Another 1600s Kettle Point - Brass Arrowhead Found Today

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another 17th century trade kettle point today at the same site that produced two similar points last week!

PA250136.JPG

Recent rains after a long drought has really helped these brass points to sing out loud and clear on my XP Deus. All three arrow points came out of the same exact spot where I pulled a barbed fishing spear a few weeks ago when the soil was a dry powder. I hammered the spot but found nothing, but I’ve now found three brass kettle points after the rains left the soil damp enough to pull 10” plugs. Here’s all four brass recoveries from the mid-to-late 1600s; today's point in the middle is far more complete than the first two points.

PA250162 (2).JPG

The Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian website has some 3-D illustrations showing how brass kettles were obtained in trade and repurposed into arrow points, fish hooks, jewelry, and other items. The have a brass point still tied to the wooden shaft in their collection.

Picture2.png Picture5.png

I also further cleaned the 1600s latten spoon that I had posted last week, which was also found at the same site. The silver wash is entirely intact, and the hand-engraved design done by an Algonquin Indian can now be clearly seen.

PA220118.JPG

Good Hunting!

Upvote 24

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I don't think I've found more than one on any spot, with the exception of the one in northern PA. You're nailing it.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Tree Chaser,

Great hunt, the brass arrowheads are awesome. Thank you for the historical background, I learned something new that was very interesting. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds again.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think those spoons we tinned not silver plated. Doesn't really matter much with the design & nice makers marks though.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! These points are so cool. I never really understood the process until your post. Now I appreciate the history even more of such an interesting historic period.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I don't think I've found more than one on any spot, with the exception of the one in northern PA. You're nailing it.

Smokey – Thanks – At this site, I nailed it figuratively and literally. Here’s several of more than a dozen copper nails and tacks that I recovered from the exact area that produced the points and fishing spear.

PA260172.JPG

The Algonquin who lived in this wigwam certainly appears to have specialized as a metalsmith in the working of English brass, copper, etc. The larger nail on the right looks like a pipe tamper to me. I found one other pipe tamper many years ago fashioned from the handle end of a seal spoon.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Tree Chaser,

Great hunt, the brass arrowheads are awesome. Thank you for the historical background, I learned something new that was very interesting. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Walt - Thanks for the comment. These are momentous finds in terms of a changing history. Excluding far-circulated Copper Culture points from the Great Lakes region, native tribes utilized stone points for thousands of years, but stone material was completely abandoned after metal became widely available from the English and other Europeans making contact and settling along the East Coast in the 1600s.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so jeleous. Congrats

You have a good chance of finding such points up your way, but they won't likely be found at the beach! :laughing7: I first read and heard about trade kettle points about +15 years ago and had hoped to find just one all this time until now, so I'm making up for all this waiting with three points recovered in one small area the size of an average bathroom. :hello2:

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru - Your a 100% correct. Such spoons were dipped in molten tin, and this particular spoon was double-dipped in tin; the maker's mark states "DOUBLE WHITED." I believe the term tin washed, silver washed, and whited are interchangeable, as they all mean the same thing. While the coating is tin, the intent was to have it appear as a flashy silver spoon. It's like electroplated gold jewelry sold today on the Home Shopping Network.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a good chance of finding such points up your way, but they won't likely be found at the beach! :laughing7: I first read and heard about trade kettle points about +15 years ago and had hoped to find just one all this time until now, so I'm making up for all this waiting with three points recovered in one small area the size of an average bathroom. :hello2:
That's awesome. I have 1 but it's bent

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! These points are so cool. I never really understood the process until your post. Now I appreciate the history even more of such an interesting historic period.

Keith my friend, It's plain to see that you have a real appreciation for great pieces of history, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do for you: I'll send you these fantastic finds, the kettle points and the fish spear, and I'll take your silver musket parts in trade. That's a good trade, but wait, there's more. To sweeten the deal, I'll send you a framed photo to keep of your musket parts after I have them professionally displayed in a teak wood display case with gold trim, because that's the kind of guy I am. :evil5::evil5::evil5: I'll e-mail you my shipping address.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keith my friend, It's plain to see that you have a real appreciation for great pieces of history, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do for you: I'll send you these fantastic finds, the kettle points and the fish spear, and I'll take your silver musket parts in trade. That's a good trade, but wait, there's more. To sweeten the deal, I'll send you a framed photo to keep of your musket parts after I have them professionally displayed in a teak wood display case with gold trim, because that's the kind of guy I am. :evil5::evil5::evil5: I'll e-mail you my shipping address.
Well now that you have offered the framed photo! I like your silver Mass. shilling and gold colonial cuff links, you can send those too!!:occasion14:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats and thank you for the information. I have never seen these metal points, nor do I know much about them. Your posts help. I hope you find some more!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are finding some really "sharp" :laughing7: relicss at that location! Nice progress on the spoon cleanup! :icon_thumright:
The pattern on the spoon bowl reminds me of a turtle shell...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are finding some really "sharp" :laughing7: relicss at that location! Nice progress on the spoon cleanup! :icon_thumright:
The pattern on the spoon bowl reminds me of a turtle shell...

Thanks on the comments. I'm soaking it a bit further and will clean it one last time but no further. From what I’ve recently read, eight-pointed stars or octograms enclosed in a circle were used by Native Americans, to symbolize hope, guidance, and protection, but I haven't found any solid sources for information on this supposed symbol use.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the brass points, and the clean up on the spoon. It's great t hear that the latest recoveries were obtained after some much needed moisture. Best of luck on the next outing.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beauty that would be so cool to find good job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread