Ramsundi

Oct 13, 2019
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 11" 35XP coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay guys, I don't even have words anymore... I found something crazy yesterday, I don't know yet for sure how old this gold ring is but my best estimate is 17th or 18th century. Here are the pics:

20210404_154512.jpg
20210404_172632.jpg
20210404_172734.jpg

And here is link for the video. Video is in Finnish but you can still see better those details in ring and you can see and feel my excitement when I found it :D

Upvote 107

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried it on?
That's a work of art...beautiful!
Oh I see you did...banner for me too...

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic, beautiful ring find! Looks like you have a great history of the ring and owners. Congratulations! Thanks for posting!

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very beautiful. Congratulations

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful ring and thanks for the story and history about it.

Congrats on your first banner.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on an amazing historical find! Nice to see you post again.

bobleyland

Greenie
Aug 21, 2004
Hartford, CT
Detector(s) used
White's Blue & Gray
NLSQ SCDF

Reminds me of Latin abbreviations like SPQR (the Sentate and People of Rome) and INRI (Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews).

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on such a cool find and making Banner! Yes, you did sound very excited and happy in your video.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you to everyone for congrats and banner! This is so amazing find, I have been going through history books and tried to find out the story of this ring and I think I got lucky and found out the original owner of this ring! It's not 100% sure yet but quite close. And no, Frodo didn't lost his ring in Finland :laughing7:

So, there is no stamps inside the ring, not any kind of. There is just initials, NLSQ and SCDF. I found out that in my town, there has been chaplain Abraham Qvist, he was chaplain during 1701-1722. His parents were Nils LarsSon Qvist and Sara ChristiansDotter. Does that ring the bell? I believe that this ring has been Abrahams mourning ring, for the memory of his parents. Only missing clue is that I haven't found his mothers last name from any documents. But I will keep on searching! I also found one source which told that someone robbed Abraham during The Great Northern War. Russians occupied this town and lots of people ran away to Sweden, included Abraham and his family, this happened on 1714. He came back 1721 and died here 1722. I'm still trying to find documents of that robbery, how amazing it would be if there is a comment about this ring! :blob7:

nice find and research
thought i would research their names, wow the name scheme in sweden is a little
hard to follow, not sure these are the people
https://www.geni.com/people/Lars-Qvist/6000000010150385175
https://playrface.co.uk/why-do-so-many-swedish-names-end-in-qvist/

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations on a great find!

All the best,

Lanny

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stunning ring! congrats!!!!!!!!!

RonBlack66

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
Pearland, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur 2, White's Surfmaster PI Dual Field, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2, Garrett Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beautiful ring. Congratulations on your awesome find.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, so pretty and unique, stellar find!

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From now on its called the "RAMSUNDI" ring.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked at this a dozen times. Just realized I had not commented. The ring is just stunning. That's the kind of stuff that needs to be banner. Thank you for sharing.

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Red-Coat. Niello, circa 17c. What a killer find! I am a jeweler and have handled lots of antique jewelry, even back to the 18c... never the 17c. And never Niello. Just amazing the condition, but to be expected of fine craftsmanship and of gold. I forget how young a country I live in sometimes here in the USA! I live in North Carolina, so I can find items from the 17c, but its very rare. I don't think I've personally found anything other than horseshoes that could even possibly be dated back that far! Again, WHAT A FIND! If it wasn't banner already, I'd be voting now haha. Happy, safe hunting my friend! Keep finding the history of your country... and always nice when its gold 😄
Jim "Bonez" Brown

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Just WOW! Everyone else has used all the words. My wedding rings are done in the same way, black between the gold. Thanks to the poster who explained the process. I see it's been a month since last comment. Have you heard back from Museum/authorities? Again just amazing and thanks for posting. Congrats on Banner and good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Gold ring, congrats! :occasion14:

Taladeganite

Feb 4, 2020
Antioch, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Mine lab go find 40/60/whites classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you a jeweler? Or do you mean your personal wedding rings? I would love to learn this process. I am making rings in my garage. I'd love to master the method.

Just WOW! Everyone else has used all the words. My wedding rings are done in the same way, black between the gold. Thanks to the poster who explained the process. I see it's been a month since last comment. Have you heard back from Museum/authorities? Again just amazing and thanks for posting. Congrats on Banner and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread