am I the only african American that metal detects?

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 14

Rollins

Aug 30, 2012
Dade City, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think your the only one, I've watched some vids of a black guy in Cincinnati, and like everyone says we are just detectorist's that come in different colors. I'm a bilingual brown detectorist, lol

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
MetalHeadAJ, I believe a careful re-read of the thread will put you #3, if that makes you feel any better.:3some:

Two of my personal favorite "gay girls" spent most of their formative years growing up in the Bay Area. One (an ex-girlfriend, don't laugh) became a critially acclaimed Asian-American feminist and writer of lesbian erotica, and the other (a family member) is making a huge impact in Minnesota on issues like school bullying.

The third was not raised there, but visited SF several years ago to document on "film", interviews with the aging female leaders of the Chicano and womens' civil rights movement, a story which has otherwise been virtually untold because of the machismo of Latin American culture. She is the daughter of a close friend of mine, the said close friend having been a very influential political activist during the civil rights era (and of course featured in the "film" documentary"), who may have accomplished as much as Cesar Chavez in part by doing damage control on Chavez' screwups. The political work she did in Chicago back when Obama was a kid, helped pave the way for Obama to become President. [WARNING: I am not registering an opinion either for or against Obama's policies and agendas, so anyone who replies in this thread, don't go there! The guy was elected President for 2 terms just like Reagan was, it's not like he's an inconsequential nincompoop. The mere fact he was so elected despite not being White Establishment emphasizes his importance to the long saga of the evolution of USA politics, more than the election of 4 terms of Bushes can do on their behalf.]

Oh yeah, she #3 also did a "film" documentary on Puerto Rican lesbians in Chicago. If you've seen that film, chances are real good that I saw it first.

nleet22, thank you for having the inspiration to start this thread. It's been an interesting journey and fortunately, people have mostly been thoughtful and polite.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't care if you're gay,straight, black,white,yellow, or purple,this hobby is great and I love talking to other people about it.we're all people people.I feel like such a nerd at the metal detecting club meetings we go to because I'm thrilled there are other women that get excited about digging up rusty junk.It's nice to have a conversation about something besides shopping.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't care if you're gay,straight, black,white,yellow, or purple,this hobby is great and I love talking to other people about it.we're all people people.I feel like such a nerd at the metal detecting club meetings we go to because I'm thrilled there are other women that get excited about digging up rusty junk.It's nice to have a conversation about something besides shopping.

Oh my gosh....!!! I know, The other day I was walking through the Beverly Center looking for some strappy sandals to wear to the Tijuana club meeting next wednesday night, when suddenly I so the most adorable Louie Vat-an sure grip Mark IV suction dredge that I've eve seen in My life!! !!! So I was like, Holy crap girl... I've just gotta get me one of those!. Suddenly from out of Nowhere my LBBFFBFS from Santa Monica comes walking by with her New GBBFGB and he was like "We have to take a selfie" !!!
So needless to say, there I was with my LBBFFBFS and her GBBFGB ......

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I lived in Angola for a while, I've also lived in Entebbe Uganda and my passport has a resident stamp for South Africa in it. That makes me an American from Africa, AKA African American.

So, I'm an African American, and I detect. (I've actually lived and worked in Africa)

Matter of fact, low tide is at 6pm and I'm heading to the beach. So, if you you want to see an African American (legally documented as such) detecting in the surf, stop by Pass-a-Grille beach near St. Petersburg this afternoon.

When I get to any government form that says 'white, hispanic, indian, asian so on and so forth' I make my own box, write American next to it and put a check in the box.

Maybe one day it will catch on.

[x] American

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh my gosh....!!! I know, The other day I was walking through the Beverly Center looking for some strappy sandals to wear to the Tijuana club meeting next wednesday night, when suddenly I so the most adorable Louie Vat-an sure grip Mark IV suction dredge that I've eve seen in My life!! !!! So I was like, Holy crap girl... I've just gotta get me one of those!. Suddenly from out of Nowhere my LBBFFBFS from Santa Monica comes walking by with her New GBBFGB and he was like "We have to take a selfie" !!!
So needless to say, there I was with my LBBFFBFS and her GBBFGB ......

Alrighty then...

sent from a potato...

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You nailed it CoilyGirl. :notworthy:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my gosh....!!! I know, The other day I was walking through the Beverly Center looking for some strappy sandals to wear to the Tijuana club meeting next wednesday night, when suddenly I so the most adorable Louie Vat-an sure grip Mark IV suction dredge that I've eve seen in My life!! !!! So I was like, Holy crap girl... I've just gotta get me one of those!. Suddenly from out of Nowhere my LBBFFBFS from Santa Monica comes walking by with her New GBBFGB and he was like "We have to take a selfie" !!! So needless to say, there I was with my LBBFFBFS and her GBBFGB ......

Is this you el pardon? I need a cigarette!!!! Selfie selfie selfie!!!!

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
@midnightmoon: I'm the one who didn't count very carefully. In engineering dept. we routinely get the higher math right, and then completely botch the simple stuff our teachers thought they'd taught us in elementary school.

@el padron: Great holy smokin' ACRONYMS! Oh, and on that 1847 matter, General Winfield Scott was my great-great-great-great-great uncle (I think I got the right number of "greats" in there). In approx. 1972 I made my apologies at the monument to the Ninos Heroes in Mexico DF. We can't undo what was done but we can make the best we can of the aftermath.

@G.I.B.: Many years ago I was filling out forms applying for a job I suspected I didn't really want. They asked about race, check which box, and the the boxes included "other". I checked "other" and explained: "Human race, am not lawyer or ape." They didn't call me...... mission accomplished.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been in this hobby since a kid -1975
and Ive only met 2 Afro American Th'ers
Both were good people and pretty good hunters - keep swinging :icon_thumleft:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious, you being from Lancaster, do you see any Amish detecting? I would expect them to be using a plumb bob or possibly a forked willow stick!:dontknow:I have tried both methods with some success finding water, but prefer my detectors!

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
@el padron: Great holy smokin' ACRONYMS! Oh, and on that 1847 matter, General Winfield Scott was my great-great-great-great-great uncle (I think I got the right number of "greats" in there). In approx. 1972 I made my apologies at the monument to the Ninos Heroes in Mexico DF. We can't undo what was done but we can make the best we can of the aftermath.

That was very noble of you, woof, but I never found the need to do so myself.

All greats societies are based on plunder and besides, Mexico has benefited greatly from loosely basing its political, core value and justice system on that of its big brother in North America.

As an American I have exoerienced first hand the potential for affluence and superior standard of living that the US potentially provides for those starting from nothing.

As a Mexican I treasure the enormous advantage I had over the vast majority of my fellow Americans in possessing a burning ambition that can only be present in someone that experienced true poverty first hand in a land where anything is possible.

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee wizz I always thought I was the only Italian American who metal detected. You mean to tell me other people metal detect? Ive never run into anyone in the boondocks where I detect.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nleet22 ,

Slightly belated but, Welcome to Tnet!! I've never seen a black person (they are actually a Beautiful Brown!) detecting but somehow I just believe they are out there! The Tiger Woods of Metal Detecting, Love It!!! This is a wonderful hobby and it is open to everyone especially when we all dig properly and fill our holes. Make the video, let us know how to get to it and we will watch! Best of Success, 63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions