traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This perplexed me the day I found it and still does. When I first found it, I thought it might be the front piece of a Louisiana two-piece belt plate, but I do not think so now. It is very thin, only about .04" thick on the part I have. And I can find nothing like it in the Belt plate book I have. It is nonferrous and appears to be brass. It appears to be an angry pelican with its mouth open, but I could be wrong on that, but it is definitely a bird. The measurements on my caliper are in inches. Thanks for any help you can be. The little white specs on it are from wax. I did not notice till I blew up pictures and I am too lazy today to get it back out and photograph again.

Attachments

• swan1.jpg
    swan1.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 157
  • swan 2.jpg
    swan 2.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 116
  • swan3.jpg
    swan3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • swan4.jpg
    swan4.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Kate~ScienceNerd

Dec 3, 2021
.04" is the thickness of 18-gauge brass sheet metal used in jewelry making. That's definitely a swan, and from the orientation, I'd guess this is a pendant and not a belt buckle. It appears unfinished as the edges haven't been trimmed. Beeswax is used for a lot of purposes in jewelry-making, including casting, but this doesn't sound like a cast piece given its thickness.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, I've just picked up a few things from repairing vintage jewelry. Somebody who knows vintage jewelry could probably tell you how old this is.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.04" is the thickness of 18-gauge brass sheet metal used in jewelry making. That's definitely a swan, and from the orientation, I'd guess this is a pendant and not a belt buckle. It appears unfinished as the edges haven't been trimmed. Beeswax is used for a lot of purposes in jewelry-making, including casting, but this doesn't sound like a cast piece given its thickness.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, I've just picked up a few things from repairing vintage jewelry. Somebody who knows vintage jewelry could probably tell you how old this is.
ok. Thank you for comment

Upvote 1

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a mangled button cover. you can see how those edges would have made a place with a slot for the button to slide into.

Edit i now see it is rather large, 2 inches. Maybe it went on leather for decoration of horse tack

Upvote 1
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a mangled button cover. you can see how those edges would have made a place with a slot for the button to slide into.

Edit i now see it is rather large, 2 inches. Maybe it went on leather for decoration of horse tack
Now horse tack makes sense. I have some heart shaped pieces for tack I found and they are about same thickness. Good thought.

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Somewhere in the back reaches of memory (mother collected glass swans) and other items.
It kind of reminds me of a lid for a dressing table container.
Oval shape isn't a horse tack rosette usually as they tend to be round.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere in the back reaches of memory (mother collected glass swans) and other items.
It kind of reminds me of a lid for a dressing table container.
Oval shape isn't a horse tack rosette usually as they tend to be round.
Good point. Thanks.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking 'swan'. Victorian/Edwardian brooch or sash buckle. Those guys were nuts about symbolism. The swan was symbolic in many ways to many people.
I had it called swan to start with but it looks just like the pelican called saber pelican on buckle in Louisiana. So I switched to pelican. It could be either. Thanks a ton for comment. I am fairly sure it has nothing to do with a buckle though. Just very similar image.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 2
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean. But the buckle represents "A pelican in her piety" - piercing her breast to feed her young with her own blood. It implies self-sacrifice. Your piece lacks the other elements of the symbolism. I still think 'swan'.
May be a swan. Not disagreeing. Just not that clear. But one thing getting clear. There is likely not going to be a clear call on what purpose was. So I am back to the edge of those woods years ago in Georgia.

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to stay away from that place when I was in Paris. Not judging those girls but not my glass of wine.
Toulon,Christmas Eve 1973. Worst damn place I think I,ve ever been. No class. French Naval base and for some reason they didn,t like Marines and there were ships from every Navy in the Med there for liberty.Not my fondest memory of Europe.On the other hand,Valencia,Spain was lovely,in every sense.Enjoyed it immensely.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toulon,Christmas Eve 1973. Worst damn place I think I,ve ever been. No class. French Naval base and for some reason they didn,t like Marines and there were ships from every Navy in the Med there for liberty.Not my fondest memory of Europe.On the other hand,Valencia,Spain was lovely,in every sense.Enjoyed it immensely.
we are just a couple of world travelers. I saw a lot. I missed a lot.

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we are just a couple of world travelers. I saw a lot. I missed a lot.
I never got to go up in the North Sea area,that,s called a NATO cruise,or the Atlantic coast of Europe.All in the Med.I spent more time on ship than some sailors.Genoa,Italy is another fond memory.Beautiful harbor,lovely city,friendly people and excellent food,most excellent food.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never got to go up in the North Sea area,that,s called a NATO cruise,or the Atlantic coast of Europe.All in the Med.I spent more time on ship than some sailors.Genoa,Italy is another fond memory.Beautiful harbor,lovely city,friendly people and excellent food,most excellent food.
I spent many days walking along the Cleveland Way along the North Sea Bluffs. I love the North Sea. Wild. Great little port town called Whitby that has some wonderful fish and chips and mushy peas. I believe Captain Cook did his apprenticeship there. I am getting homesick for Yorkshire.

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent many days walking along the Cleveland Way along the North Sea Bluffs. I love the North Sea. Wild. Great little port town called Whitby that has some wonderful fish and chips and mushy peas. I believe Captain Cook did his apprenticeship there. I am getting homesick for Yorkshire.
And there,s a big statute of Chris Columbus in Genoa.His Hometown.I often wish i had gotten to the North Sea,I volunteered for a unit that was going but my guys wouldn,t let me transfer. Funny how a lot of ports have great food.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions