Anna Maria Island

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Well, we finally made it out together.? Omni and I (and our faithful young sidekicks) met up about 945am and headed out to the public beach on the Gulf side of Anna Maria.? The beach was packed and the surf (and tide) were high.? Since he hunts with a water unit he hit the surf line and I hit the wet/dry line.? I was forced into the zig-zag pattern from hell so as to avoid stepping on anyone, but the general public was very supportive and curious, with the only hostility coming from a well-to-do woman who "didn't want me near her or her private beach".? I graciously apologized and made my way to the other end of my search pattern, conveniently leaving out the fact that the only sign in the area quite plainly said "Manatee public beach".? No bigee, plenty of beach to go around.? I found a bunch of the typical garbage as well as 2N, 2P and 1D.? I finally hit a 1964 coin; of course it had to be the nickel.?

After a less than stellar showing, we decided to head over to the intercoastal side where we found a wonderfully calm, narrow, and much less populated beach.? Within minutes I had my only somewhat impressive find of the day, a piece of a rosary that was standing sideways at about 2".? After that, nothing but garbage.? We were treated to a wild dolphin show as a pod of bottlenose leaped and played a few hundred yards from shore, and our kids got along swimmingly (pun intended).? Not too much in the line of finds, but great company, great excercise (I am SO sore!) and a beautiful day.? Thanks for the company, the stories and the suggestion for the grass, Omni.? I promptly went home, switched on in the front yard and found a 1982 penny... right in the plug, just as promised.? You da man!? We'll definately have to do it again real soon.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Ah yes! Was great to get out to hunt again! Today I found a treasure in the experience! Although I probably could have missed having my shins creased by errant skimboards at the first beach! I hunted the surf and got pounded! Found some pennies that some kids had tossed at me in the water when I wasn't looking! Eyed the spring breaker girls, some weren't wearing enough cloth to blow your nose in! It was a blast! At the second beach, things were much calmer and more laid back. The kids swam, dolphins played right off the beach and I really enjoyed seeing KevFL come up with a great find! All around a great day with great company! I give it two thumbs way up! A must do again soon! HH omnicognic 8)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Life is so tough for you guys on the beach. I got out for about 45 min today. Storms blowing all around, steady wind at 40 MPH gusting to over 50 MPH & dirt & dust flying, wind chill 36 degrees. It didn't help my cold & cough at all, but it made me feel better anyway & it wasn't wasted. I have to post under What Is It. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions