Angry at Sloppy MDers!

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday after some research I headed out to a very old campsite within sight of a Historical Marker. Once at the campsite, I headed off to a wooded area where I thought perhaps could have been a route that bandits could have taken a century or so ago.
I was excited to begin my search, however, as I started to look around, I found Hole after Hole that was dug, left un-filled with the trash that was uncovered left beside the open hole.
I was absolutely furious! I looked around to see if I could see any one swinging a detector to no avail.
Back to the car I went to grab my trash sack and went to every hole picking up the trash and covering the holes one after one.
If you are going to dig, FOLLOW THE ETHICS AND REMOVE THE TRASH AND COVER YOUR DIG! It should look like you were never there when you leave! If you MD this way and are reading this post, stop MDing until you can follow the ethics put forth. It's very simple. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T! [emoji36]
Ok, I'm done with my rant for now.

Upvote 0

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There will always be people out there like this. It sucks. You did the right thing by cleaning up after them though, their disregard/disrespect for the environment in which they are detecting is what leads to area after area being closed off to our hobby.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday after some research I headed out to a very old campsite within sight of a Historical Marker. Once at the campsite, I headed off to a wooded area where I thought perhaps could have been a route that bandits could have taken a century or so ago.
I was excited to begin my search, however, as I started to look around, I found Hole after Hole that was dug, left un-filled with the trash that was uncovered left beside the open hole.
I was absolutely furious! I looked around to see if I could see any one swinging a detector to no avail.
Back to the car I went to grab my trash sack and went to every hole picking up the trash and covering the holes one after one.
If you are going to dig, FOLLOW THE ETHICS AND REMOVE THE TRASH AND COVER YOUR DIG! It should look like you were never there when you leave! If you MD this way and are reading this post, stop MDing until you can follow the ethics put forth. It's very simple. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T! [emoji36]

Amen!

roninrus1

Oct 11, 2014
Deer Park, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will always be people out there like this. It sucks. You did the right thing by cleaning up after them though, their disregard/disrespect for the environment in which they are detecting is what leads to area after area being closed off to our hobby.

And those same people are in any hobby or anything else you do.
Drive 10 mph below speed limit while talking on the phone - in the fast lane!
Throw their trash in the water or on the bank while fishing.
You get the idea.
And remember - stupid ain't against the law and their incestuous parents weren't caught.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, there are no life guards or restrictions in the gene pool.
luvsdux

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW This sort of activity is one of the main reasons I don't care for "Diggers". Raises interest in the hobby to a lot of these folks that otherwise wouldn't have given a thought to buying a detector IMHO.
luvsdux

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I detect at the old farm and I am forever filling in holes and removing trash. I did confront one hunter and he said "I leave the trash for you guy's"??? :BangHead:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of this very reason we had over 68,000-acres of public forest preserve lands shut down to metal detecting several years ago.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
People who do this are self absorbed fools. It's this very condition that separates us all. It's one of the things that bums me out about some people.
You did the right thing mus1k4u. Thank you for caring!

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Worst thing is some who dont leave the mess would not taken the time to get it fixed up.We must police our own if we dont "they"will and we all know they handle it with bans.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been md for two yrs and always cover my plugs and try my best too cover all traces of my plug. one
day I was hunting my favorite old park which I hunt hundred of times and notice a woman with her husband watch ing me , I finished md and left and saw that my plugs where covered up. I returned to the park a few days later and to my amazement saw that someone had removed the plugs completely and left holes. The same woman and husband where there and saw husband on the phone and she approached me and told me that was destroying the park and police showed up . Luckily I have permit to detect local parks. I think that woman and husband came back and removed the plugs and set me up

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been md for two yrs and always cover my plugs and try my best too cover all traces of my plug. one
day I was hunting my favorite old park which I hunt hundred of times and notice a woman with her husband watch ing me , I finished md and left and saw that my plugs where covered up. I returned to the park a few days later and to my amazement saw that someone had removed the plugs completely and left holes. The same woman and husband where there and saw husband on the phone and she approached me and told me that was destroying the park and police showed up . Luckily I have permit to detect local parks. I think that woman and husband came back and removed the plugs and set me up

That is the most screwed up thing I have ever read! That Woman and her Husband need help. To think that they would take the time to uncover plugs that were covered to create a diversion to the truth is insane!

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a special site I hunted all summer and found many colonial relics. I went back in the fall and was happy and proud that after digging maybe hundreds of holes
I could find no evidence whatsoever that I was there. Of course this is how it is supposed to be, and the vast majority of us work this way. I have also filled holes
others have left. Hopefully those who are too lazy to fill their holes are too lazy to persue the hobby very long.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I hunted that park and I returned I myself couldn't see my old plugs and that women and husband set me up

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a special site I hunted all summer and found many colonial relics. I went back in the fall and was happy and proud that after digging maybe hundreds of holes
I could find no evidence whatsoever that I was there. Of course this is how it is supposed to be, and the vast majority of us work this way. I have also filled holes
others have left. Hopefully those who are too lazy to fill their holes are too lazy to persue the hobby very long.

I agree. I find great comfort in knowing that MDing is not for the lazy! [emoji16]
It takes patience, tenacity,perseverance and dedication to be good at it.
People who do not follow our ethics won't stay around long as they are swinging fast trying to find that elusive treasure. The desire will burn out, their detectors will collect dust and then we can buy their stuff really cheap on Craigs List! [emoji23]

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

These people are no different than the fools that leave the holes unattended! They would destroy the park themselves to get the very action they abhor condemned! What????

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We need a crew of official MDing pipehitters for this. I'd put Nugs Bunny and Keppy in charge, and a few big boys to lay some beat down on nonconformist MDers.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mus1k4u ... I am proud of ya...
You did the right thing...
I have had "run ins" before with idiot mdrs...
I am a laid back guy until I see crap like that...
I will tell someone off... loudly and make a complete ass of them if I see it...
which tends to bring out "the best" in people.

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the number one problem we face, the number one cause for places becoming off limits and we should do what we can to encourage others to be respectful. It would be nice to see twenty threads on responsible digging instead of twenty threads trying to justify trespassing ignoring regulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions