Ancient Indian Artifacts in Northeast Kansas?

Aug 23, 2007
kansas
Hi guys, I'm new to this site ;D and enjoy reading the very usefull resources and knowledge of everyone on this forum.

Here"s a question for all who, might know. Where in Northeast Kansas can a person find any arrowheads or ancient archaic artfacts or sites. ???

Is there any sites close to Lawrence, Kansas a hint, to the right direction to find one would be very appreciate

;D Thank you for your time and advice.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I used to live in Lawrence and was back for my 30th high school reunion a few years ago, the area is sure growing. I would check the fields around Wakarusa river and also Clinton lake for arrowheads. Also the Perry/Lecompton area may be good along the river. With all the rivers and lakes you should be able to find at least a few fields that produce.

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
I live near Lawrence and the Kansas River is pretty high now. We got so much rain recently as last week. Best time is June - August, we didn't have much rain and I saw several people use the metal detectors on the sand in the river, when the water is very low and dry.

Richard

bigfish

Dec 19, 2006
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
The rivers are the best my dad and I have canoed down many of them in kansas mainly in the south we canoe to a sand bar then walk it and repeat. Great way to spend a sunny day and find some excellent points.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
For people just starting out the same general rule of thumb applies just about anywhere in the country and the others have also mentioned it, look in plowed fields along any natural body of water. As time goes on and you get better at recognizing sites it will get easier and you may expand your horizons and find sites away from the water but that takes time. Go get permission from the farmers along the rivers around there in the spring of the year when they have plowed and it has rained out- good luck! If you find stuff come and post it on the artifacts thread-

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're in a great part of Kansas to find artifacts. And being near Lawrence, you have a great resource at KU. Here is a link to a cool site that's got a lot of early KS history. This link is into the site, but explore the whole site. Quite a few tribes lived in NE KS.

http://www.kancoll.org/books/cutler/

For the people not in KS:
Its a little different getting on the plowed fields here in KS. We grow a lot of winter wheat. Its harvested at the end of June and then they usually run a disc over the field. This leaves the field VERY rough with the wheat stubble mixed in. We usually don't have any rain to smooth it until Sept or Oct. Then its time to plant again in early Oct. They will work the field which will smooth it then if you get some rain on it to bring out the artifacts. There is only a short time that the fields are accessable. I'm trying to get on a field this winter while the wheat is dormant to metal detect. As soon as this dang snow melts.

Oh yes, I grew up between Topeka and Lawrence. Now I'm south of Salina

Good luck

ksflinthunter

Oct 18, 2010
All you would have had to say to this guy is do your research on where they camped around that area. Then go check it out.

People give to much information these days about where to hunt but its the same people that complain about why theres so much people out there these days hunting for artifacts. Well, I wonder why.

And if you all dont understand why I keep my mouth shut about where I go.... Go hunt the Arkansas River down in Oklahoma and then you'll understand.

Its not uncommon to see 7 or 8 people a day down there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread