An Uncommon Coin Spill

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent two hours at a soccer field before a game was about to start and then moved to a softball field for another hour before calling it quits. In those three hours of hunting, I dug 48 coins with a face value of $9.72, including a coin spill of three 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. They were lost fairly recently because they were just barely starting to sink into the ground. I also dug a junk rhinestone earring and a soccer badge.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 48

cmart63

Aug 11, 2013
Are dollar coins used much in commerce in the US? When I was last there, they were a rarity and dollar bills were mostly being used.
$1 Coins are still not used often in commerce (except at Carwashes that give back your change in $1 coins and in Ice Vending Machines....lol...no joke. I put a $20 note in so I can get back 10 -$1 coins, just for fun. Might one day find the one they placed in cereal boxes.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I've used them at my local carwash, its the tokens (change) used to operate the Wash. I found it strange that the closer I got to CANADA , the more people actually use them(?)

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bet that earring had your heart racing for a minute.
For a second or two because I was hoping it was silver.....I didn't think the stones were diamonds or rubies. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I've used them at my local carwash, its the tokens (change) used to operate the Wash. I found it strange that the closer I got to CANADA , the more people actually use them(?)
Not really strange that closer to Canada people use them more because Canadians have been using their one and two dollar coins for quite a while.

arkynative

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in vending. All of our changers use a mix of the SBA and Pres dollars since they have the same magnetic signature. I would guess someone at a local factory or as posted earlier at a PO machine changed a $5 or $10 and culled the SBAs from the Pres dollars only to lose them. Anyone who thinks the dollar coins aren't in circulation doesn't see the coin buckets I see lol. That being said traditional vending is dying, as many large factories are transitioning to markets in the break rooms eliminating machines for a self check kiosk. Sadly also ending my free CRH days.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Post Office here in Reno used Susan B's as change in the stamp machines for years and I'm sure other locations did also. It angered a lot of people, too easy to confuse with quarters.
I was a bank teller when the SBA coins came out. Customers were very excited about the new coins. On Friday afternoon they came to cash pay checks and everyone wanted a few SBA's. The next Friday they started bringing them back to the bank. "Too similar to a quarter!" was almost everyone's complaint.

I do have a late 1970's pinball machine (Nitro Ground Shaker) that takes SBA's. 1 play for a quarter. 5 plays for an SBA. But I rigged it so I don't need coins... :laughing7:

Mike in NM

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2018
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff.....Over the years, I've found a few while detecting, but have never gotten one in circulation even though they've been around for 43 years now.
I dug one a couple months ago and then just received 2 in change from the local Circle K Thursday

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread