Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B0376127-54F6-4EB5-89EA-7E411653E653.jpeg

So basically, I walked away from dirt fishing a few years ago when it got to be a little too distracting, shall we say, but not before I bought a new machine. And Iā€™m not quite sure why, but in the last several weeks I started to get the bug again and so I broke out the old/new machine and started in on the front yard of the house my wife and I just moved into in Carmel Valley, California, which is just a bit inland from Carmel by the Sea.

If you read the photo from left to right, you can see how things progressed; First thing I dug up was the back-end of a pack mule cast in iron, which told me two things. First, that Iā€™m undoubtedly an ass for starting in on this insanely addictive pastime once again, and second, that this old house (itā€™s a post-Adobe, which is old for these parts, anyway) probably has more old, forgotten things to show. So, I took it as a good sign overall and continued swinging, pulling up an old beer can pull top next (another good sign of times long past), and then what I thought was a 22 shell but turned out not to be. And then, ringing up a bit low, a nice little cross with the remnants of a broken chain still attached that just happened to have the word ā€œsterlingā€ on the back. Praise be. And finally, a few more swings and one last dig to uncover a 1955 S wheat penny before it got too dark to see.

So, what did I learn from this, my first dirt fishing experience in many years? As I mentioned above, that Iā€™m probably an ass, though thatā€™s no revelation. But I also learned that apparently I have the Good Lordā€˜s blessing to dig up as many old coins as I can find.

And for now, at least, I plan on doing exactly that.

Upvote 21

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1987812

So basically, I walked away from dirt fishing a few years ago when it got to be a little too distracting, shall we say, but not before I bought a new machine. And Iā€™m not quite sure why, but in the last several weeks I started to get the bug again and so I broke out the old/new machine and started in on the front yard of the house my wife and I just moved into in Carmel Valley, California, which is just a bit inland from Carmel by the Sea.

If you read the photo from left to right, you can see how things progressed; First thing I dug up was the back-end of a pack mule cast in iron, which told me two things. First, that Iā€™m undoubtedly an ass for starting in on this insanely addictive pastime once again, and second, that this old house (itā€™s a post-Adobe, which is old for these parts, anyway) probably has more old, forgotten things to show. So, I took it as a good sign overall and continued swinging, pulling up an old beer can pull top next (another good sign of times long past), and then what I thought was a 22 shell but turned out not to be. And then, ringing up a bit low, a nice little cross with the remnants of a broken chain still attached that just happened to have the word ā€œsterlingā€ on the back. Praise be. And finally, a few more swings and one last dig to uncover a 1955 S wheat penny before it got too dark to see.

So, what did I learn from this, my first dirt fishing experience in many years? As I mentioned above, that Iā€™m probably an ass, though thatā€™s no revelation. But I also learned that apparently I have the Good Lordā€˜s blessing to dig up as many old coins as I can find.

Very witty ditty. Enjoy the toil of the coilā€¦

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1987812

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pack mule was a souvenir from somewhere. Those were a popular souvenir item in 'pioneer' areas. The place was painted or a decal on the long rectangular area on the side. When I was a kid I got one when we visited Calico Ghost Town in California.

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1987812

Welcome back to the hunt!

OP
OP
Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! It is quite an addictive hobby I must admit. The ground is about to freeze up for 6 mos so Tnet is all I got! I will be admiring all the finds from the warmer climes. Thanks for posting them.
Thanks, 'master. I swing an NMS, too, btw. But I don't get it--you're saying the ground actually freezes in the Winter in MT? Weird...

OP
OP
Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some pretty cool finds Bad Wolf! I like the cross and appreciate the story you told as well. I bet youā€™ll be finding some very interesting treasures in your area. Love the Carmel Valley area.
Thanks, Rich. Florida ain't too bad, either. And it's a Free State, too...

OP
OP
Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pack mule was a souvenir from somewhere. Those were a popular souvenir item in 'pioneer' areas. The place was painted or a decal on the long rectangular area on the side. When I was a kid I got one when we visited Calico Ghost Town in California.
Hi 'guy! Thanks so much for your insight about the pack mule. You're exactly right, I remember seeing them myself back in the day!

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, 'master. I swing an NMS, too, btw. But I don't get it--you're saying the ground actually freezes in the Winter in MT? Weird...
I am liking my Nokta so far, its a great little machine. It really locks onto coins amid junk targets. Yes, the ground will freeze absolutely solid as a rock in a couple weeks and remain frozen until late april. You would have a hard time getting in the ground with a pick-axe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread