Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife complained to me that none of the “button” batteries (the kind for electrical tea lights) she just got from Amazon were working. She showed me the package and inside was a few dozen loose button batteries. I told her that batteries couldn’t be stored like that and she said that they arrived that way but usually they are mounted on cardboard strips. She said that fortunately she had another package and as she felt the padded envelope she said that yes, these were mounted on the cardboard packaging. When she cut open the envelope, there were all the cardboard strips, opened with batteries all loose inside the envelope. I told her that obviously someone had returned them and Amazon simply put them back in their inventory.

Makes me wonder how many other products have been handled by customers, returned to Amazon and then resold. Needless to say, she’s not a happy camper (but this time it’s not my fault :laughing7:)

dts

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shop local, support local, return local.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I just can’t believe it. I wonder how many things like diving masks and snorkels have been used for a one week vacation and then returned to Amazon where they are resold. Obviously, someone returned all their dead batteries for new ones and my wife got the unlucky draw.

You are all correct... shop local.
dts

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a common complaint, but not confined to orders from Amazon.

In recent times I bought a cordless phone with multiple handsets from a high street retailer which didn't work properly. While I was tinkering with it I found the memory already contained telephone numbers for 'Mum', 'Doctor' and various other stored numbers. I phoned the 'Mum' number and the lady kindly checked with her daughter, who confirmed she had returned it to the shop as faulty a few weeks before it was sold to me.

I also bought a laptop from a leading high street chain and found someone had previously burned their own system back-up discs for it (hand-labelled with magic marker), which were in the box with the original accessories. It 'blue-screened' whenever I did any heavy-duty tasks.

There were no quibbles when I returned the items, and I got a very strong impression on both occasions that the stores knew full well the items were 'returns'. For both items, before taking them back, I tucked a little note inside the packaging saying "returned to store as defective on dd/mm/yy" along with my telephone number so no-one else would get caught.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Brampton(Toronto) distrubution outlet is getting shut down. 5000 employees for 2 weeks because of the increasing number of COVID cases in the facility.
Employees are concerned about the 650 cases since Nov.
So much for that quick delivery that so many need.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sometimes I wonder about their "Quality Control" I once bought a US Navy t-shirt from Amazon only to receive it and notice that it says " United Stated Navy" on the shirt... My fault, it was in the ad's pic as such.. learned to read everything and question quality LOL

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So,, you're saying that Amazon would not be the best place to buy condoms??
I just can’t believe it. I wonder how many things like diving masks and snorkels have been used for a one week vacation and then returned to Amazon where they are resold. Obviously, someone returned all their dead batteries for new ones and my wife got the unlucky draw.

You are all correct... shop local.
dts

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't trust anything lately.....

Last edited:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I wonder about their "Quality Control" I once bought a US Navy t-shirt from Amazon only to receive it and notice that it says " United Stated Navy" on the shirt...

Was probably printed in China

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I managed a Home Base, we'd get returns for refund that had obviously been used. We joked that they were rentals. If they used it and broke it & said so I'd exchange it (good PR), if they insulted me by acting like I was to dumb see the tool had been used / abused, I'd mark it off their receipt & send them on their way. A couple guys stood there & actually said, "What'd ya do that for?"

Do you have a 99cent store where you're at? They have those tea lights for 99 cents & three packs of the button cells too. Don't tell the wife!!!! She'll be swinging in with a big bag full! saying, wait for it! "But they were so cheap!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread