Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first one flooded with the control 2 ft underwater... I went down to 7 1/2/ feet with my new one and it held..

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The box lay next to me in 4 ft while I fan tatgets....to rocky for a scoop here so its snorkel and fan.
My first one flooded with the control 2 ft underwater... I went down to 7 1/2/ feet with my new one and it held..
Thanks guys that's what I was looking for. If we can confirm what it takes to leak it may help someone else with theirs.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree smokey..

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
After all these "flooded" posts, I've seen enough, won't be dipping mine in the water. That Excal II is pretty sweet anyway.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 78 year old buddy dunked his 600 and 800 in the tub . Now the 600 is showing the CD error message. He is packing it up as I type this. I know some guys in the beach hunting club and I am gonna tell them to dunk their machines. I will report back...

Calabash, I asked everyone about dunking mine in the tub and got the sense they thought it was dumb. How long after the purchase of the machine will ML replace a water damaged machine?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all these "flooded" posts, I've seen enough, won't be dipping mine in the water. That Excal II is pretty sweet anyway.

It's covered by warranty so wouldn't you want to know whether it was defective so you could get one that is sat?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, I asked everyone about dunking mine in the tub and got the sense they thought it was dumb. How long after the purchase of the machine will ML replace a water damaged machine?

Why did they think that was dumb? You are just trying to find out if you have a defective one in advance when you can afford to take the time to send it in for replacement rather than finding out at the worst time which is right at the beginning or in the middle of an actual water hunt. It appears the defective ones fail straight off due to some kind of gross leak defect so it doesn't have to be submerged at depth to find out quickly if you have a problem. Bathtub should work.

It has a 3-year warranty from date of purchase.

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dunked mine when I first bought it and did some submerged ocean detecting and always dunked in the pool to wash the saltwater off. Never a problem. Now I have 300 more hours on it and have dropped it hiking rocky trails, had it crash around in the trunk on a couple traffic incidents and have unfortunately wacked it with my shovel a couple times. Basically it has taken a beating and still works fine, but at this point I won’t submerge again. Logic tells me that it is no longer a water machine, but I’ll still use it in the rain and rinse under a hose when necessary.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to almost throw a machine off a mountain and have it work flawlessly. I've pretty much done that. Only thing I haven't done to my poor machines is run over them with my truck. They get tossed around all the time.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunked mine when I first bought it and did some submerged ocean detecting and always dunked in the pool to wash the saltwater off. Never a problem. Now I have 300 more hours on it and have dropped it hiking rocky trails, had it crash around in the trunk on a couple traffic incidents and have unfortunately wacked it with my shovel a couple times. Basically it has taken a beating and still works fine, but at this point I won’t submerge again. Logic tells me that it is no longer a water machine, but I’ll still use it in the rain and rinse under a hose when necessary.

DUNK IT!!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd look at it as an opportunity to get a new nox. Heck, you are pretty close to the repair center so you would get it back asap. If it has already survived so far, unlikely it will leak as the failures appear to be due to manufacturing defects that manifest themselves after the first or second dunking. But better to know while it is still under warranty.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when prices rise on the NOX we can blame the force flooders/divers and the people that just wanted a new machine before warranty expired.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when prices rise on the NOX we can blame the force flooders/divers and the people that just wanted a new machine before warranty expired.

Well that makes no sense. No one is advocating force flooding anything or committing fraud to get a new machine. The machine was advertised and supposedly designed to be watertight to 10 feet. If it dies in a bathtub or in the water at less than 10 feet before the 3-year warranty expires, then it is defective pain and simple and ML should be (and, so far, has been) standing behind their product claims by providing a non-defective replacement and without gouging future buyers. If they have to invest effort into fixing a design issue rather than a manufacturing issue, and that requires additional manufacturing costs then they have 3 choices, eat the cost, pass it in to the consumer (bad move from a public relations standpoint) or simply come clean and remove claims of watertightness from the spec (another bad move as they will have to compensate all the previous Equinox buyers for a false performance claim). This is ML's issue and they should have reduced their exposure by better factory quality control measures as they should be able to withstand 100 % of users dunking their machines in accordance with their performance feature claim of water tightness.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, V, you are right, but it they get enough call backs, just like with cars, they will probably increase the price of it, but marginally. They will look at their profit margin. They probably will anyway unless the competition smokes them this winter season.

Prices don't tend to fall. But it has nothing to do with dunk/no dunk.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not supposed to be able flood one in under 10 feet......so dunking or going in the water with it is exactly what they are advertising. So they will eat there words in there advertising campaign. I planned on going in the water with it from the get go because of this advertising. If dunking it in the tub causes it to flood then there guilty of false advertising and/or faulty craftsmanship. Either way that's on them not me for taking it in the water. I took mine straight from the box to the ocean. They really should give a set of waterproof head phones with every purchase. I guarantee that most failures are at the headphone jack. People go right in with the port open or with the stock....not waterproof headphones. The standard set of headphones should be waterproof that would cut there warranty work in half.....why would you supply anything but water proof head phones with a machine that's advertised as waterproof. This machine is not waterproof until you make it so by making an additional purchase of waterproof headphones. I thought that was kind of deceptive on there part.....I was seconds from plunging in with the stock phones. At the last second common since told me that this jack just can't be waterproof ?? After going back to the truck and carefully reading the manual I realized I came very close to destroying the machine. I closed the port and jumped in with only the external speaker......I could barley here it at full blast under water. It's a tool for me like a hammer....if you cant hit the nail as hard as you want for the fear of breaking the hammer then ...well....do I really want that hammer ? So far my nox hammer has worked as advertised and I'm surely not gonna baby it. With out a tank your never gonna be able to scan the bottom in ten feet of water while still breathing from your snorkel.....you just cant reach the bottom with the coil with out diving down. So technically speaking 4-6 foot is about as deep as I can comfortably snorkel and still be able to reach the bottom with the coil. At 7-8 feet the shaft is to short to be able to get the coil close enough to the bottom to be effective while still being able breathe through a snorkel. You can only water detect to 6 feet with a snorkel before you need compressed air to breathe so you can stay down and effectively scan and dig. Up and down free diving is much less effective when scanning and digging. This is a wading and snorkeling machine that's all....not a diving machine.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For detectors, prices usually stay the same or fall as better, cheaper machines come out. Equinox actually accelerated this trend. Nokta/Makro is about to push the more for less envelope further with the Simplex. ML would be making a huge business mistake changing the Equinox price upwards and it goes against current trends in detector pricing (including the ML Vanquish price estimates), but ML HAS recently increased pricing on some of their older niche gold detectors still in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread