Angry at Sloppy MDers!

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday after some research I headed out to a very old campsite within sight of a Historical Marker. Once at the campsite, I headed off to a wooded area where I thought perhaps could have been a route that bandits could have taken a century or so ago.
I was excited to begin my search, however, as I started to look around, I found Hole after Hole that was dug, left un-filled with the trash that was uncovered left beside the open hole.
I was absolutely furious! I looked around to see if I could see any one swinging a detector to no avail.
Back to the car I went to grab my trash sack and went to every hole picking up the trash and covering the holes one after one.
If you are going to dig, FOLLOW THE ETHICS AND REMOVE THE TRASH AND COVER YOUR DIG! It should look like you were never there when you leave! If you MD this way and are reading this post, stop MDing until you can follow the ethics put forth. It's very simple. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T! [emoji36]
Ok, I'm done with my rant for now.

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job!There really is no excuse for it.Just ignorance,lazyness,and like you said Lack of respect. First thing I do when I get a new permission is bring a trash bag.Although the trash I usually pick up is what was thrown from the road.Before long have to do it again.Just like fishing,I wont go without a trash bag.Its a shame, but just the way it is.I say even if its not for the hobby or anything else,do it for yourself!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the number one problem we face, the number one cause for places becoming off limits and we should do what we can to encourage others to be respectful. It would be nice to see twenty threads on responsible digging instead of twenty threads trying to justify trespassing ignoring regulations.

Yawn....

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been md for two yrs and always cover my plugs and try my best too cover all traces of my plug. one
day I was hunting my favorite old park which I hunt hundred of times and notice a woman with her husband watch ing me , I finished md and left and saw that my plugs where covered up. I returned to the park a few days later and to my amazement saw that someone had removed the plugs completely and left holes. The same woman and husband where there and saw husband on the phone and she approached me and told me that was destroying the park and police showed up . Luckily I have permit to detect local parks. I think that woman and husband came back and removed the plugs and set me up

It's also possible that animals uncovered your holes. I've had that happen to me. Racoons are particularly good at doing this. They do it because they smell you in the dirt and think there might be food there. If I'm in an area that may have a lot of small animals, I wear gloves so I don't leave the smell behind. That seems to work.

Scott

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's also possible that animals uncovered your holes. I've had that happen to me. Racoons are particularly good at doing this. They do it because they smell you in the dirt and think there might be food there. If I'm in an area that may have a lot of small animals, I wear gloves so I don't leave the smell behind. That seems to work.

Scott

That's what I've been thinking the whole time while reading everyone's posts.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scott

That thought hadn't crossed my mind in the past srcdco, thank you for bringing it up.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scott

I wish that were the case with my original post...unless they were so smart that they left the trash on the same side of every hole. It was a sloppy irresponsible individual(s)....

To merit what Scott stated, besides masking your scent (never thought of that but you are correct) you should always wear gloves to protect your hands from sharp objects such as glass, rusty nails etc... I have even dug up nasty syringes. Better to be safe!

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been md for two yrs and always cover my plugs and try my best too cover all traces of my plug. one
day I was hunting my favorite old park which I hunt hundred of times and notice a woman with her husband watch ing me , I finished md and left and saw that my plugs where covered up. I returned to the park a few days later and to my amazement saw that someone had removed the plugs completely and left holes. The same woman and husband where there and saw husband on the phone and she approached me and told me that was destroying the park and police showed up . Luckily I have permit to detect local parks. I think that woman and husband came back and removed the plugs and set me up

Question. If your holes were all covered to the extent u claim, how in the world did those people find and uncover them all?

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question. If your holes were all covered to the extent u claim, how in the world did those people find and uncover them all?

I've found that in some dry dirt, you're not going to get it all back in the hole and breaks up as you search it in your hand. No matter how much you try, a dusting surrounds the hole. It usually washes of at first rain, but until then you can see a disturbed outline.

Yes I use a towel, and dragging the dirt out of the hole causes the same effect.

Last edited:

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish that were the case with my original post...unless they were so smart that they left the trash on the same side of every hole. It was a sloppy irresponsible individual(s)....

To merit what Scott stated, besides masking your scent (never thought of that but you are correct) you should always wear gloves to protect your hands from sharp objects such as glass, rusty nails etc... I have even dug up nasty syringes. Better to be safe!

Ohh no mus1k4u, I wasn't suggesting it towards your post, I just meant I had never thought about that happening before, with holes I have found uncovered. Sorry I should have clarified my statement, apologies given.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common sense isn't all that common anymore..

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohh no mus1k4u, I wasn't suggesting it towards your post, I just meant I had never thought about that happening before, with holes I have found uncovered. Sorry I should have clarified my statement, apologies given.

No apologies needed! The gloves really made me think about all involved in what we do. I've always worn them for safety, not thinking about varmints! Lol

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found that in some dry dirt, you're not going to get it all back in the hole and breaks up as you search it in your hand. No matter how much you try, a dusting surrounds the hole. It usually washes of at first rain, but until then you can see a disturbed outline.

Yes I use a towel, and dragging the dirt out of the hole causes the same effect.

Yea, it sucks when you cut a plug and then fill it back in to where it appears to be full, only to look over and see a huge clump of dirt that didnt make it in the hole.

The dry clay/dirt here does that too, its so compact that once it is disturbed, it seems to have grown...lol

As I mentioned on other posts...the only holes i see all over the place are those left my deer/hogs or squirrels

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason they found my holes cause they were following me around like tight behind me . Do animals carry off the plugs???

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

Texas dirt for most of the year is that dry type. To leave a dig like you were never there just isn't possible lots of the year. It is easy for preaching about neat digs is you live in sweet, moist soil with good grass roots. We all don't live where you do.

The way I look at it is, if I can make the refilled hole flat to the earth's surface, I've done enough. What's else to do? Quit detecting for most of the year cuz we can't make "sweet-soil" refills? martin

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys no joke here but skunks ate the animals who make us look bad. They dig for grubs and worms etc and have a real good sense if smell. The key here is they can smell freshly dug soil and loose soil is easier for them to dig for food so they dig up our plugs and break them apart searching for food. I've not heard nor seen of raccoons doing this but im sure its possible however raccoons like to eat clean food and digging and eating straight from the ground isn't like them(grandpop was a coon hunter and I learned a lot from him on the subject..useless knowledge) anyway skunks are what get us in trouble plus the occasional lazy idiot or woman with husband

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
i was that guy, I'm sad to say. It wasn't because I'm a prick, inbred, or an ass hat -- it was because i was new to the hobby and just didn't know. It wasn't until I found this site and read some of the threads that I realized the mistakes I was making. I have only been MD'ing for a few months, and I too have come across a few dinks, including a guy who put his trash back into the hole just to keep the other MD'ers away from "his" stuff, but I think the vast majority are good people who just haven't learned yet. Leaving your garbage all around the lake you are fishing is a no-brainer; litter is litter. Digging a crappy hole because you haven't learned the idea of "plugging" yet, or worse, not filling in your holes properly is not something that is drilled into our brains like littering is.

I guess what I'm saying is keep educating people because it works, but maybe ease up on some of the insults... If someone had "confronted" me at the park, it would have been a horrible embarrassment and it may have ended poorly for either of us. (I'm a big fella with a short fuse (I'm also a wimp)).

In other news, I had a killer day this week: five earrings (all junk), one silver ring, one gold bracelet, an old skeleton key, my first wheat penny, and a steel penny that would've gone in the trash if it hadn't stuck to a magnet that I also dug up... it was beat up worse than most of the zincoln's I dig.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scott

I have had crows pull up my plugs looking for worms or bugs I guess.

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It really stinks that a few can ruin it for all of us. The only good part is that the pigs will only last for a season. Same guys that throw fast food bags out of the car window and I have to look at 100 feet of napkins and french fries. It ticks me off, bad. Fill all holes ,your's or not. Pick up your trash and at least some of whats around. Take a bag with you. It's up to us because the slobs aren't going to do it. Sorry for the rant, but really.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas dirt for most of the year is that dry type. To leave a dig like you were never there just isn't possible lots of the year. It is easy for preaching about neat digs is you live in sweet, moist soil with good grass roots. We all don't live where you do.

The way I look at it is, if I can make the refilled hole flat to the earth's surface, I've done enough. What's else to do? Quit detecting for most of the year cuz we can't make "sweet-soil" refills? martin

I hear ya. Dry black gumbo is tuff to dig in. Usually try to scrape some leaves or dead grass on top after stomping the plug, ( or crumbled clods ) back in place. Even after doing my best there are only so many plugs I dig in a close area before I move to a different location and give them time to heal. Otherwise the area looks like crap from digging. I've done a area, turned around and said oh crap. That looks terrible and go back and try to patch the gumbo better. That's when I move on.

Last edited:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The areas I hunt are most usually devoid of grass and have plenty of wildlife and Armadillos ( they never fill there plugs). The dirt has a lot of sand so it fills easily.

The few times I've dug into San Augustine grass I feel a little guilty; I try and make a little whole with my pinpointed and go around the roots..

I have seen a few spots that are tore up though..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions