ancient coin

Sammyt97

Oct 11, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tsoro DeLeon
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and pretty new to metal detecting.? I have only been doing it a year and a half, but it's a hobby I could do day and night.

I'm trying to identify this thing (I'm hoping I posted the picture right).? It's quite heavy and very decorative on both sides.? ? The design on both sides is similar. I thought it might be something to do with an old seal.? I found it by an Marina in Massachusetts.? Any help would be appreciated.? thanks so much.
?

I have included both sides of whatever it is.
Sammy T

OP
OP
Sammyt97

Sammyt97

Oct 11, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tsoro DeLeon
Hi all,

I brought this in to a very reputable numismatic dealer in town. There are three guys that work in the store one who specializes in ancient/world coins. He was not in when I went in, but the other two guys said they thought it was a coin. I've never seen anything like this but I know nothing about coins before the late 1700's or about other countries coins. A friend of mine who is quite knowledgable said that the rusting reminded him of copper. At any rate, thought I would see if anyone can offer any help at all.
Thanks.
Sammy

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If this is a coin it is very unusual-- every coin I've ever seen has some mark indicating denomination or value. All coins have some sort of indication of what country or province it is from, even if in a language you can't read. I've never seen a true coin with the same design on both sides (excepting charlatan tokens-- ie 2-headed quarters).

If this is copper (you might try a density test to determine this without damaging the patina), it probably isn't very old as copper doesn't weather well in the Massachussetts climate.

My guess is that it is some sort of game piece. But that is just a guess, based on what I see. At any rate it seems to hold some mystery, and that's half the fun of detecting!

Upvote 0
It appears to be brass/copper however, those metals do not rust they corrode (green).
I find that the only time there is rust spots on these metals, is when they have or had iron attached to them. Either it is a coin that sat with iron in the same hole, or it was some sort of decorative piece that was attached to something else. Not much help, but my 2 cents worth.
It's nice though, and I like it.
Dave.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sammyt97

Sammyt97

Oct 11, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tsoro DeLeon
David,

It's more help and info than I've been able to figure out myself, so thanks. Acutally thanks for the input from both you guys. It helps narrow it down.

Sammy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sammyt97

Sammyt97

Oct 11, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tsoro DeLeon
Just thought I'd let you all know, I spoke with a guy who's really knowledgable about coins and artifacts. It seems that this is not a coin as you suspected. This is an ancient lead weight. From approximately the 1600's. He (the guy who checked it out) said that it's either Dutch or French, definitely not English. It's exactly 3 ounces in weight and I thought he said it is welded together. (two pieces?) The corrosion is because it was buried with something iron or steel. Anyway, in case any of you guys find something like this, this is what it is.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread