Ramsundi

Oct 13, 2019
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 11" 35XP coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay guys, I don't even have words anymore... I found something crazy yesterday, I don't know yet for sure how old this gold ring is but my best estimate is 17th or 18th century. Here are the pics:

20210404_154512.jpg
20210404_172632.jpg
20210404_172734.jpg

And here is link for the video. Video is in Finnish but you can still see better those details in ring and you can see and feel my excitement when I found it :D

Upvote 107

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful band of yellow goodness! That's gotta be 22k or better. Congratulations on a fantastic find!
Yes, normally about 22.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s awesome. Banner vote engaged

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote now in....

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very beautiful gold ring! Can we see the writing on the inside? Might help with dating it. Again, great find!

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible ring. The craftsmanship is incredible and for saving such a beautiful piece of history, I will definitely be voting for banner! Congratulations.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding such a beautiful ring, and for the banner. That is a special ring for sure.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooo hooo....nice work, nice assist by cru, redcoat and the rest, and definitely banner worthy...congrats on such a great recovery !!

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that find! That is one of the most beautiful gold rings I have ever seen. I had no idea they made such things hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Just a splendid ring.

OP
OP
Ramsundi

Ramsundi

Oct 13, 2019
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you to everyone for congrats and banner! This is so amazing find, I have been going through history books and tried to find out the story of this ring and I think I got lucky and found out the original owner of this ring! It's not 100% sure yet but quite close. And no, Frodo didn't lost his ring in Finland :laughing7:

So, there is no stamps inside the ring, not any kind of. There is just initials, NLSQ and SCDF. I found out that in my town, there has been chaplain Abraham Qvist, he was chaplain during 1701-1722. His parents were Nils LarsSon Qvist and Sara ChristiansDotter. Does that ring the bell? I believe that this ring has been Abrahams mourning ring, for the memory of his parents. Only missing clue is that I haven't found his mothers last name from any documents. But I will keep on searching! I also found one source which told that someone robbed Abraham during The Great Northern War. Russians occupied this town and lots of people ran away to Sweden, included Abraham and his family, this happened on 1714. He came back 1721 and died here 1722. I'm still trying to find documents of that robbery, how amazing it would be if there is a comment about this ring! :blob7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone for congrats and banner! This is so amazing find, I have been going through history books and tried to find out the story of this ring and I think I got lucky and found out the original owner of this ring! It's not 100% sure yet but quite close. And no, Frodo didn't lost his ring in Finland :laughing7:

So, there is no stamps inside the ring, not any kind of. There is just initials, NLSQ and SCDF. I found out that in my town, there has been chaplain Abraham Qvist, he was chaplain during 1701-1722. His parents were Nils LarsSon Qvist and Sara ChristiansDotter. Does that ring the bell? I believe that this ring has been Abrahams mourning ring, for the memory of his parents. Only missing clue is that I haven't found his mothers last name from any documents. But I will keep on searching! I also found one source which told that someone robbed Abraham during The Great Northern War. Russians occupied this town and lots of people ran away to Sweden, included Abraham and his family, this happened on 1714. He came back 1721 and died here 1722. I'm still trying to find documents of that robbery, how amazing it would be if there is a comment about this ring! :blob7:

That would be an incredible discovery.....amazing that you might be able to track the owner back hundreds of years...great work with the research !! Congrats again !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

First let me say: Huge congrats again on the incredible recovery and the well placed Banner. :occasion14:
Well done on the research so far on the ring-wow! I wonder if this was a hidden treasured piece or just a lost in flight/or from pillaging of the home?
Best of luck with the rest of the research.
Question Do you have to report the finding of the ring/like the PAS in England-is there treasure laws in Finland? Or is it a finders keepers item?

OP
OP
Ramsundi

Ramsundi

Oct 13, 2019
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question Do you have to report the finding of the ring/like the PAS in England-is there treasure laws in Finland? Or is it a finders keepers item?

We need to report every piece over 100 years old to Finnish National Museum. Then they will tell if you need to send it to their collection or can you keep it on yourself. I just got answer about this ring that at least they want me to send it to museum but it's not sure yet if they will keep it or will they send it back to me.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We need to report every piece over 100 years old to Finnish National Museum. Then they will tell if you need to send it to their collection or can you keep it on yourself. I just got answer about this ring that at least they want me to send it to museum but it's not sure yet if they will keep it or will they send it back to me.

Do they purchase/reward the finder as in Britain if the item is kept?

OP
OP
Ramsundi

Ramsundi

Oct 13, 2019
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do they purchase/reward the finder as in Britain if the item is kept?

Yes, they give some kind of compensation for the items they keep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread