Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all. I'm hoping to find any information as to the possible history of this ring. Incidentally this is also my very first ring so that is super awesome. It was found on a known civil war camp site in Southeast Louisiana which also was a plantation site. It is a signet ring and the inscription reads TIMOR DOMINI FONS VITAE (mirrored) and has what looks to be a falcon atop 3 ostrich feathers. No hallmarks but it is definitely gold. Not sure of the stone itself. Searching online has not provided much in the way of information. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220122_160739.jpg
    20220122_160739.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 554
  • 20220122_164311.jpg
    20220122_164311.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 481
Upvote 39

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I'm hoping to find any information as to the possible history of this ring. Incidentally this is also my very first ring so that is super awesome. It was found on a known civil war camp site in Southeast Louisiana which also was a plantation site. It is a signet ring and the inscription reads TIMOR DOMINI FONS VITAE (mirrored) and has what looks to be a falcon atop 3 ostrich feathers. No hallmarks but it is definitely gold. Not sure of the stone itself. Searching online has not provided much in the way of information. Thanks
The translation is "The fear of the lord is a fountain of life" according to a brief search.No specifics on the ring or the heraldry.

OP
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The translation is "The fear of the lord is a fountain of life" according to a brief search.No specifics on the ring or the heraldry.
Right. Thats what I came up with as well. Just figured I'd give it a shot here. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge or resources could shed some light. Also not entirely sure of its actual age. Really just curious. Thanks!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right. Thats what I came up with as well. Just figured I'd give it a shot here. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge or resources could shed some light. Also not entirely sure of its actual age. Really just curious. Thanks!
RedCoat is probably the man you want for this ID.He may be along or you could PM him and ask him to take a look.He,s in England I believe so there,s a time difference.

OP
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RedCoat is probably the man you want for this ID.He may be along or you could PM him and ask him to take a look.He,s in England I believe so there,s a time differenc

RedCoat is probably the man you want for this ID.He may be along or you could PM him and ask him to take a look.He,s in England I believe so there,s a time difference.
Cool deal. I'll just let it sit for the time being. Going to try and talk to the head of the history dept of the college here in town and see if they might be able to shed some light. Might give them a PM if they don't see it first though.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed but really difficult to date. I’m going to guess first part of the 1800s and pre-Victorian. The seal looks like it might be carved from carnelian.

The “TIMOR DOMINI FONS VITAE” (The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life) is a biblical quote from Proverbs 14:27, so it’s generic and has seen wide usage as a ‘motto’. It was used on English Tudor gold coins for example.

There have been families using it as their own motto and the crest has some resemblance to that used by some members of the Butler and Arcedeckne-Butler families:

Butler.jpg

The heraldic blazon in those cases is: “Out of a Ducal Coronet a Plume of Five Ostrich-Feathers, and rising therefrom a Demi-Falcon with Wings Expanded and Inverted, all proper.” Not an exact match but I would guess this is someone’s crest rather than being generic, although lacking a coronet and its oft-associated implication of nobility.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably know, but the translation is, "The fear of the Lord is the fountain of life." I am sure someone will be along to help you. Nice find.
Very nice indeed but really difficult to date. I’m going to guess first part of the 1800s and pre-Victorian. The seal looks like it might be carved from carnelian.

The “TIMOR DOMINI FONS VITAE” (The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life) is a biblical quote from Proverbs 14:27, so it’s generic and has seen wide usage as a ‘motto’. It was used on English Tudor gold coins for example.

There have been families using it as their own motto and the crest has some resemblance to that used by some members of the Butler and Arcedeckne-Butler families:

View attachment 2005768

The heraldic blazon in those cases is: “Out of a Ducal Coronet a Plume of Five Ostrich-Feathers, and rising therefrom a Demi-Falcon with Wings Expanded and Inverted, all proper.” Not an exact match but I would guess this is someone’s crest rather than being generic, although lacking a coronet and its oft-associated implication of nobility.
Nice job Red_Coat.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly the info I had found. That name Butler kinda gave me pause to be honest. Civil War site and all. Haha. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome. You might try researching the names of plantation owners in your find area, and especially those who came originally from England. I would think this ring was made in America rather than in England, but probably custom-made for someone who had family heritage here.

PS: welcome to Tnet.

OP
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're welcome. You might try researching the names of plantation owners in your find area, and especially those who came originally from England. I would think this ring was made in America rather than in England, but probably custom-made for someone who had family heritage here.

PS: welcome to Tnet.
Well I doesn't match any of the owners of the property, which was a plantation, it was found on as far as I can tell looking back to the early 1800s. I'm surely going to keep looking though!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I doesn't match any of the owners of the property, which was a plantation, it was found on as far as I can tell looking back to the early 1800s. I'm surely going to keep looking though!

Good luck. Don't assume you're looking for a "Butler" though. The nature of crests like this is that elements of them became incorporated into the crests of other individuals by marriage. Start with the family names you can find and then look for crests they may have used... rather than the other way round (if that makes sense).

This wouldn't have been a cheap thing to have made, so I think you're looking for someone with a bit of wealth and plantation ownership would be a good start.

OP
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Right right. Hopefully a local historian can help a bit there. I've been looking at so many family crests since I dug this its crazy haha. I have a feeling this is going to be a lengthy search but rewarding nonetheless.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any stamps or marks inside the ring? That may give you a better idea of age.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions