• rsz_dsc00639.jpg
    rsz_dsc00639.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,816
OP
OP
B

BigDan

Thank you targe

That is kind of what I was thinking. I may have a genuine naturally occuring stone which isn't really a native american artifact. It gets a reprieve from my bucket of odd stones, yet rather than promoted to the coffee table shadow box...it's taking a trip outside to the rock garden.

I appreciate the info! :thumbsup:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I have picked up quite a few of these as well because they're neat. I believe most, or even nearly all of them are natural with no artifactual use. I assume much of the confusion comes from the fact that many of them are iron concretions, meaning that when ground they produce a red pigment, similar to hemetite. Actual paint stones are also common but generally come in the form of a faceted piece of hemetite. I believe they were rubbed onto a plat stone, generating the flat facets rather then ground in a bowl or pot. I have never seen one of the paint pots that showed any sign of grinding within the bowl. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong but overall these are just cool rocks in my opinion.

ReconGrunt

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2021
CONUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I picked this up myself . Was always thinking it was a " Face Paint Bowl " seeing was found with tool and paint still inside. 20210103_175405.jpg

Last edited:

ReconGrunt

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2021
CONUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Couldn't tell ya. Was found around 2004/5 thinking! then been sitting in box with other rocks and things I've found. By far no expert. And I'm really not looking for the things I come across. Just end up probably where no one should go ..

ReconGrunt

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2021
CONUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah was really thinking of posting some other finds of mine , but not to sure anymore! Someone will just do that exact thing ... It's not legit !!!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You mean you don't want constructive criticism about your finds? Are you only after praise whether your finds are in fact NA artifacts or not? I can not understand that way of thinking.:dontknow:

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people who’s opinions count will always say “from the pictures” or “in my opinion”, because they know they could be wrong. So please go ahead and post stuff, and don’t be bothered by those who think they can judge from pics alone.

ReconGrunt

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2021
CONUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Honestly I could care less what anyone thinks about my finds . just think it's stupid to judge things by a photographer and you have no idea where it came from or the situation that said item was found . but everyone is a expert.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Honestly I could care less what anyone thinks about my finds .
Then why the reluctance to post them at all and get feedback? Someone just may know more about your finds than you do.

just think it's stupid to judge things by a photographer and you have no idea where it came from or the situation that said item was found .
You should recognize this as an opportunity and be forthcoming about these things--preferably up front.

but everyone is a expert.
That comment tells me that you already have a preconceived notion about what is about to happen and are not prepared to defend your stance and engage in enlightening conversation. Sarcasm is only inviting negative feedback or no feedback at all.

ReconGrunt

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2021
CONUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok. I don't have anymore face paint bowls that I've come across but what I do have I'll have to post under (What is This) so if you want to follow along I'm sure you'll find the first one very interesting. Because I have No idea....will be posting later today.

pageben745

Nov 14, 2018
Northern Tier Penna.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont wanna disrespect any one, maybe its a paint stone found in Pa. Chemung river. opinions welcome I have thick skin.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread