in the same quartz vein. See how this has a reddish color and pink hues this is a very good gold ore sample but look for this in your quartz samples and it will save you from crushing a lot of rock and getting nothing out of it except sore muscles.
oo595.jpg

OP
OP
W

wendyjo

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2022
You will find gold in quartz that runs red more than you will in a white quartz although in California some nice specimins have been found in white quartz when I say red quartz I mean quartz that has been stained by iron running in the same quartz vein. See how this has a reddish color and pink hues this is a very good gold ore sample but look for this in your quartz samples and it will save you from crushing a lot of rock and getting nothing out of it except sore muscles.
oo595.jpg
Thank you so much. You have no idea. This is exactly what I needed. Guidance with good photos lol. . Well I have a lot of that type quartz and other rocks in the creek too. I will take a pic and post it and maybe you or someone can let me know how I am doing. Thanks a million

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is your creek. How deep is the water? Most creeks here in south Georgia are about 30 feet wide at the most and the water ranges from 3-15 feet deep. In some areas during the dry season it can be less than one foot deep. The hard pan is usually less than a foot under the mud and sand.

OP
OP
W

wendyjo

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2022
How big is your creek. How deep is the water? Most creeks here in south Georgia are about 30 feet wide at the most and the water ranges from 3-15 feet deep. In some areas during the dry season it can be less than one foot deep. The hard pan is usually less than a foot under the mud and sand.
Well lol, ok maybe it’s a stream rather. It doesn’t have a name but it feeds Balus creek which dumps into lake Lanier. It is also very close to flat creek and mud creek. At its widest point that I can tell is maybe 7 feet. I haven’t been to where it meets balus bc I don’t wanna trespass, you know what I mean? It’s also somewhat shallow with a few deep spots. However anywhere I have dug, you can just keep digging and digging. And I don’t want to damage anything or upset nature so I just usually dig a little bit then fill back in the hole. I have seen two cottonmouths in it One of them I saw today and the other a couple of months back. Also got a red snake but that’s a good one

OP
OP
W

wendyjo

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2022
Thank you so much. You have no idea. This is exactly what I needed. Guidance with good photos lol. . Well I have a lot of that type quartz and other rocks in the creek too. I will take a pic and post it and maybe you or someone can let me know how I am doing. Thanks a million
image.jpg
image.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a smaller piece first. I bought a hand rock crusher off ebay which took the work out of it. My bedrock here I still haven't found at 3' down. I stopped after that.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those samples look a lot better because they have other minerals mixed in the matrix, the other quartz the white, was pretty much just pure milk quartz. When you are looking for gold it travels where Iron and copper woud be also, so some color in your quartz is always a good thing. With all your samples you are also going to get a good arm workout crushing all that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread