Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B0376127-54F6-4EB5-89EA-7E411653E653.jpeg

So basically, I walked away from dirt fishing a few years ago when it got to be a little too distracting, shall we say, but not before I bought a new machine. And I’m not quite sure why, but in the last several weeks I started to get the bug again and so I broke out the old/new machine and started in on the front yard of the house my wife and I just moved into in Carmel Valley, California, which is just a bit inland from Carmel by the Sea.

If you read the photo from left to right, you can see how things progressed; First thing I dug up was the back-end of a pack mule cast in iron, which told me two things. First, that I’m undoubtedly an ass for starting in on this insanely addictive pastime once again, and second, that this old house (it’s a post-Adobe, which is old for these parts, anyway) probably has more old, forgotten things to show. So, I took it as a good sign overall and continued swinging, pulling up an old beer can pull top next (another good sign of times long past), and then what I thought was a 22 shell but turned out not to be. And then, ringing up a bit low, a nice little cross with the remnants of a broken chain still attached that just happened to have the word “sterling” on the back. Praise be. And finally, a few more swings and one last dig to uncover a 1955 S wheat penny before it got too dark to see.

So, what did I learn from this, my first dirt fishing experience in many years? As I mentioned above, that I’m probably an ass, though that’s no revelation. But I also learned that apparently I have the Good Lord‘s blessing to dig up as many old coins as I can find.

And for now, at least, I plan on doing exactly that.

Upvote 21

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1987812

So basically, I walked away from dirt fishing a few years ago when it got to be a little too distracting, shall we say, but not before I bought a new machine. And I’m not quite sure why, but in the last several weeks I started to get the bug again and so I broke out the old/new machine and started in on the front yard of the house my wife and I just moved into in Carmel Valley, California, which is just a bit inland from Carmel by the Sea.

If you read the photo from left to right, you can see how things progressed; First thing I dug up was the back-end of a pack mule cast in iron, which told me two things. First, that I’m undoubtedly an ass for starting in on this insanely addictive pastime once again, and second, that this old house (it’s a post-Adobe, which is old for these parts, anyway) probably has more old, forgotten things to show. So, I took it as a good sign overall and continued swinging, pulling up an old beer can pull top next (another good sign of times long past), and then what I thought was a 22 shell but turned out not to be. And then, ringing up a bit low, a nice little cross with the remnants of a broken chain still attached that just happened to have the word “sterling” on the back. Praise be. And finally, a few more swings and one last dig to uncover a 1955 S wheat penny before it got too dark to see.

So, what did I learn from this, my first dirt fishing experience in many years? As I mentioned above, that I’m probably an ass, though that’s no revelation. But I also learned that apparently I have the Good Lord‘s blessing to dig up as many old coins as I can find.

Very witty ditty. Enjoy the toil of the coil…

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1987812

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pack mule was a souvenir from somewhere. Those were a popular souvenir item in 'pioneer' areas. The place was painted or a decal on the long rectangular area on the side. When I was a kid I got one when we visited Calico Ghost Town in California.

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1987812

Welcome back to the hunt!

OP
OP
Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! It is quite an addictive hobby I must admit. The ground is about to freeze up for 6 mos so Tnet is all I got! I will be admiring all the finds from the warmer climes. Thanks for posting them.
Thanks, 'master. I swing an NMS, too, btw. But I don't get it--you're saying the ground actually freezes in the Winter in MT? Weird...

OP
OP
Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some pretty cool finds Bad Wolf! I like the cross and appreciate the story you told as well. I bet you’ll be finding some very interesting treasures in your area. Love the Carmel Valley area.
Thanks, Rich. Florida ain't too bad, either. And it's a Free State, too...

OP
OP
Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pack mule was a souvenir from somewhere. Those were a popular souvenir item in 'pioneer' areas. The place was painted or a decal on the long rectangular area on the side. When I was a kid I got one when we visited Calico Ghost Town in California.
Hi 'guy! Thanks so much for your insight about the pack mule. You're exactly right, I remember seeing them myself back in the day!

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, 'master. I swing an NMS, too, btw. But I don't get it--you're saying the ground actually freezes in the Winter in MT? Weird...
I am liking my Nokta so far, its a great little machine. It really locks onto coins amid junk targets. Yes, the ground will freeze absolutely solid as a rock in a couple weeks and remain frozen until late april. You would have a hard time getting in the ground with a pick-axe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread