SW_PA_Chad

Greenie
Apr 22, 2022
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this button about a month ago at around 5 inches deep. It was about 20 ft from the Eagle Pommel I posted the other day. Unfortunately the back is missing. The button is very close to an example in Tice's book but smaller. It's around 16mm in diameter. I was hoping the button experts could help determine if it is a fashion button or a military item.
Thanks!
20221005_200713.jpg
20221005_200634.jpg
20221005_200404.jpg

Attachments

• 20221005_200650.jpg
    20221005_200650.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 32

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first thought when I saw your post a few days ago, was that it's a 'fashion or blazer' button. I've found a few of these over the years, but without a back, they're almost impossible to attribute to a specific maker. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S

SW_PA_Chad

Greenie
Apr 22, 2022
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first thought when I saw your post a few days ago, was that it's a 'fashion or blazer' button. I've found a few of these over the years, but without a back, they're almost impossible to attribute to a specific maker. :icon_scratch:
Dave
Thanks Dave. I thought so too. Maybe I will get lucky and find another one with the back.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the back is missing. The loop was probably attached to the flat bar and it broke off. Or it could have had two longer bars at a 90 degree angle that would have gone through what ever material and then flattened over to hold it on place. So, it would not have been a closure button but a fixed one like on a kepi or maybe an epaulet. Saying that I don't know what the button is but I would lean toward a civilian fashion one.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S

SW_PA_Chad

Greenie
Apr 22, 2022
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think the back is missing. The loop was probably attached to the flat bar and it broke off. Or it could have had two longer bars at a 90 degree angle that would have gone through what ever material and then flattened over to hold it on place. So, it would not have been a closure button but a fixed one like on a kepi or maybe an epaulet. Saying that I don't know what the button is but I would lean toward a civilian fashion one.
Thanks for checking it out. I will give the bar a closer inspection. Maybe it will have a maker or remnants of the loop. Let u know if I find anything.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread