Amazing...

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
It totally amazes me that there is so little input on this alaska thread...there is sooooooo muchmore gold here than anywhere else in the u.s. part of it i am surethe majority of people who 'do it' or 'make it'herein alaska donot want all to know just how good it is here, and...really, it is difficult for your average 'joe; to make a go of it...all the same...it is simply a great place to find gold. sorrry for the bad typing...the pc is acting up..lol

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I am a little surprised also at the apparent lack of interest, however in a way it is understandable. Most of the state is inaccessible by road, and many folks expect to be able to step out of their 4WD and start finding nuggets. The fact that this type of place (where you can step out of your car and start finding nuggets) is extremely rare, and the few that exist get hit very heavily (leaving little to find) does not change that attitude.

The other big problem is the fact that HUGE areas of Alaska are no longer open to us - vast areas declared "wilderness" and "national monument" not to mention the vast areas now deeded to various native peoples, so a fellow has to hunt very carefully to find an area in the state where he (or she) can legally go do some metal detecting and prospecting. I agree, Alaska is (arguably) the very best place in the USA to find gold, however some of the very best areas for gold in the state are now CLOSED to mineral entry and you may lose your detector or even get arrested for simply doing your own "pursuit of happiness".

I personally have lost a superb mining claim in Alaska to a native corporation through a lawsuit, and the whole region around there, <which is highly mineralized and extremely promising for gold>, is now property of the Bering Straits Native Corp and you will get arrested if you go there. As much as I LOVE Alaska, and agree it is, or rather WAS a super place to hunt gold, I don't recommend it to any but the very persistent types whom are not easily discouraged.

Sorry for the negative post, just trying to explain why (I suspect) we don't see MUCH more interest in the greatest state of all.
Oroblanco

Stryker_FO

Feb 22, 2008
White Mountain Lakes
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its in retrospect to actually how many forums members are currently in Alaska.. I havent seen too many that are staying year round up here as opposed to the Summer Visitors...

but on a good note it was 37 F above today so its getting close to gold time..

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
I'm reading a book on the Yukon gold rush and was wondering about those areas where the original finds were like Dawson etc. Are those places off limits? Is the Klondike off limits??

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
tapoutking said:
I'm reading a book on the Yukon gold rush and was wondering about those areas where the original finds were like Dawson etc. Are those places off limits? Is the Klondike off limits??

What book are you reading? In the last two weeks I have posted a number of entries on GoodyGuy's thread "Gold Rush Alaska season 2" under the main heading of "Gold Prospecting" and also under the heading of "Metal Detecting for Gold" with the sub-heading of "Gold in the Klondike." By the way, the Klondike is not in Alaska, it is in Canada.
If you look at the threads I have given you, and it doesn't answer any of your questions, just ask.

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Thanks Gork. I went over and read your posts. Amazing man. You are truly blessed to be able to live and work there. I posted over there as well regarding the book i am currently reading (I actually collect books on the California Gold rush and history of the west). My grandfather worked in Alaska as a young man (oil) and used to tell me stories when I was a kid. I've always wanted to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread