am I the only african American that metal detects?

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 14

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if your not being racist why are you worriedabout color.and try being just american,not african.

Yup, regardless of color your either American or not. We need to stop this willful segregation of the American people. We have enough real enemies in the world without fighting amongst ourselves...

sent from a potato...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The few detectorist i,ve seen were not African American . Well at least she can describe you easier if your lost in a big park. :laughing7:
Happy hunting!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I can relate...I feel like I'm the only gay girl that metal detects lol...but no, I've never seen anyone except white guys hunting...

I used to say that the only ones that metal detected were us old guys that could remember when a nickle would buy a soda - or anything, for that matter!

I'm happy to be proven wrong!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I used to say that the only ones that metal detected were us old guys that could remember when a nickle would buy a soda - or anything, for that matter!

I'm happy to be proven wrong!

Hey Bum how have you been?

sent from a potato...

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, regardless of color your either American or not. We need to stop this willful segregation of the American people. We have enough real enemies in the world without fighting amongst ourselves...

sent from a potato...
Diesel,
I can see by your signature block our politics are the same and agree with the premise of your statement but I think nleet22 is just having some fun with race stereotypes and this hobby and I think THATS what we all need to do is lighten up when it comes to race. I guess coming from a family that looks like a united nations poster.. my family and friends and I bust each other's chops when it comes to race stereotypes.

Everyone that's taking this thread for turn down Serious Lane.. CHILLAX! That's a term my cousin Lamar taught me.. Said it would give me street cred. Was going to add.. " before I bust a cap" ... but I just can't quite pull that off yet.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Diesel,
I can see by your signature block our politics are the same and agree with the premise of your statement but I think nleet22 is just having some fun with race stereotypes and this hobby and I think THATS what we all need to do is lighten up when it comes to race. I guess coming from a family that looks like a united nations poster.. my family and friends and I bust each other's chops when it comes to race stereotypes.

Everyone that's taking this thread for turn down Serious Lane.. CHILLAX! That's a term my cousin Lamar taught me.. Said it would give me street cred. Was going to add.. " before I bust a cap" ... but I just can't quite pull that off yet.
I know the op was not looking to be racist and that he was making light of it. Heck just about anyone who detects is alright with me. I was replying to the post I quoted that mentioned African Americans and just Americans. I just don't think it's healthy for us as a UNITED States of America to have these divisions of Americans like African Americans, Asian Americans and so on...To me your either American or your not...That's all.

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the op was not looking to be racist and that he was making light of it. Heck just about anyone who detects is alright with me. I was replying to the post I quoted that mentioned African Americans and just Americans. I just don't think it's healthy for us as a UNITED States of America to have these divisions of Americans like African Americans, Asian Americans and so on...To me your either American or your not...That's all.

I completely agree bro. I just think this thread was appreciating the humor of the situation. I think it's funny too. If you get a chance check out a page I run, The Ripple Effect on FB. You'll dig it!
Molon Labe

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
People in different social groups do different things. If they didn't, they wouldn't be "different social groups". We'd all be like well-stirred oatmeal.

It's been my observation that in the USA, metal detecting tends to be a middle-aged or older "white guy" activity-- with lots of exceptions of course. Just how it is. There's no law that says that exactly 3% of every demographic across the board has to be swinging a metal detector.

Meanwhile, an important chunk of our business is in Europe and Africa. In England, beeping tends to be an old guy activity. In the rest of Europe, a lot of younger guys. Few women. In Africa, almost exclusively young black guys doing gold prospecting for a living, it's not a hobby for them.

Nearly all my life I've lived in multiethnic situations and wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Back in the olden days I grew up in a church that was racially integrated at a time where almost nobody else even knew such a thing existed. And although I'm Anglo I've often lived in predominantly black and ethnic Mexican neighborhoods by choice and do so now. I've been in places that were virtually all-white and they seemed strangely creepy to me.

Overall, I've been pleased with the tone of this thread, enjoyed reading it. It hit snags in a couple spots but they got smoothed out more or less.

nleet22, welcome to the forums and to the world of beep. Your girlfriend is almost right, not many black guys in the USA swinging a beeper, but there are a few. If you take a worldwide tally, probably as many black guys swinging a beep as white guys. And yep, there's even a few women swinging beeps.

--Dave J.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol I can relate...I feel like I'm the only gay girl that metal detects lol...but no, I've never seen anyone except white guys hunting...

It is heavy-set white guys and a few that are skinny; very few mediums. Well, I don't mean Long Island-type medium -- those *mediums* prolly don't need a detector.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you beleive what geneticists say,that all life started in Africa,then were all African Americans !!
Well no! As shocking as it is, not everyone is American!

I wonder if blacks from other counties use the same term when describing themselves? African Kyrgyzstanian , African Lithuanian, African Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonian!

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been living in Africa for the past 7 years (only coming home for holydays ) so I have not seen an African American metal detecting.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seem as many African American detectorist as I have African American hockey players. What gives?

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started as a teenager in the 80's, the stereotype was that detectorists were either old farts or geeks.
The first real national appearance of a guy with a detector was on "Revenge of the nerds."
I was the only long-haired, leather-bound, headbanger in my area (with a detector) and eventually, friends from highschool (the cool headbangers) would go out with me on a few hunts.
At first they thought it was funny but soon would get hooked watching me dig up old coins, military badges, etc.
I would detect in rough neighborhoods and gang members would come up and chat and then hang around because they were hooked watching me find stuff.
On a hot sunny day when the beach was packed, I would head into the crowds all muscle bound and tanned, swinging my treasure stick and hot chicks would come up and chat.
Off in the distance would be the tall, skinny white guy with fish lips puckered, nostrils flaring, wearing glasses and swinging the coil so fast I'm surprised his arm didn't snap!
Of course you would hear many laughing as he walked by.
Don't get me wrong....people laughed at me too.... until I turned around and gave them the look of death. Lol.
I got a black construction worker into the hobby out here. I mean African Canadian. I mean Canadian! :BangHead:
Don't think you're the only one but if you are...you'll be a pioneer.
I broke through the geek image in the 80's....you could be the spicy one in a whole box of soda crackers!
:laughing7:
We are all ONE.
Cheers,
Dave.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
if your not being racist why are you worriedabout color.and try being just american,not african.

Man thats crazy........Scotter wants to know if you have a receipt for that detector.... LOL

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector is black, does that count?
Welcome nleet22!
Get your girlfriend out detecting with you and there will be at lest 2 more detecting!

Oh ya! DON 'T swing your detector like Tiger swings his clubs....you'll scare the hell out of your target!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread