An aggravation

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I shake my head when I read the opposing views, but I'm ok with hearing all sides. The things that strike me real funny are not comments about preparedness or due diligence, nor are they comments about finding out the bad news on arrival. I wonder why people want to go "camping" and then set up in a "campground". I think too many people take too many things with them to be realistically "camping". And why would they want to set up where other people are near by. I guess my Idea is a little skewed but I thought the idea was to "get away for a few days". The real reason I shake my head is why is it ok for people in this country to think that they should have to "get a permit" or " get reservations" to camp on their own land?
why would someone take a chance and drive 500 to 1000 miles with three of 4 horses in there camping trailer and take a chance on finding a place to camp with them ? When i go some place I want to make sure we have a place to stay :)

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understood! But why is there not a place to camp? If you're on a state or national park, you own it...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One wouldn't if they didn't check before leaving home. And when you got there, they posted a sign on how to register and it was quick, easy, and took less than two minutes. In this day and age, if you make the choice not to have a "smart phone", you know that it comes with certain limitations and that's a choice you made. Problem is, many want to blame others for their own choices and lack of due diligence. I believe it's why we have such a rise in "Karen's", entitled people who forget that the major tenent of freedom is personal responsibility for one's choices.

A few still choose to own no cell phone at all, but they know with that choice, they may have to walk if their car breaks down, and they take responsibility for that.
It,s not always a choice on the phone. The cost is a consideration for many,and yes a 100.00 bucks can be a lot to some. That said I too subscribe to your personal responsibility tenet,always have,always will. My problems are the result of no one but myself.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I shake my head when I read the opposing views, but I'm ok with hearing all sides. The things that strike me real funny are not comments about preparedness or due diligence, nor are they comments about finding out the bad news on arrival. I wonder why people want to go "camping" and then set up in a "campground". I think too many people take too many things with them to be realistically "camping". And why would they want to set up where other people are near by. I guess my Idea is a little skewed but I thought the idea was to "get away for a few days". The real reason I shake my head is why is it ok for people in this country to think that they should have to "get a permit" or " get reservations" to camp on their own land?
My opinion exactly!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have been thinking about boondocking in southern Utah. But with the drought, are campfires allowed?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been thinking about boondocking in southern Utah. But with the drought, are campfires allowed?
Tough one to tell they got a big fire right now on the edge of Flag Staff Arizona. You are usually good to go with a small gas stove in the mountains.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting topic...never realized "public" campgrounds had gone so
high-tech.

The states and fed's have also gone fee crazy, they just keep making up more crap to charge extra fees for, and act like we should feel privileged to camp in a small space and put up with the racket of a hundred other people.

For me, when I go camping, the idea is to get as far away as possible
from the rest of humanity. Probably the reason I love Nevada so much.
Just cruise around til you find a good spot, and you're all set. Peace and quiet, dark skies full of stars and no signs telling you that you can't take a leak on a bush. Leave a place the way you found it.

Fortunately, the wife and I live where city people go camping, and there's half a dozen campgrounds within 20 miles full of 'em. If I want to feel like I'm camping, I'll make a campfire in the back yard, pitch a tent and listen to the river rolling by.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why people want to go "camping" and then set up in a "campground". I think too many people take too many things with them to be realistically "camping".
I'm a backpacker, i only bring in what i can hump back out. No glamping for this guy!

The real reason I shake my head is why is it ok for people in this country to think that they should have to "get a permit" or " get reservations" to camp on their own land?
That's pitching me a softball question, i can give you 326,000,000 million reasons and growing! I'm sure the OP can attest to this too, during peak seasons, the traffic in parks is getting overwhelming as it is, and with that, comes a whole slew of people who don't give two rips about what trash and vandalism they leave behind. Unfortunately, most people aren't as conscientious of our lands as the people on this board who live and breathe the outdoors.

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you do have the memories you can cherish.
Hey tamrock, I put up that Welcome to California sign you photographed. It’s just after you enter California from Oregon on Hwy 199. I worked that highway for the the state highways maintenance crew in that area for many years.

A beautiful drive along that route. The campgrounds along there, in the Six Rivers National Forest, are a mix of reservation and first come-first serve campsites.

Mike

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understood! But why is there not a place to camp? If you're on a state or national park, you own it...
yes we own them . We also own the roads but there are laws governing us on how to use them. I hate to think of what this world would be without LAWS and guidelines

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a backpacker, i only bring in what i can hump back out. No glamping for this guy!

That's pitching me a softball question, i can give you 326,000,000 million reasons and growing! I'm sure the OP can attest to this too, during peak seasons, the traffic in parks is getting overwhelming as it is, and with that, comes a whole slew of people who don't give two rips about what trash and vandalism they leave behind. Unfortunately, most people aren't as conscious of our lands as the people on this board who live and breathe the outdoors.
Mind if i ask you how old you are ?
I am 76 with a crushed pelvis. I am lucky to still get around on my own

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of these new methods are called PROGRESS some are called MADNESS 111

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is absolutely no reason I should have checked to see if the campground was now reservation only, based on past experience. I also fail to see where the Bureau of Less Management had a public hearing on deciding this change. It's our land, we should be allowed to have some input. Probably it's a good deal, because it's mostly front range yuppies overrunning the place anyway. They can have it, I'm tired of having to show them how to start a fire, give them firewood, watch out for snakes, and give them directions to the nearest Starbucks. (I don't know where one is. Maybe Alamosa.) Only reason I ever go to an established campground is because Maria likes the facilities. Zapata Falls is the same way now, reservation only. No problem really, cause I got thousands of acres in the National Forest in the area I can camp in.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is absolutely no reason I should have checked to see if the campground was now reservation only, based on past experience. I also fail to see where the Bureau of Less Management had a public hearing on deciding this change. It's our land, we should be allowed to have some input. Probably it's a good deal, because it's mostly front range yuppies overrunning the place anyway. They can have it, I'm tired of having to show them how to start a fire, give them firewood, watch out for snakes, and give them directions to the nearest Starbucks. (I don't know where one is. Maybe Alamosa.) Only reason I ever go to an established campground is because Maria likes the facilities. Zapata Falls is the same way now, reservation only. No problem really, cause I got thousands of acres in the National Forest in the area I can camp in.
Yep the women folk like the privy's, happy wife happy life.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Unfortunately, most people aren't as conscious of our lands as the people on this board who live and breathe the outdoors." Go Deep
Agree whole-heartedly! A shame that so few can spoil it for so many!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People camp in tents here in the city where I live. Once I was walking my dogs by a tent and a couple cops were walking up to it and the cops said hello anyone in there and voice said yes there is. The cops asked if they were OK and the guy inside asked is it against the law at where he pitched his tent and cops said not at all. I live in Boulder County Colorado and I guess its fine to live and sleep where ever you want now. Any vacant spot that'll work it seems. Winter has come to an end and I'm sure more tents will start appearing again. Maybe one will be mine. ??
Hey tamrock, I put up that Welcome to California sign you photographed. It’s just after you enter California from Oregon on Hwy 199. I worked that highway for the the state highways maintenance crew in that area for many years.

A beautiful drive along that route. The campgrounds along there, in the Six Rivers National Forest, are a mix of reservation and first come-first serve campsites.

Mike
One time we went up to Mendocino and drove out to a beach and a bunch of hippie types were there as we enter the beach saying they were there to raise awareness about keeping the beach free of charge. And then they asked for what ever I could do in spare change to support their cause. Anyway there was no charge to go to that beach and we pitched a tent and built a fire and camped the night. It was rear memorable time with my wife to be. That was probably around 1987.

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
Being in cutting edge low signal RF electronics, I do not believe anything I see on the web about stock levels etc....
I always call for the real story!!!!

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they do not even allow pack stock in a lot of the campgrounds and if so it under a special type of permit in Colorado and maybe else were to. I think the last time I stayed in a campground had to be over 20 years ago a lot has changed since then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread