Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all. I'm hoping to find any information as to the possible history of this ring. Incidentally this is also my very first ring so that is super awesome. It was found on a known civil war camp site in Southeast Louisiana which also was a plantation site. It is a signet ring and the inscription reads TIMOR DOMINI FONS VITAE (mirrored) and has what looks to be a falcon atop 3 ostrich feathers. No hallmarks but it is definitely gold. Not sure of the stone itself. Searching online has not provided much in the way of information. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220122_160739.jpg
    20220122_160739.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 554
  • 20220122_164311.jpg
    20220122_164311.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 481
Upvote 39

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked the ā€œRegistry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armorā€ published for the Genealogical Association by Crow Press of NY in 1904 (re-copyrighted in 2016 by FB &c Ltd) and the only possibility that came up was another ā€œButlerā€.

Specifically, a 1748 listing for Thomas Butler of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (originally from Ireland). The arms were listed as ā€œOr [gold], a chief indented azure [blue] and three escallops in bend counterchangedā€; the Crest as ā€œOut of a ducal coronet or [gold], a plume of fine ostrich feathers argent [silver], a falcon rising of the lastā€; the motto as ā€œTimor Domini fons vitaeā€.

So the crest and motto were essentially the same as for the picture I posted for Francis Butler of Hastings (England), with the crest not matching to the ring.

There were other Butlers too, including some in Louisiana including those found by ā€˜relevantchairā€™. I no longer use genealogy sites that require payment (most of the best ones these days) and also my European IP address gets blocked by some of the American sources for information in order not to fall foul of European data protection lawsā€¦ so I canā€™t help much in joining the dots between the various Butlers into Louisianaā€¦ even assuming that itā€™s a Butler weā€™re looking for.

Just a couple of other things to remember. Off-shoots from the main lineage of a family as a result of marrying into it might well use elements of the original family crest as I mentioned previously. The ring looks rather small, to the extent that it could be a ladiesā€™ ring for someone who married into the family. Also, note that the American registry I referenced above uses the words ā€œā€¦ Entitled to Coat Armorā€. What we have on the ring is a standalone crest without an armorial, and also with no coronet to suggest nobility. It was often the case that those not strictly ā€˜entitledā€™ to an armorial might still use elements of it if they felt they had a family connectionā€¦ or even ā€˜borrowā€™ heraldic elements that they found attractive or appropriate to create their own crest in order to impress people. There was a tendency for a certain amount of ā€˜one upmanshipā€™ in those times, whereby anyone regarding themselves as prominent in the business community felt disadvantaged if they didnā€™t have an armorial, or a crest at the very least, whether they had a true ā€˜entitlementā€™ to it or not.

For example, thatā€™s my family armorial in my avatar, which is registered with the College of Arms in London. It has specific elements in the crest (a helm surmounted by a fish) and a motto of "In Cruce Salus" (In the cross there is salvation) which relate to a Knighthood granted by King Richard I in 1191 towards the end of the Third Crusades. I feel entitled to ā€˜useā€™ it on the basis I believe (with evidence that has some temporal gaps) my family can be traced back to that connection. But other folks having no likelihood of the same family lineage have also since ā€˜adoptedā€™ it and versions of it purely on the basis that they happen to have the same surname. Elements of it as ā€˜borrowedā€™ emblems also appear in other crests, including for completely unrelated surnames.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I checked the ā€œRegistry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armorā€ published for the Genealogical Association by Crow Press of NY in 1904 (re-copyrighted in 2016 by FB &c Ltd) and the only possibility that came up was another ā€œButlerā€.

Specifically, a 1748 listing for Thomas Butler of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (originally from Ireland). The arms were listed as ā€œOr [gold], a chief indented azure [blue] and three escallops in bend counterchangedā€; the Crest as ā€œOut of a ducal coronet or [gold], a plume of fine ostrich feathers argent [silver], a falcon rising of the lastā€; the motto as ā€œTimor Domini fons vitaeā€.

So the crest and motto were essentially the same as for the picture I posted for Francis Butler of Hastings (England), with the crest not matching to the ring.

There were other Butlers too, including some in Louisiana including those found by ā€˜relevantchairā€™. I no longer use genealogy sites that require payment (most of the best ones these days) and also my European IP address gets blocked by some of the American sources for information in order not to fall foul of European data protection lawsā€¦ so I canā€™t help much in joining the dots between the various Butlers into Louisianaā€¦ even assuming that itā€™s a Butler weā€™re looking for.

Just a couple of other things to remember. Off-shoots from the main lineage of a family as a result of marrying into it might well use elements of the original family crest as I mentioned previously. The ring looks rather small, to the extent that it could be a ladiesā€™ ring for someone who married into the family. Also, note that the American registry I referenced above uses the words ā€œā€¦ Entitled to Coat Armorā€. What we have on the ring is a standalone crest without an armorial, and also with no coronet to suggest nobility. It was often the case that those not strictly ā€˜entitledā€™ to an armorial might still use elements of it if they felt they had a family connectionā€¦ or even ā€˜borrowā€™ heraldic elements that they found attractive or appropriate to create their own crest in order to impress people. There was a tendency for a certain amount of ā€˜one upmanshipā€™ in those times, whereby anyone regarding themselves as prominent in the business community felt disadvantaged if they didnā€™t have an armorial, or a crest at the very least, whether they had a true ā€˜entitlementā€™ to it or not.

For example, thatā€™s my family armorial in my avatar, which is registered with the College of Arms in London. It has specific elements in the crest (a helm surmounted by a fish) and a motto of "In Cruce Salus" (In the cross there is salvation) which relate to a Knighthood granted by King Richard I in 1191 towards the end of the Third Crusades. I feel entitled to ā€˜useā€™ it on the basis I believe (with evidence that has some temporal gaps) my family can be traced back to that connection. But other folks having no likelihood of the same family lineage have also since ā€˜adoptedā€™ it and versions of it purely on the basis that they happen to have the same surname. Elements of it as ā€˜borrowedā€™ emblems also appear in other crests, including for completely unrelated surnames.
Wow! Thanks for the info! I know realistically I'll likely never know the history behind the ring but it is definitely fun trying to figure it out and I am learning new things as I dig deeper. Might run across some good local info as well. I have emailed the head of the history dept at the local university so hopefully he can direct me to someone versed in local history and maybe get some more info and narrow down the search. Either way its fun learning new things and a great part of the hobby for me. Thanks again for the help!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a really a top shelf recovery, congratulations!
It's an interesting post up of comments on the ring.
A woman's seal ring from her side of the family?
Hope the local historians can shed more light on your awesome recovery.

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice.

Is the stone (looks like carnelian to me) sitting on a platform/table or is it hollow underneath (i.e. if you look at a light, is the stone translucent). Can you tell if it is hand- or machine-engraved?

During late 1800s-early 1900s they were usually for men (and this one looks ā€˜manlyā€™) to imply inclusion into upper classes and wealth. If it is smaller, it might have been worn as a pinky ring which was more of a British tradition.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During late 1800s-early 1900s they were usually for men (and this one looks ā€˜manlyā€™) to imply inclusion into upper classes and wealth. If it is smaller, it might have been worn as a pinky ring which was more of a British tradition.

It seems to barely fit on Atticis' pinky! I'm more inclined to think for a lady.

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be for a lady, but both men and women were smaller 100 years ago. On the other hand (yes, pun intended), I occasionally wear my grandfatherā€™s and my fatherā€™s rings.

Stephanie Young

Jan 25, 2022
Texas
Hi all. I'm hoping to find any information as to the possible history of this ring. Incidentally this is also my very first ring so that is super awesome. It was found on a known civil war camp site in Southeast Louisiana which also was a plantation site. It is a signet ring and the inscription reads TIMOR DOMINI FONS VITAE (mirrored) and has what looks to be a falcon atop 3 ostrich feathers. No hallmarks but it is definitely gold. Not sure of the stone itself. Searching online has not provided much in the way of information. Thanks
Nice find

OP
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice.

Is the stone (looks like carnelian to me) sitting on a platform/table or is it hollow underneath (i.e. if you look at a light, is the stone translucent). Can you tell if it is hand- or machine-engraved?

It's sitting on a table. I'm not familiar enough to say hand or machine engraved but it does seem to have quite a bit of detail. Hopefully a jeweler I know will enlighten me on that aspect next week.

OP
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems to barely fit on Atticis' pinky! I'm more inclined to think for a lady.
I am a larger than average dude though. I will say it strikes me as a man's ring and does fit well on my pinky. The picture makes it seem more snug than it actually is.

OP
OP
Atticis

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update. I contacted the author of the book releventchair linked and will hopefully meet with him tomorrow. He seems to think it's possibly linked to his Butlers and has some family silver with their crest on it to compare.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a larger than average dude though. I will say it strikes me as a man's ring and does fit well on my pinky. The picture makes it seem more snug than it actually is.

Update. I contacted the author of the book releventchair linked and will hopefully meet with him tomorrow. He seems to think it's possibly linked to his Butlers and has some family silver with their crest on it to compare.

Thanks very much for those replies. Do keep us posted, Would love to see pictures of crests on the family silver if it's possible for them to be shared.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find & please update us if you find out anything further?

OH..POPS

Dec 18, 2021
Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Briefly the words " Timor Domini Fons Vitae " is Latin meaning
" The fear of the LORD is a fountain of LIFE "
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be for a lady, but both men and women were smaller 100 years ago. On the other hand (yes, pun intended), I occasionally wear my grandfatherā€™s and my fatherā€™s rings.

Just think how small people were a million years ago, that must be why dinosaurs seemed so big.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Briefly the words " Timor Domini Fons Vitae " is Latin meaning
" The fear of the LORD is a fountain of LIFE "
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure

Thanks, but if you read the thread from the beginning, we had already established that. As I said, it's a biblical quote from Proverbs 14:27 and, as such, doesn't move us forward except that a number of families (including the Butlers) used it as their motto.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread