am I the only african American that metal detects?

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am curious, you being from Lancaster, do you see any Amish detecting? I would expect them to be using a plumb bob or possibly a forked willow stick!:dontknow:I have tried both methods with some success finding water, but prefer my detectors!

Amish in Lancaster? :dontknow:

There's a whole bunch of abandoned mines.

Use to be 20-mule teams rolling thru here. Love me some Death Valley Days!

But no Amish in their buggys.

Oh, my bad.

Original poster is from Lancaster, PA.

I was thinking up the road here -- Lancaster, CA. Which, btw, is named after Lancaster, PA.

We gots Lancaster, Jr. out here.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
That video just made my day!!! I'm couch dancing and nooo I'm not taking a selfie!
I watched it a few times myself, if we looked like that that there would be a whole lot more lesbians here......:)

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Believe me you are not the only Black Detectorist. We have a Great Couple in our Club-S.C.Metal Detecting and Relic Assoc. When they provide refreshment or attend our club Hunt, you won't go Hungry. I got them to also join the Charlotte , N.C.Coin Club. It was about 15 years ago I saw a Black Man Detecting at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and he was way out in the surf with a Garrett. I looked and said no one get's in the water chest high. I talked to him and he said he owns the Shoe Polish Stand at the Airport in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I am Scottish...find another one of THEM out there! (I'm the one in the tot lot with the kilt on..NOT) ha lol...anyway, welcome to the forum, hobby, etc..and have some fun! get the coil to the soil my friend. I REALLY need to hook up with my aunts, uncles, cousins etc. and drag the AT Pro to Falkirk (mothers birthplace) and put down over there! 2000 yrs of history though, I might need a deeper machine...hmm..ddf

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously doubt that you are the only African American who metal detects!
I know of a highly skilled, and articulate individual who is black, I assume he is of African descent, who frequently posts on treasure hunting with the
CTX 3030. IIRC his avatar is a front bust of him doing research, you may still be able to send a PM to him at Samuelljackson on Treasure Net.
If you do, please let him know that I really have enjoyed his posts and hope to meet him some day, if I ever make it back to Florida.
Welcome to the hobby! Send me a PM if you ever make to Hawaii.

I'm not trying to be racist or make jokes but my girlfriend seems to think that I'm the only African American who metal Detects. Prove her wrong please...lol

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not trying to be racist or make jokes but my girlfriend seems to think that I'm the only African American who metal Detects. Prove her wrong please...lol

After reading through this thread, it seems like you are. I wonder why there are not more African American metal detectors?

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People in different social groups do different things. If they didn't, they wouldn't be "different social groups". We'd all be like well-stirred oatmeal.

It's been my observation that in the USA, metal detecting tends to be a middle-aged or older "white guy" activity-- with lots of exceptions of course. Just how it is. There's no law that says that exactly 3% of every demographic across the board has to be swinging a metal detector.

Meanwhile, an important chunk of our business is in Europe and Africa. In England, beeping tends to be an old guy activity. In the rest of Europe, a lot of younger guys. Few women. In Africa, almost exclusively young black guys doing gold prospecting for a living, it's not a hobby for them.

--Dave J.

Ahh, the demographics of beeperdom! How much attention is paid to demographics by the industry? Is the industry currently riding a crest of retiring baby-boomers here in the USA or has this been the predominate demographic for decades? Is anything being done to broaden the appeal beyond the present demographic?

OP
OP
nleet22

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my gosh....!!! I know, The other day I was walking through the Beverly Center looking for some strappy sandals to wear to the Tijuana club meeting next wednesday night, when suddenly I so the most adorable Louie Vat-an sure grip Mark IV suction dredge that I've eve seen in My life!! !!! So I was like, Holy crap girl... I've just gotta get me one of those!. Suddenly from out of Nowhere my LBBFFBFS from Santa Monica comes walking by with her New GBBFGB and he was like "We have to take a selfie" !!!
So needless to say, there I was with my LBBFFBFS and her GBBFGB ......

Lmao!!!

OP
OP
nleet22

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector is black, does that count?
Welcome nleet22!
Get your girlfriend out detecting with you and there will be at lest 2 more detecting!

Oh ya! DON 'T swing your detector like Tiger swings his clubs....you'll scare the hell out of your target!

She's not black..and she hates walking around in circles in a field digging holes..she said its reminds her of what her dog used to do in her back yard......what we do as a hobby is a primitive animal instinct...lol

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sadly I find that very few black people in America metal detect * often a love of history tends to go hand in glove with metal detecting ,and with the past bad "history" of most black americans --they simply want to "forget / ignore" it or focus only on the bad parts of it. (slavery) -- I am glad to see that you enjoy finding bits of history and cool things , many cool things can be found in "rough areas --which are often heavily black populated " places where many white detectorist are often scared to go --(I'm not one of them , I go where I please --so long as its "legal" to do so)-- I seldom have any issues with anyone but sometimes get asked "whatca doing"?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
She's not black..and she hates walking around in circles in a field digging holes..she said its reminds her of what her dog used to do in her back yard......what we do as a hobby is a primitive animal instinct...lol

Lol, just tell her she doesn't have to walk in circles. She can walk in straight lines and grid the field!

sent from a potato...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She also points out how there's only white people in the youtube videos...lol nothing wrong with it..am I the tiger woods of metal detecting? Lol

Well I really can't say if your the "Tiger Woods of metal detecting" but I CAN SAY..... if you are your going to have a whole lot of banner finds coming your way soon. I'm more like the Barney Fife of MD'ing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread