Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally get a few days off and take off to camp in one of my favorite places in the SLV. Last camped there in September. We load up, drive three hours to get there, absolutely nobody else in the campground, find a spot, go to pay and am confronted with this. No clue when this changed. No FCFS sites either. Tried to call BLM to get some info about this change but my call couldn't be directed as dialed. I did find out that Zapata Falls on the other side of the valley is now reservation only. Maria used the bathroom in that campground before we left and sorry we didn't get 'online' and make a reservation. That's fine, I got about a million acres for dispersed camping so we found a great isolated spot as you can see. Because of that 'online reservation' deal, I don't camp in State Parks, AHRA campgrounds, and I guess now in Colorado BLM campgrounds. I can't sit on the computer and realistically reserve a site 6 months in advance. BLM, you can KMA.
4-19aa.jpg
4-20aa.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally get a few days off and take off to camp in one of my favorite places in the SLV. Last camped there in September. We load up, drive three hours to get there, absolutely nobody else in the campground, find a spot, go to pay and am confronted with this. No clue when this changed. No FCFS sites either. Tried to call BLM to get some info about this change but my call couldn't be directed as dialed. I did find out that Zapata Falls on the other side of the valley is now reservation only. Maria used the bathroom in that campground before we left and sorry we didn't get 'online' and make a reservation. That's fine, I got about a million acres for dispersed camping so we found a great isolated spot as you can see. Because of that 'online reservation' deal, I don't camp in State Parks, AHRA campgrounds, and I guess now in Colorado BLM campgrounds. I can't sit on the computer and realistically reserve a site 6 months in advance. BLM, you can KMA.
View attachment 2022104 View attachment 2022105
Another nail in the coffin of American freedom.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another nail in the coffin of American freedom.
Was in Elko Nevada going to look for some old mining claims/maps on BLM property. Went by their office when they first opened. Must have been 30 cars and trucks parked behind their offices. We walked in and were the only ones in foyer, waiting area. We told the lady out front what we were wanting help with. There were trays and baskets of pastries and doughnuts sitting behind her. After about 15 minutes some guy came out and asked if he could help us. After listening he said maybe they could help us at the courthouse, pointed in the direction of courthouse, turned and picked up a tray, and went into the back of the building. I wonder if he realizes he works for us? I do not have to wonder if he gave a rat's ars.
My first and only contact with BLM and I have been on BLM property many times.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was in Elko Nevada going to look for some old mining claims/maps on BLM property. Went by their office when they first opened. Must have been 30 cars and trucks parked behind their offices. We walked in and were the only ones in foyer, waiting area. We told the lady out front what we were wanting help with. There were trays and baskets of pastries and doughnuts sitting behind her. After about 15 minutes some guy came out and asked if he could help us. After listening he said maybe they could help us at the courthouse, pointed in the direction of courthouse, turned and picked up a tray, and went into the back of the building. I wonder if he realizes he works for us? I do not have to wonder if he gave a rat's ars.
My first and only contact with BLM and I have been on BLM property many times.
ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Hoist the black flag and commence cutting throats!:BangHead: Didn,t even offer you a do-nut!:BangHead:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try going online to make a reservation? You might have been able to get a reservation and permit for that same day.
Believe it or not,but a lot of people still don,t have a smart phone or device that can do this.We use a computer,I do anyhow.I,m not real online literate you,d say.I don,t have a printer to print out a hard copy either. Last time I renewed my hunting and fishing license online the Game and Fish wouldn,t mail me a hard copy license,I didn,t know that before renewing.Without a device to store a electronic copy I was shoot out of luck trying to convince a warden I had a valid license. Finally went to a dealer and bought another license,paid again you see,just to have one for the warden.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great example of a "First World Problem". Went online as the sign above said to, was able to make a reservation in under 2 minutes, even a same day reservation, and there were plenty of camping spots available, even still a few the following weekend (and weekends are generally hard to get in). Most campsites too, reserve a few spots for "walk ins", though you got to be early to usually get those!

IMO, the internet can often increase freedom, not decrease it. Nothing worse then driving half way across the country to find out your favorite spot is full, now that is a loss of freedom! Reservations prevent this loss of freedom.

"A" means available:
penitite campground.jpg

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not,but a lot of people still don,t have a smart phone or device that can do this.We use a computer,I do anyhow.I,m not real online literate you,d say.I don,t have a printer to print out a hard copy either. Last time I renewed my hunting and fishing license online the Game and Fish wouldn,t mail me a hard copy license,I didn,t know that before renewing.Without a device to store a electronic copy I was shoot out of luck trying to convince a warden I had a valid license. Finally went to a dealer and bought another license,paid again you see,just to have one for the warden.
I understand, but a smart phone is getting to be a necessity. You don’t have one and a lot of things are just going to be harder to get done. I used a flip phone until a couple years ago when I forgot it in my pocket while water detecting and drowned it. So I got an iPhone and absolutely no regrets. Don’t do much on it except phone calls but couldn’t get by now without the GPS on it getting me where I want to go and back home again.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the hell does it have to be one or the other? We are blessed with such technology that we can only use it? It’s supposed to be a tool not a requirement. Very very short sighted on behalf of the people propping it up.

These people while die of starvation with a cell phone in there hand telling Siri to order a pizza...

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not dissing anyone,just pointing out a thing that a lot of older folks have trouble with :laughing7:
Learning to drive a car was probably much more complicated than riding a horse but the technology was worth it. And can buy a smart phone now for as little as $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try going online to make a reservation? You might have been able to get a reservation and permit for that same day.
Thanks for that suggestion. Mainly, there is no wi-fi or cellphone service in that spot. I did not have a computer with me and I don't have a cellphone either. And why should I have to go 'online' to do anything? Got by fine without any thing 'online' for 68 years so far now.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that suggestion. Mainly, there is no wi-fi or cellphone service in that spot. I did not have a computer with me and I don't have a cellphone either. And why should I have to go 'online' to do anything? Got by fine without any thing 'online' for 68 years so far now.
Good one RGINN!:notworthy: Said it better and in fewer words.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like online reservations. Before there were times I would get to the campground, it was full and I had to turn around and go home. There is very little open land to camp on in OK. Almost all land is state/federal, or private.
Check out the state wildlife areas in Oklahoma and there's plenty of areas to camp. AT LEAST, that used to be the case.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you SusanMN for offering advice. I know I sound contrary. For 25 years I had to be in constant contact with work. Where I was, how I could be contacted, check in every day. No, I do not want or need a smart phone or cel these days. I can pretty much handle anything that comes up. Stephen King has a new book out that he must have wrote for me, called 'Cell'. Give that a read. And sorry if this post is tryin to go political, it really isn't, and thanks for all the responses.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you SusanMN for offering advice. I know I sound contrary. For 25 years I had to be in constant contact with work. Where I was, how I could be contacted, check in every day. No, I do not want or need a smart phone or cel these days. I can pretty much handle anything that comes up. Stephen King has a new book out that he must have wrote for me, called 'Cell'. Give that a read. And sorry if this post is tryin to go political, it really isn't, and thanks for all the responses.
Kinda hard to talk about the Government without a bit of political slippin in.But everyone,s done a fine job of tip toeing around it!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great example of a "First World Problem". Went online as the sign above said to, was able to make a reservation in under 2 minutes, even a same day reservation, and there were plenty of camping spots available, even still a few the following weekend (and weekends are generally hard to get in). Most campsites too, reserve a few spots for "walk ins", though you got to be early to usually get those!

IMO, the internet can often increase freedom, not decrease it. Nothing worse then driving half way across the country to find out your favorite spot is full, now that is a loss of freedom! Reservations prevent this loss of freedom.

"A" means available:
View attachment 2022130
Good for you. Were you standing at the entrance when you did that? No you weren't, cause you wouldn't have been able to get on the internet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread