Ancient terracotta vs. modern terracotta?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
comparing the internal coloration can help if broken
you must know what the wall structure coloration is in an original, with variations, from that area/time

edit: also the density of the wall is different depending on the manner of construction (coiled, etc.)

w/o a basis for comparison, ? ?

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to school, study, study, study, examine thousands of examples in museums and become an expert. Sorry, there is no other way. Most, perhaps well over 90% of meso and south American pottery pieces that come on the market are fake, they are things to stay away from unless you are an expert. The indigenous people of central and south America have been faking pottery items at least since the 1950s so most of what we see for sale in this country are fakes. Japanese sword collectors have a saying that out of every ten Japanese swords for sale eleven are fakes, it is a similar situation with pottery artifacts from below our border. A lot of pottery artifacts from the mideast and asia are now being faked too, dog eat dog world out there and faking pottery is a simple task. On my first trip to Mexico around 1962 I saw lots of people standing along roadsides selling terracotta objects that were "muy antigua" and all fake. I was lucky enough to get to dig around a bit back then and did find lots of original sherds, obsidian blanks for making blades, and some other cool things. One cannot go there and do this anymore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My item appears to be Etruscan (unless it’s a fake). So no quick and easy way to identify age with terracotta?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Etruscan ? ? pottery ?
I grew up Firenze and Etruscan pottery is quite rare - and SUPER valuable

the iconography is fairly well known, a big-time auction house will tell you if you walk it in

(​fake)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, still no quick and easy way. When it comes to Etruscan repros and fakes, they have been doing that a lot longer in Italy longer than Mexico I think. I have a repro Etruscan pottery sculpture that my parents bought as a repro in the late 1940s. It is always possible that you have a real and valuable item but if it is real and valuable you should have no problem paying for a proper professional appraisal.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
interesting, but am not even qualified to spout an opinion

edit: don't think is Etruscan;
the hairstyle is distinct, as is the patterned headband and triangular face - something to look for
the eyes are not correct and it was not painted

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you suppose it may be from?

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent the pictures to Bob Dodge who is a well-known antiquities expert and appraiser (I saw him on Pawn Stars and tracked down his contact). He says it appears real and Etruscan to him based on the photos but says a TL test is needed to say for certain. That test runs about $400. A bit of a gamble as I’ll be flushing that money away if it turns out not to be real and have no idea what the value would be if it is. Glad to hear it has potential though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread