Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an Amazon kindle for Christmas from my daughter. They always spell kendle with a small "k" for some reason? But anyway, I may never have to go to the book store again. My first purchase from Amazon was a 99 cent pamphlet that listed all or most of the sites on the net that had free downloads of popular book titles. There are literally thousands of free books to be had merely by taking the time to download them. Amazon even has a hundred or so free classics to download. I have the kindle series 3that has all the bells and whistles. Learning how to use it to my best advantage is now my challenge. Heck, I haven't even figured out the computer yet! But anyway I think this gift will be invaluable over time and it was a complete surprise and a very thoughtful gift from my baby girl. Monty

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I won one from the company Christmas party!!! I'm still trying to figure it out. If I can keep it out of the wifes hands long enough!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that sounds like a great deal, especially where you can download many books for free. I haven't even looked into kindle, I love the feel of turning a page :tongue3: My question to you is, does kindle have some sort of electronic book mark? Even with that, I like having the ability to skim and return to certain passages from time to time.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spart, it does have a book mark and you can also make notations on the text if you wish as well as go back or forward as many pages as you want to. You can download books from your computer or by wireless whichever you prefer. You can keep severa hundred books on file if you wish and delete them at will. I have found only a few books that I reread and I just donated over a hundred books to the library because my bookshelves here at home are stuffed. The kindle I got for Christmas is the model III and it comes with a built in wifi receiver. It also has a search mode that lets you look up books by author or title and if you buy a book to download from Amazon, the cost is only about a fourth of what it costs on the shelf. Amazon lists well over 3 hundred thousand books. The battery seems to last forever and it has an automatic shutoff if you don't turn a page for about 20 minutes that is a battery saver. I love mine so far and yes, I am still working on learning how to operate all the features. Monty

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Kindle. Downloading books is a breeze and cheaper than buying the pulp version. ;D

If there is any downside to Kindle, its that graphics and photos do not reproduce well. If you have book with a lot of photos or graphics, you're probably better off buying the paper version.

But given the rapid expansion technology, I'm sure a later generation fo Kindle will solve that problem.

Other than that, Kindle is king. It will save you a lot a of bookshelf space in your home. :icon_thumleft:

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
kc10bull said:
I won one from the company Christmas party!!!
HA! That is where I got mine. Liked it so much I bought one for my daughter for Christmas.

I think there are only a few books on mine from the Amazon store. I get most of my reading material for free from archive.org They have a ton of old, scanned books that I find intriguing. Found quite a few good places to poke around by reading old stuff on there.

Oh, my eyes tire pretty easily (not a spring chicken any more) but I can read my kindle for hours at a time with no tiring. :icon_thumleft:

Definitely a 10+ in my book.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I like about it is the ability to adjust the type size. I can read it without glasses if I really have to. One thing I don't like is the location of the page turners. Every time I pick it up I accidentally turn the page back or forward. I have the kindle 3 and the buttons are on both sides about midway up the sides. But I can live with it as the benifits outway the shortcomings. I was trying to figure out how to download a book from a different site other than Amazon yesterday and never quite got it done, so I will be back at it today. Monty

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Kindle Keyboard model when it was introduced at $139 and I bought a leather cover soon afterward. Since then, I have bought my wife one. I bought a Kindle Fire HD, then a Kindle Paperwhite, and the latest is the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (not the HDX). I wanted to stick with the older model of the 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD because the screen resolution on the newer one makes the text so stinking small on blogs and websites that I cannot read some of them without enlarging everything. Since I use the thing for business, it also saved me a tidy sum by going with the last generation model.

In short, I love my Kindles.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
I have a Kindle Fire that I wore the case out, it's so old I can't find a replacement. I read a few chapters before sleep each night. Its at least 7 years old and has 127 books listed as read. At this time I'm reading Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher Book. That is one of my favorite authors. I'm a 22 year retired military member and some of my favorite reading is about WWII and Vietnam (was stationed there two years). I very much enjoy Amazon and Audible Books. For enjoyable service and content I highly recommend them both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread