An Uncommon Coin Spill

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent two hours at a soccer field before a game was about to start and then moved to a softball field for another hour before calling it quits. In those three hours of hunting, I dug 48 coins with a face value of $9.72, including a coin spill of three 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. They were lost fairly recently because they were just barely starting to sink into the ground. I also dug a junk rhinestone earring and a soccer badge.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 48

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, I'm guessing that when the people sit in their lawn chairs to watch the event, the coins just roll out of their pockets. You would think someone would have studied this phenomenon and reported their findings?

Maybe certain types of chairs produce better results. I can see it now, a guy renting those types of chairs at the sporting events and he cleans up with his detector when they leave.

Reminds me of the time as a kid, we went to a county fair and you could hear the coins falling out of people's pockets and hitting the metal structure of this new ride like a ferris wheel except it tipped everyone upside down. The guy running the ride couldn't wait to clean up the coins at the end of the day!

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are dollar coins used much in commerce in the US? When I was last there, they were a rarity and dollar bills were mostly being used.
The dollar coins aren't used much. paper money is still everyone's method of purchasing things.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Are dollar coins used much in commerce in the US? When I was last there, they were a rarity and dollar bills were mostly being used.
I have not been to the carwash in one particular community that used dollar coins for thier bill changer , to feed the sprayers timers.
I used to hit it near St. Patricks day when they were using presidential "gold" coins. Not to use the wash. l.o.l..
(Post S.B.A. dollars being common.)

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool, I'm guessing that when the people sit in their lawn chairs to watch the event, the coins just roll out of their pockets. You would think someone would have studied this phenomenon and reported their findings?

Maybe certain types of chairs produce better results. I can see it now, a guy renting those types of chairs at the sporting events and he cleans up with his detector when they leave.

Reminds me of the time as a kid, we went to a county fair and you could hear the coins falling out of people's pockets and hitting the metal structure of this new ride like a ferris wheel except it tipped everyone upside down. The guy running the ride couldn't wait to clean up the coins at the end of the day!
There are many ways for people to lose their money and you named two of them. Chairs, carnival rides, holes in pockets, dropping them when reaching in pockets for keys, etc.etc. As long as they lose their coins I don't care how they do it. :laughing7:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent two hours at a soccer field before a game was about to start and then moved to a softball field for another hour before calling it quits. In those three hours of hunting, I dug 48 coins with a face value of $9.72, including a coin spill of three 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. They were lost fairly recently because they were just barely starting to sink into the ground. I also dug a junk rhinestone earring and a soccer badge.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You hardly ever see the Susan B's, found or in circulation- spill of 3- very coo- Congratsl!

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You hardly ever see the Susan B's, found or in circulation- spill of 3- very coo- Congratsl!
Thanks Jeff.....Over the years, I've found a few while detecting, but have never gotten one in circulation even though they've been around for 43 years now.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ran my wife's car through an automatic car wash recently in another town. 6 bucks for the wash option I chose. I stuck a 20 in the slot and it gave my change as 14 dollar coins. 3 Susan B's and the rest were various 'golden dollars'

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Post Office here in Reno used Susan B's as change in the stamp machines for years and I'm sure other locations did also. It angered a lot of people, too easy to confuse with quarters.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ran my wife's car through an automatic car wash recently in another town. 6 bucks for the wash option I chose. I stuck a 20 in the slot and it gave my change as 14 dollar coins. 3 Susan B's and the rest were various 'golden dollars'
That's one way to put them to use.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread